Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recently joined the community and already banded for better life

Hello to all in this community, my name is Dave. I have always been a lifelong heavy person and overweight, athletic football build type of guy who was losing the battle with diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea. My endocrinologist suggested I consider a bariatric surgery option as a route to help. Over the course of six months I researched options and settled on the Lap Band. While talking through the surgery with my wife, my best friend in the world, she suggested we do it together. We decided we both want to be healthier for each other and live longer and fuller lives so we took on the journey together. I was very fortunate to have such a great support partner with my best friend in the world. Going through pre-op diet together made a world of difference down to us having surgery on the same day 9/19/13.

I started at 394 and lost 31.4 lbs over the three weeks of the pre-op liquid diet. I know the journey is just beginning but I am already looking forward to our new lives ahead.

Now two days post op, I am just starting to feel better. The last 24 hours have been killer. I have been having bad side effects from the pain meds I went home on or from the anesthesia. My muscles all ached so bad that sitting for 10 mins my legs and arms would seize up. After talking with my doctor this morning who has been great through this whole process, I am stopping my pain meds and just walking, walking, walking. Trying to get a mile in a day. It is a marathon not a sprint however and today is a better than yesterday.... one foot forward to a better life.

Congrats to you both! What a wonderful way to share this journey together.

The first few days are the worse then it just gets better. Keep posting and watching the forum as it has helped me alot. They say that people who join support groups have a 50% better success rate. You are lucky to have someone share this with you. Hubby has been dieting with me and hes lost 30 lbs and is nearly at goal. Its very encourageing and a little competitive which is also healthy. Good luck and stay posted.

Congrats! I really love that you are doing this journey together..please remind her your weight loss may be faster than hers re: more muscle mass..and not to get discouraged! deb

My wife and I were banded on 9/12/07. While the journey has not been easy we both agree that it is one of the best decisions we have ever made. Like you my wife is my best friend.

At the hospital she went first and they put n a 10 cc band and I went in an hour later and they put in a 4 cc band. The nurses thought it was cute that we did it together. They were kind of shocked to see a man and a women in the same room.

Be sure to take it easy and let your body heal. For me walking really helped and following the plan that the doctor and staff had put together.

I got transferred in July 2008 and have gone to 4 other doctors. The current doctor is very supportive and very honest yet concerned for our well being.