Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal pain and discomfort

It has been a long time since I've posted on any band sites. I was originally banded in 2004 with the original lab band and was rebanded in 2009 with the realize band. I was very successful the first time around and lost over 80 lbs. I started having complications went to the er and I got a new band. Since that time I have had little to know success with weight loss but I also wasn't having any problems either. Fast forward I got pregnant in 2011 and had to get all of my Fluid removed in 2012. No problems during pregnancy in fact it was the best diet I had ever been on. After giving birth to a beautiful daughter I decided I needed to get serious about weight loss and begin my band journey again. I went to get a fill in October 2012 which was extremely painful. I felt immediately nauseas and sick and the doctor had to immediately remove some of the fluid. The dr had difficult time accessing my port again and was concerned that it may have flipped, after several attempts he was able to unfill the band slightly which gave me comfort. My stomach has not been quite right since that experience. I was having intermittent stomach pain for weeks. Finally I went to my regular dr about my stomach pain as it did not feel band related. The dr took blood and called the next day to say my lipase was elevated and I needed to see a gastro dr. Gastro dr repeated test and my lipase was still elevated but my amylase was normal. This really concerned him as he said I had developed pancreatitis he sent me immediacy to the er for a cat can. My pancreas showed no inflammation thank god! The cat can did however show a small midline hernia filled with fat. It appeared that my band, port and tubing were all in place. The gastro dr.recommended I see my surgeon and get my band complete unfilled which i did. the surgeon was not concerned about the cat scan results at all. My lipase came back to normal. We are still not sure what caused my elevated lipase. In the interim I had both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and another ct scan all normal except for mild gastritis. I am still in significant discomfort at times my port aches unil tears. I feel sometime when I lift my daughter like my gut is going to burst or that something is protruding . I take Malox, nexium, Pepcid tums just for a little comfort. I'm sick of it and at my wits end. I recently went to see my surgeon and his solution is to get the sleeve. I'm quite frankly done with wls and just want to be out of pain and discomfort. Any and all suggestions and recommendations are welcomed. Just need relief! thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

I don't think I'd be interested in a second wls without identifying the underlying problem first. Who's to say the sleeve won't exasperate your symptoms?!

I have been failed by the medical community (different condition) and I know how infuriating it can be. There is a real fear that this will be a forever issue. My only encouragement is to continue going to docs (new ones too) and get retested until a diagnosis and treatment plan can be implemented. Do you take anything for pain control or just ulcer prevention/treatment?

Could the pain be from the hernia? I have a hernia and it sometimes hurts like hell if I lift wrong or if I twist wrong.

Could the pain be from the hernia? I have a hernia and it sometimes hurts like hell if I lift wrong or if I twist wrong.

Yes, it most certainly can be from the hernia. In fact, I strongly suspect it is from the hernia.

I've had many hernias over the years so I know them well.

Why isn't your surgeon fixing the hernia? It makes no sense to be even discussing other WLS when they already know you have a hernia. Plus, hernias don't get better on their own, in fact they will only continue to get bigger and more severe the longer they're left untreated.

After a visit to the er Monday evening with severe abdominal burning. The doctor ordered the films of previous cat scans. Er dr said the band coul be causing me gastritis. As I write now my stomach is burning. M so frustrated!

Just wondering the outcome?

I'm waiting on my surgeon to review the films. I went to see my gastro dr and he can't find anything wrong and suggested I explore having the band removed. So we will see what happens after he reviews my test. The fact is I'm in pain daily

Let us know. I will be sending thoughts and prayers your way!

I heard from surgeon today and he believes I need to have surgery to repair my incisional mid line hernia withi momentum and while in there also replace my port. I'm praying that this will resolve my abdominal issues. Could my discomfort be caused by the hernia. Wondering myself if they should remove the band. I would hate to have surgery now to lay have it later to have to remove band. What are your thoughts?

Wow, I don't know really. Mis73 posted above in this thread that hernias can cause a lot of problems, and I know she had one repaired... Maybe she will answer here? I never had symptoms from mine, which was corrected same time as band placement, so I don't know.

It would be a shame to have multiple surgeries if the problem isn't resolved, but then again, what if it is? What is the doc's reasoning on what is wrong with the port? Bad placement? Twisted? Defective?

I've had the exact same issues with pain and discomfort for over 2 weeks. I am going to have my band removed next week because I can no stand the pain. I've missed 10 days of work. The doctors seem to think that the band was not put in correctly from the get go. I've only lost 20 lbs over 2 years. My new surgeon also suggested the sleeve. Seriously considering it and I pray it all goes well.