Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not going as well as expected....

Well, I've had two fills ( the first one didn't work, it turns out...evidently some leaked out after the injection) and I'm feeling more restricted. Not very restricted, though. Last night I had a small piece of fish, about 4 tbsp. of couscous, and about 1/2 cup of mixed veg. and I was still hungry after I ate dinner.

Most of the time I feel full when I eat, though.

I've been exercising 6 days a week, 3 aerobic, 3 aerobic/weight workouts.

I hadn't lost anything since my last fill, and since this most recent one, I have GAINED a pound and a half.

I've lost 1% body fat in one month.

I don't know. I thought this morning I should go on shakes or something. But didn't I go through this surgery so I don't have to do the Slimfast thing?

It's discouraging.

Hi Linda,

It sounds to me like you might be exercising a little too much. I am about 8 lbs from my goal and have not started to exercise yet. I know I have to start but one reason that I didn't was becasue my body gets muscular really fast and I didn't want to have big thighs that are as hard as a rock.

May be you should do more aerobic exercises to increase your heart rate and not build muscle yet. I know many say that muscle actually makes you lose weight but it didn't for me.

As for still being hungry after you eat then may be you're not at the right restriction. I often have to stop and really pay attention to wether it's my mouth or stomach that is feeling the hunger!

Mary

I just want to say way to go! It's awesome that you have the discipline to exercise that often. Though gaining that muscle may mean gaining some weight at first, the cool thing about gaining some muscle is that you'll burn more calories throughout the day now. Of course I'm not an expert, but I don't think you need to worry that you're working out too much, especially since you're doing weights only 3x week and the other days are just aerobic - most "experts" have been saying lately that you should get some kind of aerobic exercise for 30 min/day most days of the week.

I agree with Mary that your restriction might not be right yet. I think I'm going through the same thing, but I just can't get a day off school to go for another fill before the end of the semester, unfortunately. When was your 2nd fill?

What keeps you motivated to exercise? I'll exercise 3 or 4 times a week for a few weeks and then I skip once, then twice, then I just get out of the habit. Any tips on how to keep on trucking?

thanks Shana and Mary--

Well, I hate exercise, first off. I had to find an exercise I liked doing (or hated least). I began with the "walk away the pounds" DVD by Leslie Sansone. It's an aerobic walking program you do in your house, basically marching in place with some arm movements. I got a three dvd set which has 1mile, 2 mile and 3 mile walks. Just doing the first one at first was a pain in the butt. But my husband did it with me and kept me going at first. When I could do the first one with little discomfort I moved on to the next one. I'm currently doing the 2 mile walk now. After I've done it for a while I kind of get in the groove and I feel guilty if I don't walk.

Then I joined Curves. They have a 40 minute routine. You get on a weight machine, then jog or march in place, then another weight machine...every 30 seconds. It's a good workout. I'm motivated to go because I'm committed to paying for it for a year, and also because I believe it will help me lose weight. (though it hasn't been working so far. :) It is a weight routine, but it also gets your heart rate up.

I actually lost about 50 lbs about 6 years ago by eating low fat and doing walking and weights. It took me about 9 mos to do it. I believe my success then came from doing the weights. When I'd dieted before it didn't really work. That's one reason why I'm puzzled the weight isn't coming off especially because I'm banded.

I think I need more restriction too. My last fill was on March 26.

Sometimes the scale can decieve. If you exercise you are increasing muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I only weigh once a month if I can help it. I exercise regular also since the band and I have had weeks go by without loss. Keep it up and it will go. Exercise is key and keeps you feeling good!

I'd check to see if you are losing inches, or maybe you aren't eating enough calories. The body will hold on to the fat if it thinks it's in a time of famine and is starving <which it is>. I've read that it's not good for your to stay below 1000 calories. And I'm like the others when it comes to exercise, it's good to watch while eating a bowl of popcorn with lots of butter :)

Guest Bunnygal

I don't think you are exercising too much. Also, I think that weight training is an important part of losing weight. It raises your metabolism and makes all of your muscles more effective. To lose weight and not bother to exercise means that you are only focused on the scale - rather than health. I know you are discouraged, but don't be. You are doing everything you can to be healthy. The weight will come off. Also, from what I have read - if you want to lose weight on top of being cardio healthy, you have to do more than 30 minutes of cardio activity. According to many experts, the first thirty minutes helps your machine (body) work more effectively and be healthy. Everything beyond that helps you actually burn the fat off. I know that it works for me. I usually try to do 45-60 minutes of cardio and do 10-15 minutes of weights each day. I just make sure I never do the same muscle group two days in a row. So legs on one day, then arms the next. I am still pre-op, but have lost 29 pounds in the past two months. I am hoping to be banded this summer to help me continue on to my goal of losing 100 pounds and also to help me keep it off for the first time in my life. Keep up the awesome work. You are definitely on the right track.