Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since being banded, I've gotten the cooking bug!

I used to hate cooking. My late husband commented to my family once that he actually asked for meatloaf for his birthday meal. Just meatloaf. Something so simple, but since he ate Cereal, PBJ's, and hot dogs everynite, meatloaf was a special thing to him. He was lucky if I cooked twice a month. And never homemade. I always used prepackaged foods. My mom is an avid cook and cookbook collector. She started buying me cookbooks (that I never opened). Why do I need to cook when Lean Cuisine, Kraft, Hamburger Helper all did a fine job at it for me?

When I lost my husband almost 6 yrs ago, I weighed about 200 (always overweight me whole life). But then over a 2 yrs span, I gained another 50 lbs. I moved 3,000 miles away (from VA to OR) to start my life over again 4 yrs ago. I still hated to cook. I ate fast food, sandwiches, frozen stuff, deli stuff, you name it. When I got my band 3 1/2 yrs ago, I STILL hated cooking. I still ate crap.

Over this past year, I've discovered my inner cook. Pinterest recipes is my very fav website. I scour cookbooks at nite while watching tv. My husband is a carb-a-phobe, so he basically eats meat and veggies. Not too difficult. Every Saturdy nite we play poker at a friends and have a potluck. This is my night to shine! I practice my skills on them - and they LOVE it! i usually make a main course and a dessert. Last Saturday nite I made chicken enchiladas and Mexican sopapillas. So many compliments. Now I can't cook enuf! I wish my husband would eat a more variety of foods. I hate cooking just for myself! I try out low carb recipes that fit his taste, and those are good for me too!

And baking....I'm even more fond of making homemade cakes than opening the package of Duncan Hines! Now is the time I wish I had 4 kids to cook for! I'm part of a group at my church that brings meals to people that are sick, just had a baby, or in the hospital. I can create masterpieces there also!

Just wanted to share how getting healthier has affected my cooking skills! The only things in my freezer now are meats and veggies. No frozen meals, burritos, pizzas, etc. Love to cook!

Marci

Better for you than processed foods... but watch out for those cakes! :)

Pinterest is the best!! I agree about the cooking though.....something strange is happening to me in the kitchen too. :)

Hi marfar7. You can cook for me all your heart desires. How much for shipping to N.D.? lol :)

Me too! I am always on the hunt for recipes that will satisfy my family and my band!

I also love PInterest. Last week I made the chicken Parmesan meatballs and they were delicious!

I think it's because now that I eat less quantity, I look for more quality and stronger flavors.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches