Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone sorry they had the VSG surgery?

Very new here so forgive a stupid question but is this typical to still not be on liquids 1.5 weeks after surgery? What is a TPN? Thanks.

Even with all my complications, the leak, I have absolutely zero regrets about revising to the Sleeve. The Band was horrible for me, and I didn't regret having it done, but my life was miserable with it.

I know I am just a 1.5 week out, and my recovery is still on-going. I'm not even on Clear Liquids yet. I have a central line with a TPN for another week before I can even move onto anything by mouth. I'll admit this is not fun, it's exhausting, but I have no pain like I did with the band everyday, I'm not sure how I'll feel in a month, 6 months, or a year. I know that if I would not of gone through with the revision, I would of ended up regretting the band and having even more adhesions and scar tissue from my band.

TPN stands for total parenteral nutrition and is an intravenous solution containing high levels of glucose (sugar) and all the nutrients a person needs who can not eat anything by mouth. We also use it for anorexic patients and for hyper-emesis (excessive vomiting - pregnancy, chemo, etc.).

Flab2fab was found to have a leak so she needs to be on TPN until she's healed and her surgeon says it's safe to start taking in liquids by mouth. She had the band out and revised to the sleeve during the same surgery (as I did). There is an increased chance of leaks when you revise to the VSG as compared to virgin VSG patients.

TPN stands for total parenteral nutrition and is an intravenous solution containing high levels of glucose (sugar) and all the nutrients a person needs who can not eat anything by mouth. We also use it for anorexic patients and for hyper-emesis (excessive vomiting - pregnancy, chemo, etc.).

Flab2fab was found to have a leak so she needs to be on TPN until she's healed and her surgeon says it's safe to start taking in liquids by mouth. She had the band out and revised to the sleeve during the same surgery (as I did). There is an increased chance of leaks when you revise to the VSG as compared to virgin VSG patients.

Thanks for explaining that for me ! ! !

Today I regret having the surgery, I have lost 20kg, but I too have no appetite, I constantly feel sick, I can't eat solid food, I am 8 weeks out. Today I am having an endoscopy to see why I feel sick and why I have restriction in my throat, so hopefully I will find out why I am having so many issues and finally be able to Celebrate my weightloss.

I have suffered from chronic severe depression for over 12 years.

I do know how you feel. Please hang in there. and keep trying the different meds.

and when you go on your trip do like one of the other posters said and bail out of some of the get togethers and go and enjoy yourself. do something for you like your own little treat!!! you will feel better for it. i am sure!!

Wow! This is the first time I've heard of people who REGRET the sleeve surgery. I have suffered from depression and bipolar disorder since high school. I've been concerned that I may have a really hard time coping after surgery. Also, I get urppy a lot, which is one reason I didn't pick the band because the mere THOUGHT of having a foreign thing in me made me nauseated all on its own.

What if this surgery ruins my life? What if it creates a life of wooziness and being sick or uncomfortable. Wasa? Elisabeth? Anyone? Do you have some advice?

Thanks,

Rose

Sleeve surgery date- 8/7/2009

Thanks for explaining that for me ! ! !

FYI....TPN sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still threw up......we tried ng tube first going through my band's stoma.....puked also!!!!!!!!

it is my biggest fear again! short of my husbands layoff.....which scares me more!

Wow! This is the first time I've heard of people who REGRET the sleeve surgery.

It's not uncommon for people to have regrets early out -- no matter what the surgery. And the regrets at this time are generally not surgery specific, but more "what have I done to myself?" because of the changes and because it's permanent.

Also, sometimes it can be hard to see the future and to realize that it's not going to be like it is today for the rest of your life.

But -- trust me on this -- you won't be eating 2 bites of hard Protein and then be done forever. You won't have a lack of energy forever. You won't have explosive BMs (like you do on liquids) forever. (Thank goodness... that was a PITA figuratively and literally :lol0: ) You won't be living on 400 calories a day forever.

Most of the stuff you experience in the first 1-4 months is not forever and it gets better all the time as you heal and your swelling goes down. By 6 months out, even the people who have the roughest time of it are generally pretty settled, eating a reasonable amount, and have lost enough weight so that the future looks rosy to them.

There are also things pre-ops can do to prepare themselves for surgery. You can't prepare 100% -- it's kind of like marriage or having kids that way -- but you can work on things that will ease your transition.

Some of the things I did pre-op that helped me were:

-Worked on my relationship with food for about 3 years prior (not as a prep for WLS but because I had this idea that if I just had a healthy relationship with food, I would somehow become a thin person... I was wrong, of course, but it really has helped me now. :thumbup1:)

-Stopped drinking soda, even diet soda (I already didn't consume caffeine--but it's better to go through caffeine withdraw pre-op than post-op, if you are a caffeine drinker)

-Started drinking more Water

-Got in the habit of tracking my food

-Started eating smaller portions... I never got down to sleeve-size portions but I got close and it helped to train my eyes as to what a normal portion is so I didn't go from 8-16 oz meals to 1-2 oz meals overnight

-Worked on my cardio so my heart would be healthier for surgery

I also tried not drinking with my meals but was completely unsuccessful. :biggrin0: It's a lot easier now though because I have the restriction of the sleeve to help keep me in check. So I didn't need to practice that... but I've seen others who could benefit from it, just like I could have benefited from working harder on the whole chewing thing.

I also researched like crazy and I hung out on the boards and *watched* what people said about their surgeries at various times... because, f you ask people if they have any regrets, you mostly get responses like on this thread -- it's the best thing I've ever done, I wish I'd done it 20 years ago (with the occasional "I feel like crap, what have I done to myself?" post -- but if you read the day-to-day posts, you will get a picture of the post-op lifestyle for a particular surgery and get a sense of whether or not it is right for you.

This is why I didn't get a band, btw. I saw what band life was like on LapBandTalk.com and I realized it was NOT for me.

It's not uncommon for people to have regrets early out -- no matter what the surgery. And the regrets at this time are generally not surgery specific, but more "what have I done to myself?" because of the changes and because it's permanent.

My first thought in recovery was - where the heck am and what the heck did I do? I guess the only thing that I find strange is that I expected to "feel" like part of my innards had been removed, and I feel no different at all in that regard. I don't regret the surgery, even if the next few months will be tough.

There are also things pre-ops can do to prepare themselves for surgery. You can't prepare 100% -- it's kind of like marriage or having kids that way -- but you can work on things that will ease your transition.

Some of the things I did pre-op that helped me were:

-Worked on my relationship with food for about 3 years prior (not as a prep for WLS but because I had this idea that if I just had a healthy relationship with food, I would somehow become a thin person... I was wrong, of course, but it really has helped me now. :thumbup1:)

I agree with Mac on this -- I had a very close relationship with food during my marriage - it was my comfort - I ate, I got fat, I got depressed because I was fat, I ate more, I got fatter ... etc.,etc., after my divorce I made major changes in my lifestyle and eating style -mainly not eating for comfort. Truthfully, I often times find eating a chore -- I eat because I have to eat, but I don't do it for enjoyment or comfort any longer.

-Stopped drinking soda, even diet soda (I already didn't consume caffeine--but it's better to go through caffeine withdraw pre-op than post-op, if you are a caffeine drinker)

I was diagnosed with GERD years ago and gave up all soft drinks, I would guess 20 years ago? I mean, heck they still made Tab when I gave it up. And I will attest to giving up caffeine prior to surgery -- that is one thing I did not do and the headaches from withdrawal have been hell. I'd given up caffeine in the past so knew what I was in for and I made the choice to continue with coffee ... if you've not been thorugh it before, it's best to wean yourself off before surgery.

-Started drinking more Water

I make it a point to drink at least 64 ozs of Water daily, if not more.

-Got in the habit of tracking my food

I need to get in the habit of this -- I'm bad with it.

-Started eating smaller portions... I never got down to sleeve-size portions but I got close and it helped to train my eyes as to what a normal portion is so I didn't go from 8-16 oz meals to 1-2 oz meals overnight

When I started working on my relationship with food, I automatically started asking for a to go box as soon as I got my order and put 1/2 of it in the to go box. After a period of time, I was at the point of eating 1/2 of the 1/2 and wondered how I could have ever eaten an entire portion. I try to share lunch/dinner with whomever I am dining with -- it not only saves $$$ but it generally is more than enough for 2 or 3 of us to share.

-Worked on my cardio so my heart would be healthier for surgery

Was doing really well with this then got out of the habit -- will be starting back ASAP

I also tried not drinking with my meals but was completely unsuccessful. Growing up, my dad never allowed us to even have a glass on the table with our meals - he said you tended to wash your food down and not chew thoroughly ... I think he is right ... and it will be a good habit to get back in to ... and having the restriction will definitely help too!

:biggrin0: It's a lot easier now though because I have the restriction of the sleeve to help keep me in check. So I didn't need to practice that... but I've seen others who could benefit from it, just like I could have benefited from working harder on the whole chewing thing.

I also researched like crazy and I hung out on the boards and *watched* what people said about their surgeries at various times... because, f you ask people if they have any regrets, you mostly get responses like on this thread -- it's the best thing I've ever done, I wish I'd done it 20 years ago (with the occasional "I feel like crap, what have I done to myself?" post -- but if you read the day-to-day posts, you will get a picture of the post-op lifestyle for a particular surgery and get a sense of whether or not it is right for you.

This is why I didn't get a band, btw. I saw what band life was like on LapBandTalk.com and I realized it was NOT for me.

Good luck on your decision and if you're not sure you're ready - then don't do it -- it will be there when you make a decision.

I wish my friend would have an endoscopy to find out why she is nauseous all the time and why she can hardly eat or drink.

For the most part, this is rare. There are way more people who say they wish they had done it sooner.

I wish my friend would have an endoscopy to find out why she is nauseous all the time and why she can hardly eat or drink.

For the most part, this is rare. There are way more people who say they wish they had done it sooner.

I had mine today:

Hi guys just checking in and updating how I went today.

Had my endoscopy. He said there is a scratch in my throat that is healing, and there was food lodged in my throat, which he cleaned out. Asked me if I had eaten a passionfruit recently, I had kiwi fruit yesterday :thumbup1: So he could see where that had lodged! So After cleaning me out it feels soother, I don't feel like I need to be sick now, so obviously it was the food lodged in my throat that was sitting somewhere that was causing me to retch! My Dr was really nice today and I hope that now I can finally get some food in! I managed some chicken and vegies for dinner, so hopefully I might be on my way back!!

I had mine today:

Hi guys just checking in and updating how I went today.

Had my endoscopy. He said there is a scratch in my throat that is healing, and there was food lodged in my throat, which he cleaned out. Asked me if I had eaten a passionfruit recently, I had kiwi fruit yesterday :lol: So he could see where that had lodged! So After cleaning me out it feels soother, I don't feel like I need to be sick now, so obviously it was the food lodged in my throat that was sitting somewhere that was causing me to retch! My Dr was really nice today and I hope that now I can finally get some food in! I managed some chicken and vegies for dinner, so hopefully I might be on my way back!!

Hi Lib - glad to hear you found out what the problem was and that you're feeling better -- wonder why it got stuck? Maybe not cut small enough or chewed enough? Or was it due to the scratch? Important thing, it's not there now.:blink:

Wow! This is the first time I've heard of people who REGRET the sleeve surgery. I have suffered from depression and bipolar disorder since high school. I've been concerned that I may have a really hard time coping after surgery. Also, I get urppy a lot, which is one reason I didn't pick the band because the mere THOUGHT of having a foreign thing in me made me nauseated all on its own.

What if this surgery ruins my life? What if it creates a life of wooziness and being sick or uncomfortable. Wasa? Elisabeth? Anyone? Do you have some advice?

Thanks,

Rose

Sleeve surgery date- 8/7/2009

I think there is a huge difference between you and the person that is unhappy. She didn't go into this excited that she would lose weight, she had the surgery done so she could have hip replacement surgery. She didn't go into this for the same reason most do, I get that she did it for purely medical reasons.

You, OTOH, *want* weight loss and a lifestyle change. None of us can go into this without wanting weight loss more than anything in the world and come out happy. If someone is not ready for WLS, they should not get it. Not everyone wants the changes. I kinda get that the unhappy poster was forced to have it... in a way. If she wanted to be free of hip pain she had to have the sleeve to lose weight before the hip replacement. She was getting surgery for a much different reason than you.

If I would have had WLS before I was ready and before I really wanted it I'd be in the same exact boat as the other poster. We all would.

If I would have had WLS before I was ready and before I really wanted it I'd be in the same exact boat as the other poster. We all would.

This is why I don't often say "I wish I'd done this earlier." I say things like "I wish it hadn't taken me this long to get to this point."