Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can fat people ride bikes?

I think it depends on the bike quality.Some companies test them up to 300 - 350 pounds while other companies do not test at all. If you are concerned about breaking a bike why not try to get an adult tricycle or 3 wheeled cruiser ? The can handle more weight. I prefer them to bikes anyways because they have larger seats for my big ol butt :)

Happy bike hunting!

Absolutely!! I work at a high end bicycle shop. Riding is my favorite form of exercise. I'm 17 days post-op and can't wait to ride again. I put a larger seat called "the couch" on my specialized cross training bike. It's more comfortable. Right now I have it in my "trainer" in my living room. It's way cool. Like spin class with your own bike. Makes any bike a stationary bike.

Most reputable bike makers will state their weight limits on the product description.

What I learned when I was researching bikes last summer was if they don't state a weight limit it's likely a 225 pound max capacity.

I was around 300 pounds when I started looking for a bike. It's not easy to find ones with the higher weight limits and they are more expensive but they're definitely out there.

I agree with all of the above. When I was looking for a bike I was worried about the weight limits, so I went to a local bike shop that wasn't a large chain store so I could get more of a knowledgeable opinion. I was able to find the perfect bike. In the end it did cost me more than normal but it has done its job! :D Hope you find the perfect match!

Cycling is excellent low impact exercise that burns a good amount of calories! Swimming too...

Brad

Anyone know of a good beginners bike forum? Im going to the local shop tuesday to get some info.

I've been cyclilng since about last Feb ( 2012 ). I was around 250 lbs when I started. I bought a couple different "cheap" ( think K-mart ) type cruiser/ maybe 5 speed bikes. Rode them a couple times and took them back....very uncomfortable! I had a friend that rides A LOT take me to a bike shop.....what a difference! Theres about three main types of bikes you might consider, depending on your terrain, and budget of course.

First would be a type called a "comfort or hybrid" bike. The sit more upright, and as the name suggests, lots of folks find them pretty comfortable. Your weight should not be an issue with a quality ( think $350-700 range ) hybrid. Giant, Specialized, Trek and many more manufactures make a LOT of different models. They are good on paved and/or small crushed stone trails. They are a bit heavier than a road bike, but can still provide a good workout in varied conditions. A good all around beginner bike in my opinion.

Then there are road bikes. Expect to spend between AROUND $800 to well over $4000 for a NEW, good road bike. At first, they may look uncomfortable due to the position you ride in...more bent forward. But for me, its actually MORE comfortable, no strain on your back! I personally ride my road bike 95% of the time ( a USED TREK I found at a steal of a price at my local bike shop! ) It's just so much more comfortable to me and the workout is MUCH, MUCH better for me.

Then there are mountain bikes.... and I can't offer any opinion on them.

What I will offer is this. If you are serious about riding any more than a few minutes here and there, its absolutely in your best interest to find a bike shop....EXPERTS at finding one that fits you properly! Nothing....repeat...NOTHING, is more important on the bike than a proper fit. Some shops may charge you to "fit" you for a bike, ITS WORTH IT! You can take their advice, buy from them, or look around on places like craigslist. There are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of bikes on it in my area. Lots of folks buy on an impulse...then use it for a coat rack, or a dust collector. Expect you may pick one up for half price of new...sometimes less! But going to that bike shop will give you a good idea of the type/size you are looking for.

I started as I mentioned, cycling last spring....and after a couple of miles I was winded...tired! But I stuck with it...one mile becomes two, then three. Just like any other form of exercise I suppose. But then a funny thing happened....It really doesn't feel like exercise to me. I enjoy it! About three weeks ago, I did my first Century ride, 100 miles. This month, I've cycled a little over 600 miles...and 28,000 calories!! But it all starts with one mile....Best of luck to you!

I've been cyclilng since about last Feb ( 2012 ). I was around 250 lbs when I started. I bought a couple different "cheap" ( think K-mart ) type cruiser/ maybe 5 speed bikes. Rode them a couple times and took them back....very uncomfortable! I had a friend that rides A LOT take me to a bike shop.....what a difference! Theres about three main types of bikes you might consider, depending on your terrain, and budget of course.

First would be a type called a "comfort or hybrid" bike. The sit more upright, and as the name suggests, lots of folks find them pretty comfortable. Your weight should not be an issue with a quality ( think $350-700 range ) hybrid. Giant, Specialized, Trek and many more manufactures make a LOT of different models. They are good on paved and/or small crushed stone trails. They are a bit heavier than a rode bike, but can still provide a good workout in varied conditions. A good all around beginner bike in my opinion.

Then there are road bikes. Expect to spend between AROUND $800 to well over $4000 for a NEW, good rode bike. At first, they may look uncomfortable due to the position you ride in...more bent forward. But for me, its actually MORE comfortable, no strain on your back! I personally ride my road bike 95% of the time ( a USED TREK I found at a steal of a price at my local bike shop! ) It's just so much more comfortable to me and the workout is MUCH, MUCH better for me.

Then there are mountain bikes.... and I can't offer any opinion on them.

What I will offer is this. If you are serious about riding any more than a few minutes here and there, its absolutely in your best interest to find a bike shop....EXPERTS at finding one that fits you properly! Nothing....repeat...NOTHING, is more important on the bike than a proper fit. Some shops may charge you to "fit" you for a bike, ITS WORTH IT! You can take their advice, buy from them, or look around on places like craigslist. There are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of bikes on it in my area. Lots of folks buy on an impulse...then use it for a coat rack, or a dust collector. Expect you may pick one up for half price of new...sometimes less! But going to that bike shop will give you a good idea of the type/size you are looking for.

I started as I mentioned, cycling last spring....and after a couple of miles I was winded...tired! But I stuck with it...one mile becomes two, then three. Just like any other form of exercise I suppose. But then a funny thing happened....It really doesn't feel like exercise to me. I enjoy it! About three weeks ago, I did my first Century ride, 100 miles. This month, I've cycled a little over 600 miles...and 28,000 calories!! But it all starts with one mile....Best of luck to you!

You are such a great inspiration! ;)

I have been doing a lot of searching on the net and have about decided that a hybrid bike interest me the most. There is nothing available locally around where I live but there is a bike shop about 50 miles away that can help me out. So choices of used bikes are slim to zero. I'll know more tuesday or wednesday.

thanks to all of your comments.