Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is a "normal" amount of food?

Hi-I'm going to try to sum this up.....I was banded 2/14/12, I have lost 82 pounds and was doing pretty good. Three weeks ago I had issues where I couldn't eat or drink and it lasted for 2 weeks until I could get into my dr. I felt like food was stuck, a pork chop to be exact lol. I finally got in and the dr said there was food stuck and he deflated the band, the food passed, and he added more Fluid. Prior to this incident I had my last fill in December and since then I can only eat maybe at most 1/4 cup of food for lunch and dinner. I can't eat anything for Breakfast. I start my day with a cup of coffee or tea, then Water. Around 9:00 I have a Protein Shake and can barely finish that. My list of food that I can tolerate is very limited. My diet pretty much consists of baked chicken breast and Chili from Wendys. I can't eat any other meat (besides chicken and occasionally ground beef). I can't eat fruits, veggies, breads, Pasta, any type of "breakfast foods" even for dinner, I cant even tolerate the "slider" foods. So my question is..is this normal? Should I just suck it up and deal with it? I'm going to my dr again on Wednesday as I'm very concerned and it cant be healthy!? I don't want to be able to eat a lot but would love to be able to eat Protein and veggies in one meal.

Short answer: No, you may need a small unfill. I wouldn't go for much. Maybe .25 CC taken out? Wednesday is good. Good luck.

Definitely not normal at all. You sound like you are too tight which is not good.

Here's an excellent article that I think may help you: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/page/index.html/_/support/post-op-support/tighter-isnt-always-better-r118

Your situation sounds more than just a tight band in the mornings. You should talk with your doctor about everything you just mentioned including how often you get hungry as well. I'm pretty sure you will need a minor adjustment. You sound like you are on the tighter side of the green zone.

I'm pretty sure things will get better for you.

May need to check for a slip if your doctor did not already do so.

Ya I'm frustrated it just doesn't seem healthy to me and my Dr has so many patients that I'm just another number there. I was just there last weds and couldnt even talk to him much because it is only his adjustment day. My Dr is in Chicago a 2 hr drive for me.

Scrapmom, I know what you mean about being just a number. I dumped my first surgeon because I felt as if I were on an assembly line. Going from one room to the next, one nurse or insurance coordinator to the next. It was like, hurry up, we've got 15 people backed up behind you.

I love my current surgeon. Very down to earth and practical. You need to feel comfortable with your doctors.

tmf

I was too tight for a year and it began to stretch out my esaphogus, which could cause malignent cells to form. I had never heard of this before. It is so scary that my eating too much and being too tight could have caused cancer. I really wish they talked about this more. Made more people aware. So scary! It does sound like you are too tight. Don't eat too much like I did. Learn from me. Follow my lap band blog www.biscuitsandexcuses.blogspot.com

Thank you all! I dont like being this tight and just feel blah. At first I thought I was Crazy and that's how its supposed to be. But yesterday for example...I had a cup of coffee at 8am and at 12 had lunch with my son. I ate one piece of orange chicken and it took me 10 minutes. It went down good but a few Minutes later the pain started and I couldn't eat or anything else the rest of the day so then I realsized it can't be normal. Can't wait to see my dr and hope he does something today

Hope they take a smidge out. You will feel so much better. Not to mention you have to eat to lose.

Well my Dr looked at the band and said it looked good So he wanted me to take medicine for a month for gastritis and come back. Wouldnt even give me 2 seconds to explain what was going on. He turned to walk out the door and I said oh no you need to take some out because Im way too tight. He finally agreed to do it and deflated the band and told me to be careful so I don't gaIn weight and to come back In a Month. So disappointed with him.

Did he totally remove everything? I would be looking for another doctor. I make sure I am, part of the recovery and management for any illness or procedures I have done. Dag what An SOB!

Yes he removed all the Fluid

When I told hIm to take some out he said ok I will give you a vacation and deflate it. With my insurance I don't have many options and he is the best In the area but I'm just more money for him. He told me when he looked at the band that it was pretty open and dId not need an unfill

I know my body!

That's ridiculous!

Why would he remove all your Fluid if all you needed was a slight adjustment? The only reason you should have a complete fluid removal is I you have gastric complications or you get pregnant.

If I were you, I would be calling that office until you talk to your doctor and have a good conversation about this. Being in a hurry is one thing, but not listening like that is unacceptable.