Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calories... I dont understand

I'm 6 weeks post op. consume around 600-900 calories a day and the upper end of that is stretching it for me. Have not had a fill yet. Eat 60-80 grams Protein day . Make sure to get protein in first then might have a little healthy carb with my fruits/veggies. But I too watch my carb intake and find it keeps me content and not hungry (along with band of course). I'm averaging 4.5 pound loss a week. Works for me. Thank goodness we are all different!!!! What works for one may not work for another.

Missy,

Really there is no problem...just a concern that you assign labels freely ( low carb eating is a fad, so very inaccurate).

Encourage others to have a dialogue with their medical team rather than issue labels without professional credentials. My surgeon specifically advised me that " carbs are the culprits for obesity and lack of weight loss."

The brain needs carbs to function on, however carb addiction is not a fad or a myth. Unhealthy carbs contribute significantly to obesity. For many people, carbs are a trigger to unhealthy eating which even with a band can contribute to unsuccessful weight loss.

Missy,

Really there is no problem...just a concern that you assign labels freely ( low carb eating is a fad, so very inaccurate).

Encourage others to have a dialogue with their medical team rather than issue labels without professional credentials. My surgeon specifically advised me that " carbs are the culprits for obesity and lack of weight loss."

The brain needs carbs to function on, however carb addiction is not a fad or a myth. Unhealthy carbs contribute significantly to obesity. For many people, carbs are a trigger to unhealthy eating which even with a band can contribute to unsuccessful weight loss.

The definition of a fad is "An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze." Everyone trying to use low carb dieting to lose weight, regardless of whether or not it is what's best for them, is in my opinion a fad. It's no different than back when everyone thought fat was the blame for obesity and if you just eliminated fat, you'd lose weight.

Furthermore, since 1992 the obesity rate has skyrocketed in the United States. It doesn't matter which diet fad people attempted, including low carb, we still continue to get fatter as a society.

obesity_zps1cab9703.jpg

Carb addiction is very real, by the way. I never claimed that it wasn't. For people suffering from carb addition, low carb would definitely be the way to go. In fact there's a lot of reasons, ranging from medical to psychological in nature, that someone would be best suited for low carb eating. However, there are just as many reasons that someone shouldn't be following the low carb diet. Everyone has to do what is best for them and their body- and low carb eating isn't what is best for everyone.

For the record? Your surgeon may believe carbs are the culprits for obesity and lack of weight loss but not all doctors agree with your surgeon. Both my bariatric surgeon and my nutritionist believe the culprit for obesity is America's obsession with "bigger is better" when it comes to portion size. My nutritionist is actually the one who originally referred to low carb eating as a fad to me- and I happen to agree with her. Does that mean either of our surgeons are wrong? No, it means they have a difference of opinion.

People need to figure out what is best for specifically for them because there is no single right way to lose weight.

I agree with you, Missy. There are many reasons for obesity as there are many different diet options out there. Doctors have different views and they are constantly changing. Low carb dieting like many other diets (Adkins for one) have been called fad diets by many. Really all diets are fads in one way or another. Does that make them bad or a waste of time? No if you choose a diet plan that you like and are successful at it, do it. Do what works for you.

BTW, the plan that works for me is low carbs. Guess I like that fad, lol.

I agree with you, Missy. There are many reasons for obesity as there are many different diet options out there. Doctors have different views and they are constantly changing. Low carb dieting like many other diets (Adkins for one) have been called fad diets by many. Really all diets are fads in one way or another. Does that make them bad or a waste of time? No if you choose a diet plan that you like and are successful at it, do it. Do what works for you.

BTW, the plan that works for me is low carbs. Guess I like that fad, lol.

I totally agree with you. Very well said!

Never, not once, ever, even after changing states and therefore doctors, has anyone ever told me to restrict carbs, or that carbs were to blame for obesity. I understand that for some low carb is their preferred way of losing weight, and they're very successful at it, but I can honestly say that I've never restricted carbs and have successfully lost over 100% of my excess weight. There is no right or wrong answer and I am constantly amazed at how personally people take things around here. Own your choices, because if you do, who gives a flying whatsit what others say as long as it's working for you?