Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As anyone had to have their gallbladder removed after being banded? Pretty sure I'm heading down that road. Please share your experience!

Yup I sure did! I wasn't shocked, in fact, I expected it. It's pretty common after major weight loss.

I had mine removed this past April. Honestly, it was a really simple surgery with a quick recovery time. The pain was very minimal and I was back taking care of my grandma a week after the surgery (she was in hospice at the time). I was tired and I had restrictions on what I could lift for the first 6 weeks but otherwise it wasn't a big deal at all.

Oh and I felt TONS better after it was out. I actually had far less pain from the surgery than I did from the malfunctioning gallbladder. It was instant relief.

Best wishes!

That makes me feel a lot better! The baby boy that my husband and I are adopting is going to be born in 13 days so I need to be able to care for him :)

Now Days gallbladder surgery is very easy.. When I had mine out many years ago (prior to banding) it was a major surgery.. I still have a huge scar from it.. so you should do really well and how awesome for you to adopt a baby... God Bless You...

Nowadays, gallbladder removal is done laparoscopic, in in the morning and out by lunch time. Just a few tiny incisions and just a little discomfort. I had a lap chole in March (I still have my frakking gallbladder, long story, won't bore you) and the recovery was a piece of cake. I was up, walking around, moving laundry from my washer to my dryer, emptying my dishwasher, making my own Soup for dinner that day. I didn't even need pain meds. I just took one the first couple of nights to help me sleep because I felt restless and edgy. The worst part of it was the gas pains. I had some lodge in under my rib cage on the right side and refuse to move out and it made deep breaths, coughing and sneezing uncomfortable for a bit. Other than that... Yeah, A gallbladder removal is no biggie. :)

Yup I sure did! I wasn't shocked, in fact, I expected it. It's pretty common after major weight loss.

I had mine removed this past April. Honestly, it was a really simple surgery with a quick recovery time. The pain was very minimal and I was back taking care of my grandma a week after the surgery (she was in hospice at the time). I was tired and I had restrictions on what I could lift for the first 6 weeks but otherwise it wasn't a big deal at all.

Oh and I felt TONS better after it was out. I actually had far less pain from the surgery than I did from the malfunctioning gallbladder. It was instant relief.

Best wishes!

Missy what symptoms did you have for them to rule it was your gallbladder?BTW your recent pic of your and your daughter is such an accomplishment. Be proud... you look awesome. The weight has been coming off slow and I still feel very overweight (have another 40 to go) I am so looking forward to when I can feel thinner.

Missy what symptoms did you have for them to rule it was your gallbladder?BTW your recent pic of your and your daughter is such an accomplishment. Be proud... you look awesome. The weight has been coming off slow and I still feel very overweight (have another 40 to go) I am so looking forward to when I can feel thinner.

Thank you :)

Mine went VERY fast. I was fine one day and the next day I was doubled over in pain and started vomiting. I know vomiting with the band is very dangerous so I went to the ER. There, they did a CT scan which showed my gallbladder was full of stones and I even had some going into my bile duct.

I don't follow a low a carb diet, I follow a low fat diet. My surgeon said it probably took so long for me to have symptoms because the foods I ate were "gallbladder friendly" and not likely to upset it. If I'd been on a low carb/high fat diet, he said I probably would've had symptoms come on a lot more gradually and sooner. Essentially it had been going for months just didn't cause me problems until it finally got really bad.

A lot of people talk about pain after fatty or greasy food. Sometimes even vegetables. Right side abdominal pain is very common but mine wasn't, in fact the pain was almost dead center and radiating. Very often, gallbladder pain will come and go until it gets really bad (like mine) then it's always there.

I had mine out in December. Pretty much only too alleve after the surgery. I didn't need anything for pain really. I had a little pain when I woke up from surgery and after they gave me something I really had not pain after that. I would say I was doing pretty much normal stuff the next day. It was an easy recovery.

like sharpie

i had mine out years before i was banded

my symptons were severe pain between my shoulder blades

hub took me to ER three times for pain and the last time he told

them i was staying til they fixed me......and they did... :)

That makes me feel a lot better! The baby boy that my husband and I are adopting is going to be born in 13 days so I need to be able to care for him :)

How exciting! I am adopted myself and we chose adoption as well -- a boy, 18 years ago (yikes!). Congratulations -- such a wonderful gift all-around and now you are choosing health for yourself as well. So happy for all of you!

BTW I am still pre-band but I did have my gallbladder out years ago and it was not a big deal. Several GB attacks leading up to it and so happy to have it done.

Best wishes for your new family!

like sharpie

i had mine out years before i was banded

my symptons were severe pain between my shoulder blades

hub took me to ER three times for pain and the last time he told

them i was staying til they fixed me......and they did... :)

Me too, but worse part was my pcp was on vacation and left someone else in charge who didn't think I had gall bladder problems. My urine was bright red by the time my gall bladder was removed! My pain felt like hot knife being stabbed and turned! Best wishes! Gall bladder pain is not fun!

Thank you :)

Mine went VERY fast. I was fine one day and the next day I was doubled over in pain and started vomiting. I know vomiting with the band is very dangerous so I went to the ER. There, they did a CT scan which showed my gallbladder was full of stones and I even had some going into my bile duct.

I don't follow a low a carb diet, I follow a low fat diet. My surgeon said it probably took so long for me to have symptoms because the foods I ate were "gallbladder friendly" and not likely to upset it. If I'd been on a low carb/high fat diet, he said I probably would've had symptoms come on a lot more gradually and sooner. Essentially it had been going for months just didn't cause me problems until it finally got really bad.

A lot of people talk about pain after fatty or greasy food. Sometimes even vegetables. Right side abdominal pain is very common but mine wasn't, in fact the pain was almost dead center and radiating. Very often, gallbladder pain will come and go until it gets really bad (like mine) then it's always there.

I don't agree that gall bladder surgery is a piece of cake. I was much sicker with it than with my lapband! Then I went back in the hospital 12 days after original surgery to have the stones removed from my bile duct after I got pancreatis! Be careful!