Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why would you leave the US for surgery?

Ky.hen, you are already wonderfully supportive to everyone here!

I know of a guy in Michigan that I wouldn't send my dog to. He has a 2.5% leak stat and he doesn't even have 500 staple lines of experience. I don't consider that a great deal at all. I can't remember, I think he's around $11K.

For $9500 I can go to MX, get someone with a 0% leak stat on sleeves, over 600 sleeves done to date, and over 1100 staple lines. To me, it's a no brainer.

What are staple lines? My surgery is scheduled for 10/23, and that's the first time I've heard of that term. Yikes!

What are staple lines? My surgery is scheduled for 10/23, and that's the first time I've heard of that term. Yikes!

Staple line is the line of staples that they use to cut and staple off the large portion of the stomach for the VSG. The staple line is also found in RNY surgeries when they simply staple the stomach, make the pouch and leave the blind portion of the stomach in the abdomen.

If you do not have a weak stomach, and would like to actually see the procedure, here is a video from Youtube.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wTeAzRq60]YouTube- Gastric Sleeve (VSG)[/ame]

Thanks, Tiffykins. So nice of you to reply so quickly!

I think I need to ask my surgeon about this, for sure!

I've not been on this site since my last post. I found no help here. Please do not reply to this as I will not reply to any future posts.

I've not been on this site since my last post. I found no help here. Please do not reply to this as I will not reply to any future posts.

Sorry, you didn't find the help you wanted here. But, I think anyone can reply to the thread even though you were not happy with your experience doesn't mean that the members can not reply to this particular thread that you briefly particpated in.

I am waiting my opportunity to have the sleeve done. After knowing a very close personal friend who had it done in MX, and my own personal research it is a no-brainer for me. There are people who poo-poo having surgery done outside the US. I recently returned from Thailand for a cardiac procedure not yet offered in the US. I had a TEAM of cardiologists, not one. They each spent time with me, and answered all of my questions attentively and thoroughly. The nurses were vigilant, the facilities were immaculate. Here in the US, I have been lucky to have good doctors as well. However, time spent with me was very minimal, and the procedures did not include the extra benefits that are being offered to me in MX. The United States health care system could warrant a closer look at what other countries are offering for health care options and should take notes.

Bottom Line: Research all of your options thoroughly and make the best decision for YOU. This is a life-changing decision that will alter you for the rest of your life.

Edited by webdeb808

My wife had VSG on 4/23/2010 in India , and it cost us $3,500 total. i know now every things come down to $.

You know I dont post much but had to for this one. This is so judgemental and ridiculous. Yeah its so easy for you to tell someone oh go get another job or this or that because you have never been in that situation. You have no clue and should not have this post up. I almost died after giving birth to my son because the idiot american doctor had me deliver my baby vaginally when i was told by many doctors i should have had a c-section and my blood pressure went to 80/50 and i passed out and had to have 2 blood transfusions within the hour after having my son. I have seen many american doctors who need to go back to school. There are many doctors in other countries who have way more practice and I would trust way before alot of doctors here. How close minded are you to post something like this. You obviously live in a very very small world.

Yes thats why I went to the Czech Republic and they were terrific. Keep an open and informed mind I reckon.

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I have not had surgery yet but, if I hadn't been able to get my insurance to pay for at least part of it, I would probably be going to Mexico to get it done. However, that isn't what I am about to address. What I would like to speak about is the fact that people are being way too judgmental, nasty and mean to people who are giving their opinions. I do not understand why it is necessary for someone to attack another person on this list when simply responding with your own opinion and/or facts would be sufficient. And, before you write back saying that you have tried that - I don't care. Try again. Do you really need to stoop to hurting people or starting a fight over something?

I do not know the history that people may have together or perhaps ill feelings they may have towards one another. All I (and other newbies) see is judgmental posturing that is either backed-up or egged on by others or others attacking them in response. Who cares if someone says that they wouldn't go to a Mexican doctor? Those of you who react so strongly to statements such as this insult the rest of us who are quite capable of making up our own minds and doing our own research. True, we came here for information; however, I am more inclined to listen to someone's advice if I do NOT see them attack someone else in another post, no matter what the subject matter is. By mocking someone or downright insulting them, you make me feel like getting off of here before I get attacked as well. Which might hurt all of us in the long run because then we can not learn from each other.

None of us are responsible for other people's choices, nor do we have the obligation or right to influence that choice. We can say how we feel about OUR experience or we can state FACTS with citations to back them up. We do NOT have the right to attack others because they state what they feel. Instead of attacking the original poster, why couldn't you have responded with a post that spoke of the reasons why you WOULD go outside of the United States and then let it be? Let people decide for themselves. Let people say what they would do. You have absolutely no right to attack someone in an open forum such as this.

I don't know if I will stay on this board. I really wanted to, especially since my daughter and I will be having surgery at the end of June and we could really use the support. I am sure we will have questions or issues that we would really appreciate some help dealing with. On the other hand, we have had enough mean things said to us when we were overweight. We don't need more of it from people who should understand how that feels. We are looking for trust, acceptance and kindness. Certainly not what I have seen here.

mmcclure, This is a very old thread. I think you will find that the posters that are still here on this board are here to help you. In fact go look through the regular posters in the main forums (pre and post op and stories) we have a good mix of people who had VSG's here in the US and in Mexico (a few from other countries) you will find them helpful. This is a side forum and a very old thread--please don't judge the community here by this thread. Whatever you decide, good luck to you in your journey. If you need help please ask!

mmcclure, This is a very old thread. I think you will find that the posters that are still here on this board are here to help you. In fact go look through the regular posters in the main forums (pre and post op and stories) we have a good mix of people who had VSG's here in the US and in Mexico (a few from other countries) you will find them helpful. This is a side forum and a very old thread--please don't judge the community here by this thread. Whatever you decide, good luck to you in your journey. If you need help please ask!

I have to agree with Swift on this one.

Plus, it's the internet, and not everyone is going to get along. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen on "support" forums. You just take the good, and ignore the bad.

I kind of relate it to what my mom told once when I was a kid working with a horrific woman. She told me " you can't get along with everyone, there will always be that one person that makes the situation/job unpleasant, and you won't please everyone so you make the best of it and move forward."

That's how I feel about internet forums. There is good, and bad on all of them. Don't let a couple of threads, or one thread, one or two people's opinions completely run you off.

There is a wealth of support and information shared here. Most of us are genuine caring and supportive people that have been in the same pre-op shoes you and your daughter are in currently.

Hope you stick around, and if you need anything, please feel free to post.

Mmcclure, if My post offended you I'm truly sorry. That wasn't My intent. This post upset me but yes your right everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This website and OH have helped me so much so I really hope you keep coming back. Good luck to you and your daughter!

To Jenni80 - actually, it wasn't your post that upset me all that much. It was much much earlier in the whole thread. I do appreciate your apology and good wishes, however. It takes courage to apologize and I really commend and thank you for it.

Thank you also to Swiftflow and Tiffykins for your kind words. I do appreciate the kindness and support that is shown in other areas of this forum. As I am sure all of you know, this decision is so very hard to make in the first place, and then to go through it is another huge emotional and physical process. It just concerns me when I see attacks like this, for whatever reason. I've been on other boards before so I'm not totally ignorant of how some people can be, but I guess I just thought that people here would be a bit more understanding and tolerant. I don't know why I thought that way, but I did.

Anyway, I got it all out and feel much better now. :-) I hope to become "friends" with a lot of you in the coming months. I'm sure I will be on here asking for both advice and emotional support and it is really good to know that there are good people on here who care.

Thanks again.