Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaked myself out by reading Negative experiences. Give me the truth, please.

Listening to you lot makes me glad I live in Australia!

I went to another website's forums as a way to more inform myself about Lap Band. I am excited about my new life.

But all I seemed to find was negative stories about people whose lap band caused major complications and who later needed revision surgeries. Many did not recommend the band. It is my understanding that the older bands caused more problems than the new ones, and that the new ones are much better. Is this true? I know every surgery has risks, but after reading these stories I am freaked out and nervous that once I am banded I may develop one of these complications. I read something that said 6 out of every 10 lap bander gets some kind of revision/complication surgery. Is that right?

I was super resolved about my decision to get a lap band (hopefully at the end of Sept.) but I had a flashing thought of well, maybe I should just do a liquid diet instead (even though I would likely end up gaining it all back some day).

Please, those of you who have been there done that set me straight. Thanks.

You will always find negative comments on ALL web sites. There are those people who are successful with the band and there are those who still struggle and those who fail. I also was one of those people in early band days who wanted to be as informed as possible and surfed all the web sites to make sure I was doing everything right. This is how I dealt with negative comments and posts... I learned from them, What not to do." I am one of those people who believe you can learn from all experiences. I am also just shy of 3 years post op and have been at goal weight of a normal BMI for a year now. So it is possible but it takes a lot of hard work and there is as much work in the maintenance phase as there was in the weight lose phase. Learning to eat healthy and change behavior is challenging to say the least, but possible and rewarding. Good luck and keep reading and posting.

Sorry my questions caused a fight. I can certainly see that people have different opinions/experiences. Thank you all for sharing them honestly.

I find it interesting that you bring up bait-and-switch because initally I was interested in the bypass and my doc convinced me to do the band.

Sorry my questions caused a fight. I can certainly see that people have different opinions/experiences. Thank you all for sharing them honestly.

I find it interesting that you bring up bait-and-switch because initally I was interested in the bypass and my doc convinced me to do the band.

When i went in for my initial consultation, after attending the seminar and doing *some research on my own, I was set on the band. Two of the men on the doctor's team "convinced" me of having the sleeve done instead. They painted a not-so-pleasant picture of the aftercare; however, I went home and FURTHER researched all three types, and called the office a few days later and told them I was gonna go with the BAND....

(Turned out that I didn't have my surgery at that hospital anyways)

When i went in for my initial consultation, after attending the seminar and doing *some research on my own, I was set on the band. Two of the men on the doctor's team "convinced" me of having the sleeve done instead. They painted a not-so-pleasant picture of the aftercare; however, I went home and FURTHER researched all three types, and called the office a few days later and told them I was gonna go with the BAND....

(Turned out that I didn't have my surgery at that hospital anyways)

At my doctor's seminar, he thoroughly covered each of the three surgeries. He no longer does the duodenal switch, so he touched on it, and explained why he no longer does it. Anyway, with all of the detailed info at the seminar, he flat out said that the band isn't his favorite, and explained why. He wasn't selling any one surgery in particular. He laid out all of the info; pros and cons to each. When I had my initial consultation, he felt that I'd do well with the bypass. There wasn't any "bait & switch" tactics, because he wasn't selling any one surgery at the seminar.

I live in Southern California, and I can tell you, the barrage of call "1-800-Get-Thin" advertising was ALL over the place. I don't doubt for one second that there are many "bait & switch" doctors; not just in CA, but everywhere. But as mentioned by a poster above, it's up the the patient to do THEIR homework, to avoid getting sucked in to unsavory practices.