Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in 2009 and had plication TWO days ago

Hi all! I had a band put in in 2009. Lost 70 pounds, it slipped in 2012 and I've gained back 30 pounds. I decided something needed to be done before I gained all my weight back. Had a plication done and my lap band was left in cause it does give me some restriction. I'm in tremendous pain, nothing like the other two surgeries. Has anyone had this done? I would love to hear from anyone in my boat. I'm on day three and thinking "what the hell have I done to myself" that's the drugs and pain talking I'm sure. Chime in if you have two cents!! Thanks a million!!

Nina - I had plication done with my lap band surgery, so I can't really comment on the pain. I had that done, along with removal of my gallbladder & a hernia repair. I was in a lot of pain, but I can't say which thing caused what. Logically speaking, it was probably a combo of everything.

That being said, I would love to hear back from you when the pain subsides, and you're up and running with the new plication. I'm interested to know how different it is, other than the band alone. I don't have a reference point since both were done together, but I always wanted input from someone who had them done separately.

As far as the pain, it will subside. If it's off the charts horrible, then call you doctor. But remember, they just folded in your stomach and sutured it. I'm not surprised that you're in a lot of pain. But I do know that it subsides with a bit of time. When I woke up from surgery, I could barely breathe. And it was that way for a good two weeks. I hope you have some really GOOD pain meds! I had Lortab (liquid Vicodin). SAVED me!

Hang in there.......

Thanks! I'll keep you posted. My first two surgeries were a breeze compared to this. The lortab makes me horribly sick. Ive stopped taking it and only taking it to help me sleep at night. I'm on tylenol for daytime pain. They gave me some Tylenol with codeine too. May try that tomorrow. I've already lost 5 pounds cause I can't eat and I feel like crap. food doesn't even sound good. I think this is mostly gas pain but where my band is aches. Ugh!! I has to get better!!!

I know what plication is and my surgeon doesn't perform that but may I ask why you chose to have that done 4 yrs down the road? I mean you already had the lap band, I guess I'm confused as to what further the plication can do for you???

I did have plication ten months after I was originally banded. My band slipped and I opted for plication when I had the slip repaired. Strangely enough, I recovered a lot quicker and had much less pain with the second surgery that added plication than I did the first surgery with the band alone.

I opted to have the plication added because I was not happy with my rate of weight loss with the band alone.

Unfortunately, I really didn't notice any difference at all with the plication added. I still had to have several fills to my band to get back into the green zone. But now that I am finally in the green zone, I'm pretty happy with my weight loss.

I have to admit that I thought I was a wimp but I was in a lot of pain after surgery and needed two full weeks to recover. I had Lapband with plication and hernia repair. Reading about the people who went to work after three days or shopping the day after I thought was just crazy. Nice to know others need more time too.

As far as the plication goes - I've never been "starving" before reaching green zone. Never wanted to chew my arm off. And as long as I made healthy food choices have always been able to stay under 1200 cal/day.

Best if luck with your recovery!

Thanks! I'll keep you posted. My first two surgeries were a breeze compared to this. The lortab makes me horribly sick. Ive stopped taking it and only taking it to help me sleep at night. I'm on tylenol for daytime pain. They gave me some Tylenol with codeine too. May try that tomorrow. I've already lost 5 pounds cause I can't eat and I feel like crap. food doesn't even sound good. I think this is mostly gas pain but where my band is aches. Ugh!! I has to get better!!!

When I had my hysterectomy last year, the doctor gave me Percoset. It worked really well, and I didn't get sick. Although, I don't seem to have a problem with any of them. If you're still having a lot of pain, even with the Tylenol and codeine, then maybe they can give some to try? Just a thought. I hate being in pain, and have little tolerance for it.

Feel better!

I have to admit that I thought I was a wimp but I was in a lot of pain after surgery and needed two full weeks to recover. I had Lapband with plication and hernia repair. Reading about the people who went to work after three days or shopping the day after I thought was just crazy. Nice to know others need more time too.

As far as the plication goes - I've never been "starving" before reaching green zone. Never wanted to chew my arm off. And as long as I made healthy food choices have always been able to stay under 1200 cal/day.

Best if luck with your recovery!

I felt the same. I was in pain for a good two weeks, and it took a month before I turned the corner. During the first couple of weeks (mostly the first week), there were nights that I'd get up at 2a.m. & take a swig of Lortab. The doctor had told me that this surgery would be nothing compared to the hysterectomy. NOT! The surgery took a lot out of me; I was surprised how long it took to recover completely. But I'm SO glad that I did it! It's doing everything I hoped it would, and I've never had a day with regret.

I know what plication is and my surgeon doesn't perform that but may I ask why you chose to have that done 4 yrs down the road? I mean you already had the lap band, I guess I'm confused as to what further the plication can do for you???

Donna - the plication is a secondary restriction, and reduces the amount of food you can take in at one time. For instance, if you go for a lot of slider foods, they may get through the band okay, but your stomach isn't going to hold a lot. For me, it was the choice to have the second tier of restriction, in case anything went wrong with the band. It's also supposed to reduce some possible band issues, particularly, less fills and slipping.

gotcha, now I know! Now you guys got me wanting it, bummer.

I also hao lap band with the plication 2/8/13 and im glad i did, for any reason something goes wrong with the band, i have like a back up..lol....but i get fuller quickly, my stomach will only hold about 2-4oz of food, but good luckon your journey and the pain will ease up in the next week or so