Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaked myself out by reading Negative experiences. Give me the truth, please.

Jim,

You are right on the money!

Let's get real here, most surgeons like to cut, they like to operate and be done and not have to deal with filling a lap band and dealing with unfilling/refilling the band.

Also, the Sleeve is the big thing now just like the band was about 5 years ago, and I see the same thing happening with the band, now happening with the Sleeve, that was one of the reasons I went with the band again, if anything happen I can get it removed, whereas, if anything go wrong with the Sleeve, I am SOL.

The Sleeve and the Bypass can be a good surgery for certain circumstances, but they also come along with long term issues that I've researched.

Once the surgeon has cut you and rearranged your guts, they really don't need to see you again, but with the band, they MUST see you since it is a specialized surgery and only a band surgeon can identify and treat any lap band related issues, but surgeons can push Bypass and Sleeve people to other internist, and doctors to deal with their hypoglycemia and Vitamin deficiency and a lot of these issues are under reported whereas any blip with the lap band such as vomiting is cited as a complication.

This is why is it critical for anyone who is seeking a band should research their surgeon and seek lap band-friendly surgeons who will take the time to follow the patient progress and proper fill adjustments.

Honestly I try to avoid a lot of negativity because half of the people that is being negative only wish they where able to get the surgery but can't afford it, so they get on these forums and try to discourage the ones who have taken a step to get healthier, I look at this way I was 300lbs I had so many complications high blood pressure, I WAS a diabetic so if that didn't kill me then I figure Im here for a reason, obesity can kill also, so to the negative people out there please get your self a life and leave the ones who are living a healthy life along...BLOOP.....

Wow, great piece -- thanks. Fascinating the business behind weight loss -- and the names of these companies. So funny -- like drug names. Couldn't make this stuff up! I feel like I have new questions for my surgeon -- really want to be sure of that vital after-care piece. Thanks again!

Bandista, Thank you and that blog of Dr. Simpson is right on the money and so true, from what I've seen over the 8 years, having a band-friendly surgeon and aftercare is more important than getting the band.

My surgeon is highly reputable, and though he's been doing the band since it was approved in the US; trained prior to its approval, and trained numerous surgeons on the procedure, it's not his first "go to" surgery. He felt the bypass would have been good for me, and I was actually scheduled for it. The extreme nature of that surgery wasn't sitting well with me, so I cancelled it. I did more research, and settled on the band with plication.

He told me straight out, his lack of love for the band is the ongoing inherent issues. Although, he also said that with the newer techniques on placement, he sees a lot less issues. STILL - it's not his first choice, and he makes no bones about it. Does that make him a "bait & switch" surgeon? I'm not convinced. However, I do agree that there are TONS of them out there. We read a lot of s-hit in these forums, coming from many patients who went to the "1-800" type of facility; people who were taken in by the advertising, and let dollars and cents be their guide. When taking on something as serious as weight loss surgery, falling into the trap of "discounted rates", is a huge mistake.

Sojouner,

It's ok to disagree with me, but I will tell you, you are a "rookie" at the lap band, and I've seen a whole lot regarding the lap band.

There are MANY "bait and switch" surgeons, they know MOST patients WANT the band, and they will either talk them into the Sleeve or Bypass and tell them that the band will not work for them, which it probably won't because they will offer them horrible aftercare, I've SEEN it too many times over the 8 years I've had a band seen others with horrible issues due to horrible aftercare.

So does Dr. Simpson agree with "bait and switch" surgeon based on his lengthy blog of his thoughts about the TRUTHFUL demise and issues that many lap band surgeons have caused including that 1800- scam clinic that sparked a congressional investigation.

Most banders lap band experience will be as good as the surgeon who installs it and the aftercare they receive, and patient compliance.

Here is the link

http://www.yourdocto...nd-turn-around/

When doing my research, I read a lot of Simpson's information when making my decision on which surgery to have. I wish all doctors were that forthcoming.

Sojouner,

It's ok to disagree with me, but I will tell you, you are a "rookie" at the lap band, and I've seen a whole lot regarding the lap band.

There are MANY "bait and switch" surgeons, they know MOST patients WANT the band, and they will either talk them into the Sleeve or Bypass and tell them that the band will not work for them, which it probably won't because they will offer them horrible aftercare, I've SEEN it too many times over the 8 years I've had a band seen others with horrible issues due to horrible aftercare.

So does Dr. Simpson agree with "bait and switch" surgeon based on his lengthy blog of his thoughts about the TRUTHFUL demise and issues that many lap band surgeons have caused including that 1800- scam clinic that sparked a congressional investigati

Most banders lap band experience will be as good as the surgeon who installs it and the aftercare they receive, and patient compliance.

Here is the link

http://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/2013/05/lap-bands-perfect-storm-a

-turn-around/

Your use of gross generalizations is a concern, as you seem to have based your conclusion based on limited reference points. I would want to know, based on your personal, first hand experience how many surgeons used bait and switch tactics on you?

I have no agenda to engage in a war of words with anyone. I respectfully disagreed with your statement and intentionally omitted your so called "name", because I respect the right of others to post their opinions. Perhaps you should review forum rules and etiquette?

I don't believe everything I read on the Internet. It would seem that you have a less discerning evaluation of the data you have reviewed and quoted.

As for referring to me as a "rookie", this is only your disrespectful opinion and uncalled for name calling.. How immature of you...you are resorting to this and you have no clue as to who I am, or the professional credentials I hold. I am well schooled in medical ethics and prevention of medical errors, along with patient rights and responsibilities.

That said, I will always encourage self determination of each individual. As the consumer, each of us owes it to ourselves to research and educate ourselves as to possible risks, projected outcomes, and the role of the patient to be successful.

I also have sincere concerns when forum participants dispense medical advice without proper credentials to do so...these individuals know who they are.

So, in accordance with current politically correct verbiage, we should agree to disagree.

And then let it be.

Just scanned(as I am too lazy to read whole articles). Seems like he is pretty pro-lapband. Thanks, Nana

Here is the link

http://www.yourdocto...> -turn-around/

Your use of gross generalizations is a concern, as you seem to have based your conclusion based on limited reference points. I would want to know, based on your personal, first hand experience how many surgeons used bait and switch tactics on you?

I have no agenda to engage in a war of words with anyone. I respectfully disagreed with your statement and intentionally omitted your so called "name", because I respect the right of others to post their opinions. Perhaps you should review forum rules and etiquette?

I don't believe everything I read on the Internet. It would seem that you have a less discerning evaluation of the data you have reviewed and quoted.

As for referring to me as a "rookie", this is only your disrespectful opinion and uncalled for name calling.. How immature of you...you are resorting to this and you have no clue as to who I am, or the professional credentials I hold. I am well schooled in medical ethics and prevention of medical errors, along with patient rights and responsibilities.

That said, I will always encourage self determination of each individual. As the consumer, each of us owes it to ourselves to research and educate ourselves as to possible risks, projected outcomes, and the role of the patient to be successful.

I also have sincere concerns when forum participants dispense medical advice without proper credentials to do so...these individuals know who they are.

So, in accordance with current politically correct verbiage, we should agree to disagree.

And then let it be.

Carole,

Anything I say on the internet I can back up with studies, and cited reference material, I don't generalize I post FACTS. If you are naive enough to believe there are no "unethical" surgeons and they are all so "professional" you are living in a small bubble, and very soon it will pop.

If you have not heard about MANY "unethical and unprofessional surgeons" out in California that sparked a congressional hearing regarding deaths of lap band patients and many suffered complications and Billboards were everywhere out in California a few years ago, and if you are naive enough to believe all surgeons are so so professional, I really feel sorry for you.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet also, but I've known of Dr. Simpson over 8 years, he used to be a regular poster on the OH, before the lap band forum on OH was destroyed with band bashing which is a shame.

Dr. Simpson has seen a lot of lap band abuse from both patients and surgeons, so have I.

If you've had a lap band complication, I am sorry to hear that, of course I am no doctor, and I don't care to be, I am a software engineer by trade and I am very happy with my career.

I've had enough issues with my old band to have EARNED my strips and have seen others with various lap band issues over the 8 years to try to help others.

Again, anything I say I can surely back it up with studies and cited material.

I love seeing such positive and affirming stuff about Dr Simpson, makes me 100% proud to have had him as my surgeon. He genuinely cares for patients and lap-band.

Carole,

Anything I say on the internet I can back up with studies, and cited reference material, I don't generalize I post FACTS. If you are naive enough to believe there are no "unethical" surgeons and they are all so "professional" you are living in a small bubble, and very soon it will pop.

If you have not heard about MANY "unethical and unprofessional surgeons" out in California that sparked a congressional hearing regarding deaths of lap band patients and many suffered complications and Billboards were everywhere out in California a few years ago, and if you are naive enough to believe all surgeons are so so professional, I really feel sorry for you.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet also, but I've known of Dr. Simpson over 8 years, he used to be a regular poster on the OH, before the lap band forum on OH was destroyed with band bashing which is a shame.

Dr. Simpson has seen a lot of lap band abuse from both patients and surgeons, so have I.

If you've had a lap band complication, I am sorry to hear that, of course I am no doctor, and I don't care to be, I am a software engineer by trade and I am very happy with my career.

I've had enough issues with my old band to have EARNED my strips and have seen others with various lap band issues over the 8 years to try to help others.

Again, anything I say I can surely back it up with studies and cited material.

Perhaps the area of the country I reside in has ethical medical professionals. And the many doctors, attorneys, and judges I have interfaced with through the course of my long career also abided by the professional ethics set forth by their respective professional boards as well.

I assure you that I don't live in any sort of a "bubble". My many years of relationships with physicians as both the patient and as a professional I encountered only professionals who acted with the best interests of their patients.

It reads that you may have had a physician who did not abide by the Hippocratic Oath required as part of receiving a degree in medicine. Perhaps you did your extensive research as part of your circumstance with your first band. That's unfortunate, as it seems to have soured your perspective on doctors.

In any case, your comment about "earning your stripes" is an indication of your anger and belief that there is some sort of nebulous cast order on this forum. Why should this be? A reference to the military?

I thought an open forum was just that. You seem to believe that because of your unfortunate past experiences you have some sort of elevated status?

There is no use in exchanging additional words. Your words will never change my perspective or world view. I am sorry for your previous experiences, but they do not entitle you to essentially "pull rank" with other participants.

An open forum is just that. Time to move on...

Perhaps the area of the country I reside in has ethical medical professionals. And the many doctors, attorneys, and judges I have interfaced with through the course of my long career also abided by the professional ethics set forth by their respective professional boards as well.

I assure you that I don't live in any sort of a "bubble". My many years of relationships with physicians as both the patient and as a professional I encountered only professionals who acted with the best interests of their patients.

It reads that you may have had a physician who did not abide by the Hippocratic Oath required as part of receiving a degree in medicine. Perhaps you did your extensive research as part of your circumstance with your first band. That's unfortunate, as it seems to have soured your perspective on doctors.

In any case, your comment about "earning your stripes" is an indication of your anger and belief that there is some sort of nebulous cast order on this forum. Why should this be? A reference to the military?

I thought an open forum was just that. You seem to believe that because of your unfortunate past experiences you have some sort of elevated status?

There is no use in exchanging additional words. Your words will never change my perspective or world view. I am sorry for your previous experiences, but they do not entitle you to essentially "pull rank" with other participants.

An open forum is just that. Time to move on...

You mentioned:

Your signature indicates you live in Florida, I've heard enough about Florida lately and their laws that the rest of the country think is a joke these days.., so enough said about Floridians and THEIR LAWS and their professionalism ...lol

EVERYONE in these forums has a right to disagree with a post. Retaliating by demeaning that person by pulling LB rank, is completely uncalled for. Though I agree with some of the info posted, when I heard the term "rookie" thrown at Sojourner for disagreeing with a point, I felt a knife go in......even though it wasn't directed at me. Is all this really necessary? Come on people! This is an open forum, and we ALL have a right to post, disagree, etc., without being attacked. Please don't let this interaction digress to a full blown LBT cat fight. We've all seen way too many of them.

Getting back to PuraVita's concerns, I have found that if you look for any argument on the internet, you'll find it. Search for RNY and sleeve complications and you'll find similar concerns. My research agrees with everyone else's, complications seem to be from three general causes

• Patient compliance
  • Surgical skill and follow up support
  • Improvements of the band technology

You will decide your reasons for choosing the band or any other WLS technique, but make a comittment and find confidence in your decision. Good Luck!

You mentioned:

Your signature indicates you live in Florida, I've heard enough about Florida lately and their laws that the rest of the country think is a joke these days.., so enough said about Floridians and THEIR LAWS and their professionalism ...lol

I am not a resident of Florida. J/S :)