Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded bandsters!

Almost anyone who's been banded should be able to answer these questions, but my main concerns are getting around in the first couple weeks after surgery. I'll be at home with my parents for a week, but after that will be living alone 3 hours away and going to school full-time. First, how did everyone sleep after surgery? At my parent's house we have a couple recliners I can sleep on for that first week, but my bed in my apartment is lifted to about hip-waist level, so I'm thinking that might be difficult, but maybe not after a week? Someone clue me in please! I also drive a pickup truck with no running boards, so I kind of have to half jump into that as well and definitely have to use stomach muscles to do so. Do y'all think it would be a bad idea to try to drive my truck? I can probably have one of my parents switch cars with me for a little while if I really need to. I'll definitely ask my doctor at my preop appointment but want to get a general idea first!

I am 1 week postop and here is what I did:

For the first few nights I slept in my daughter's bed as mine was too high to climb in. I think it was probably night 3 that I got into my own bed with careful maneuvering.

I began driving again 4 days post op. I have an SUV that I have to hitch up into a bit. I had to have my kids shut my door a few times because I couldn't lean over to close it. I've since learned to pull it with me as I get in. Getting in and out still have challenges. Try your truck first and then see how you feel.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I have a high bed and I still have not tried it because once I am down, I am like a turtle on its back!!! I need assistance getting up. So, I have been sleeping on my sofa with lots of cushions around me to support my upper body. I have also had my sister here to help pull me up when I could not get up on my own. Today is day 4 post-op for me, and I have not tried to drive yet (still on pain meds). I did ride in the car and that was ok, though every pothole was a little painful! I would think a car with handles at the door would be easier to get into than a truck with no running boards. Everyone is different though--you may not have the same trouble I had so it is hard to say, but it is helpful to have someone to help you the first week.

Everyone's surgery is different but I could walk right after surgery and even drove and shopped for Valentine's Day the day after my surgery. I was really only sore about 4 days and the pain meds took care of that pretty well. Your mileage may vary but It's usually a pretty quick recovery. Anytime you bend over, cough, or climb I'd recommend putting your hand on your port area and applying a little pressure. It can relieve some of the strain on your abdominal muscles where the port is attached.

I'm 8 days post op and I can pretty much do whatever I want, or at least everything I have tried lol. The only time I feel anything is when I bend over to tie my shoes. And I'm not suppose to lift 30 lbs or more for 2 more weeks. But right after my surgery I couldn't do anything. I slept in my recliner and only started sleeping in the bed last night.

I didn't drive for five days after my surgery.....but I slept on our waterbed the day after surgery. I just needed some help getting up that first night. After that, all was good.

I am just over a week post op and am "back to normal" with the exception of a little soreness. Day 2 was the worst for me, I was off all pain meds on day 3, drove again on day 5 and likely could have sooner but was worried about not being able to twist as easily to check for cars or back out of parking spots. On day 5 I went to a pool party at a friends was a little slow getting up and down in the chairs but doable. I was back to loading the dishwasher, picking up the kids toys from the ground and laundry (though not carrying the basket) by day 6. I even slept on my side/stomach last night with no problems. Everyone is different so you'll really have to judge for yourself. I have had 2 c-sections and remember a lot of the "skills" I used to cope with that- this is similar and did many of the same things to move around and limit the pain.

I have been in my bed since the day of surgery (last wednesday, June 26th). I felt better laying flat on my back in bed than in a chair/recliner. I got a little step stool and have figured out how to step-up, get on the bed on my knees and kind of fall over with my little pillow over my stomach. Sounds kind of ridiculous writing it, but I was proud when I could get into bed by myself haha. Getting out of bed takes a little longer but includes my little pillow over my stomach, some fancy rolls, and my bedside table. You'll figure it out. I think after the first week you will have learned some tricks that work for you. My sister was with me the day I had surgery, but I've been alone during the day since then. I stopped taking my pain meds last night so I can drive, but I'm not quite up to it. I think a week out you should be ok. good luck!

I slept in my high bed the night of my surgery. It was actually easy for me bc I didn't have to bend down. I drove on Day 3. My port area still stings when I walk. It is Day 4 for me now. I have been staying home alone with my 2 kids for the past 2 days and haven't needed any help. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm very newly banded (today). I got home around 5:30pm and been napping on and off for hours, it hurts a little climbing in and out of my bed its high but I hold myself. also I been going up and down the stairs to the kitchen ( i live in a bi level).

Good advice is to keep moving it hurts at first but it is what gets the air out.

Sunshine

Today is my 2nd day post op, feeling better still sore and hard to get up from sitting. I'm praying tomorrow is much better.

Was anyone given a breathing tube apparatus that you inhale into to register a certain height that a sliding piece climbs as you inhale? It's supposed to keep me from getting pneumonia. 8 days 4x p/ day. Others I know who have had LBs were given this thing also. My question is that it causes soreness in my lungs. Anybody experience this?

Was anyone given a breathing tube apparatus that you inhale into to register a certain height that a sliding piece climbs as you inhale? It's supposed to keep me from getting pneumonia. 8 days 4x p/ day. Others I know who have had LBs were given this thing also. My question is that it causes soreness in my lungs. Anybody experience this?

It is called an incentive spirometer. It is used after surgeries to get people to take deep breaths as we tend to shallow breathe with pain. It is important to do your breathing exercises, even if your lungs hurt. Your lungs hurting is your lungs expanding, work through it.

I got one of those breathing thingies too......the days after my surgery,my wife would hand it to me, and use the same tone of voice I used when she was in labor, "Breathe!"

Hello everyone...I am 6 days post op and on the liquid diet. I have had sugar free Jello, sugar free ice pops, clear broths and yesterday I tried Protein drinks. I have just a little soreness but I am out of the house and mobile.

Unfortunately, I am hungry. I know I dont have a fill yet but i really thought I would have no hunger twinges. Is anyone else experiencing this? and what are you doing to cope?