Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet - Toughest thing I ever had to do

I'm currently on my pre-op diet which is a 1000 calorie a day mostly liquid diet. I am allowed to have shakes (Muscle Milk Lite), which is absolutely atrocious because of the after taste. I was convinced it was not bad and I bought $150 worth of it to last me the 2 weeks. Also I am allowed to have 2cups of vegetables a day which is my splurge of a iceberg lettuce for dinner.

It's day 2 and I'm down from 373lbs to 363lbs, 10 pounds in 2 days, I don't know if it's bad to lose that much weight or is it normal.

It's very sad but I can't wait for my surgery and I can't wait till I'm able to eat some scrambled eggs when I get eat soft food....

i felt the exact same way on my pre op.....i was only allowed liquids...2 1/2 weeks on pre and 2 weeks post op....what i learned was the difference between head hunger vs me being really hungry.....i also learned i was way stronger mentally then i thought i was.....sure i b*tched and complained but i woman'd up thanks to my ole man who told me to do that on my pre op and got on with it......because if you can do this.....you can do and be successful with having any WLS...i believe that......and i believe in you..

Are you allowed to have any yogurt, or fat free sugar free pudding? They help offset the liquid diet and sitting and eating with a spoon gives you a sense of having a meal.

Try some steamed vegies for your 2 cups it offers a variety of flavor and you can choose several different kinds.

Since you have already purchased all that Muscle Milk, unless you can return some of it…your kind of stuck there, but you can try out other Protein powders and drinks and then just add in a muscle milk every other one so you're not fed up with them as you will be on liquids for a bit after surgery as well it won't be a waste of money spent if you can space out the ones you don't like with something that you do.

My husband and I used Premier Protein shakes we bought at Sam's club I think you can also get them at costco and/or pharmacy's. They have 30 grams of protein and the calorie count is pretty low 160 I think it was.

Pre-op is difficult but you can do it! You're doing amazing already. 10 pounds down is not bad, in the very early stages a lot of it is Water weight, but you are well on your way keep up the good work!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rapid weight loss. You are probably losing a lot of Water weight. Your body is also going through the detox stage as well. Just make sure you stay hydrated. I know this is tough but you are tougher and you can do this!! Keep your eye on the prize. :)

I had to do a 3 week liquid diet that only consisted of shakes. It was very difficult especially the first 3 or 4 days. If you can stick with it for those first couple of days, your body will adjust and the hunger pains will not be so bad. I was at 360 pounds when I started and lost 27 pounds in the 3 weeks so if you are a big guy like me it will come off pretty fast. The one unexpected benefit I had from the liquid diet was that I certainly learned to appreciate food more and it made it much easier when I was able to eat again. I started my liquid diet in mid May and I am down 70 pounds now. Stick with it. You can do it.

I have heard incredible posts regarding: PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter

I just ordered a combo pack:

16oz Peanut Butter flavor

&16oz chocolate flavor (for 17 dollars).

It may be worth getting something like this to add to your shakes to offset the aftertaste that you don't enjoy.

Search PB2 on Amazon; also free s/h

I love Muscle Milk Light. I get the premixed ones and drink em up, but I prefer them in milk with berries, smoothie style. My nutritionist said that I could do it with berries 2x a day during pre-op. I love it! See if there is a way you can use it without just mixing with Water and drinking...dress it up. Other than that, I don't have much help. I used to hate Protein powder anything, but I've come to like it. I hear they have gotten better over the years, but I also think that the taste has just grown on me.

Also, try something besides lettuce for vegetables. Iceburg especially, it is basically just Water, it hardly has any nutrition or substance. Something else might be more satisfying.

Regardless of any this, it is only temporary, and you are totally worth it!! Keep it up, it will be over soon and you'll be banded and on your way to a new you! Good luck!!

It's funny how our perspectives change on the pre-op diet. Before my diet I'd look at grilled chicken and be like, oh yuck. On pre-op diet I was so starving that grilled chicken looked like chili covered cheese fries because I was so hungry for something other than a damn Protein Shake. Hang in there. This is the worst part for sure. Bandster hell sucks to but at least you can eat during that time.

Oh it is true. I apologize whole-heartedly. I'm on day 3 of pre-op and I am now sick of my premised muscle milk light. It tastes like hell and it took me over an hour to drink the whole damn thing this morning. They taste good a few times a week apparently. Bleeeeech.

:-)

I think I'm just going to mix it all myself now, the powder with milk is much more palatable than the pre-mixed.

I was watching how its made this morning, they were making tofu and it looked so damn good to me, lol. I grabbed my sugar free fat free pudding and wished it was tofu.

7 more days.