Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the purpose of the sleep study (besides the obvious of how you sleep and if you have sleep apnea) and it's effect on your getting the lapband. I don't understand it. Can someone show me the light, pretty please?

Josette

Wish I didn't have to know but unfortunately I do. The sleep study is done to determine if you have sleep apnea. It is a test where you go into a clinic one night and they hook you up to TONS of wires and then ask you to sleep through the night. One would think is is difficult but you actually do sleep.

The thing with sleep apnea is most people that have it don't know they have it. Many obese people are at high risk for it. Sleep apnea is when you have episodes during sleep where you stop breathing. Everytime you stop breathing, your brain wakes up just enough to kick in the respiratory drive. You usually dont remember waking up, but sometimes you do remember. With sleep apnea, this can happen hundreds of times a night.

In my sleep study I stopped breathing up to 70 times an hour. That means I also had my sleep disrupted that many times. Sleep is really important, and if you don't get it guess what? YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT. It is also harder to lose weight. Even though I was getting enough sleep....or so I though....I wasn't sleeping at all!!!! I was waking up up to 70 times an hour.

Back to why you should have it done... If you have sleep apnea, you need to be treated or your weight loss battle will continue. If you have sleep apnea, you will gain weight most likely and the more you gain the worse the apnea becomes.... the worse the apnea...you guessed it, the worse the weight problems....a vicious cycle .

It is also important for the actual surgery. If you have sleep apnea, you will have issues waking up from anesthesia possibly. The treatment for apnea is a CPAP machine...a mask that you sleep with that exerts positive pressure into your airway. The pressure or air flow prevents your airway from collapsing and prevents the apnea. Its really not too bad. My surgeon will not allow me to go home the day of the surgery unless I have my CPAP machine because the anesthesia may worsen the apnea and could cause your brain not to kick in the respiratory drive. Meaning you could fall asleep and not breath. Kinda like SIDS.

Disrupted sleep is a major issue when it comes to weight. You lead a more sedentary life, you become stressed, depressed, anxious...you have difficulty with motivation, concentration, you get grouchy, etc. It makes your body excrete more hormones that signal hunger and thus causes you to eat more.

I recently went thru this and was FLOORED. I now have a CPAP and sleep like a baby. I wake up feeling GOOD for the first time in years. Although my surgery is not covered by insurance, the sleep study and CPAP machine are covered. Any more questions let me know. I will use this machine because I know it will help me with my weight loss endeavor.

is this something I can ask my family Dr. about getting tested for my hubby? He gasps air in his sleep. snore- nothing- then gasp. I think he may have this and it scares me.

I wasnt tested for this for the band, So I dont know about it.

YES- ASK IT CHANGED ME ALREADY!!!! I actually had my PCP order it for me before I had gone and looked into the lapband. I have been gaining for long time even though I "diet" everyday. I have dropped 10 lbs since I started the CPAP Some of it is the pre-surgery diet, but i feel good in the morning when i wake up

My hubby has a Dr apt on friday for high blood pressure on friday , I will ask about this then! Thanks He sorta has a off and on switch when helays down he is snoring with in 5 min. and when he wakes he is still exhausted so I know something is going on.

And his HBP the dr says his heart never rests, maybe he isn't resting at all he just well passes out andgets up tired.

I will def. ask about this.

I've been using a CPAP for about 4 years.....I looooove my CPAP. My husband was diagnosed and also got one 2 years ago. We look & sound like 2 Darth Vaders lying in bed together!!! But, we both love them and it makes a world of difference. Even if my husband has to go away for only one night, he'll bring his with him. I'm too lazy and won't just for one night.

DEFINITELY get your husband checked out. It can also lead to a lot more serious heart related issues if left untreated.

oh and another thing....the study test your oxygen saturation readings. Folks with apnea aren't generally getting sufficient oxygen to their blood and organs.....another reason to get it treated...the long term effects are NOT good.

Hubby had his Dr apt today, Our family Dr. said yup thats what it sounds like and yup it can cause high blood pressure his heart never rests. He has a apt w/ Dr when we get back into town to pick up a home sleep test. Atleast thats what the Dr said, we are actually seeing another Dr. So we'll find out! Thanks so much guys I feel much better knowing he's going in to be seen!

I've been using a c-pap for about 4 years. It has been great for the most part. To tell the truth, some nights I fight it. But I will not even take a nap without it. Not able to sleep without it. I was 180 when I first got it, now I'm 220 and all my old symptoms are back. I have already talked to my dr and he said with the weight gain, my apena might have gotten worse. He wants to do another sleep study. I have been putting this off hoping that after my band and my weight loss that the apena will get better. Just hope that I get a "go" date soon or I'm going to bite the bullet and go in for the study. I can still remember after I used my c-pap

that first night, even though I was not used to it and had a little trouble falling asleep, the next day I was awake all day with no headaches. I was heaven.

I had my sleep study on thursday night and found out I have severe sleep apnea. They came and woke me up 2 hours in to it and hooked me up to a cpap already. My husband has an appt for June 8th because we're pretty sure he has it too. I'm looking forward to getting some decent sleep. I was 99% sure I didn't have it ... SURPRISE!

Josette, I promise you will find a huge difference in the quality of your sleep. You didn't think you had it because once you are used to getting a "crappy" sleep you don't even realize anymore it is crappy! You know...you don't/can't miss what you don't know!! I'm excited for you; it will positively influence your whole life!

I have had sleep apnea for almost 8 yrs- back wehen the testing was done in your home. They came and showed you how to hook yourself up and came back in the morning to get the machine with the results. When my dr say the results he could only slap his head! I had had it for awhile - I remember falling asleep on the freeway on the way to work - luckily at 5 in the am without much traffic- and being able to sit at a computer sleeping with my eyes open- my friend thought i was dead!! I was in pretty bad shape before I got tested- I would not be without my machine. It has saved my life. They also found thyroid problems at the same time so i got the double wammie and gained a whole lot of weight at one time.

Oh the more I hear the more 100% sure this is going to be wht my hubby has going on!

How does a cpap work?

Like most people, I have obstructive apnea. This was explained to me as your throat closes or collapse while sleeping. C-pap stands for “Continuous Positive Airway Pressure”. My mask fits over my nose and “blows” air in it all night long, keeping my air way opened. Also, with the mask over my nose, it also makes it so I can’t mouth breath. It took some time for me to be able to even talk with it on. When you open you mouth with it on, the air just goes out your mouth. My DH loves my c-pap because I snored very loud before it.

I have sleep apnea also. It has made a BIG difference in how I feel during the day...not so groggy and tired! I didn't even know what it was, but I had an abnormal EKG which led to the cardiologist and he asked me, because of my obesity, if I snore and am tired during the day. I said yes so off I went to a 2-night sleep study.

I'm grateful he cared enough to ask those questions versus just asking me about what I was there for. If that makes sense.

I guess, too, some insurances want to know what conditions are affecting you through being obese and sleep apnea is one of those.

Kelli