Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

guess somewhere I must have missed this topic because this is something that noone has discussed with me so glad I read this because I had no idea .... Thanks so Much

guess somewhere I must have missed this topic because this is something that noone has discussed with me so glad I read this because I had no idea .... Thanks so Much

Anytime countrygirl...I'm going to do my best to keep putting up topics people assume we should know but we don't because sometimes the ball gets dropped...I figure its better to ask and be covered than to be content in not knowing...enjoy your day...and thank you for your kindness.

I am still amazed how different surgeons suggestions/rules can be! You would think for as long as the band has been around, they would have come up with some standards! My clinic just and I mean just ( this week), changed their recommendations to being able to drink right up until you start to eat, with a few sips during your meal if needed, and wait for about 15 min or so after. I still find it hard not to drink a big tall glass of Water with my meal, but I look forward to it when I am done.

Hi,

I think the before drinking is to see if the "hunger" is actually hunger or thirst (which happens to me sometimes) and/or make us a little more full before starting to eat.

These are guesses. But sometimes when I'm hungry I really needed Water.

My doctor also just had the 30 mins after suggestion.

Josie

Why only the little sips of Water when banded? I drink A LOT of water, and fast too, so I'm really going to need to work on that..but if it goes right through, why only little sips at a time?

I try to keep from drinking directly after finishing a meal. I try to delay that for as long as possible. It helps keep the satisfied feeling longer.

Why only the little sips of Water when banded? I drink A LOT of water' date=' and fast too, so I'm really going to need to work on that..but if it goes right through, why only little sips at a time?[/quote']

Chris I would like to know the answer to that question...I will add that to the list of what to ask my surgeon..my drinking habits are much like yours.

The sips thing depends on how tight your band is. After surgery I was so tight I could get stuck on too much Water because of the funnel effect, but got some removed from the band and all is well. Now I can drink more quickly, but choose not to gulp.

However' date=' recent research is proving even that is unnecessary They now know that it takes food less than a minute to pass through the band when eaten properly. It doesn't sit up on the band as originally thought so there isn't anything to "wash through". For this reasons, a lot of doctors are changing their recommendations to small sips while while eating is fine and simply drink as normal any other time.[/quote']

If the food doesn't sit up in the band, then how

are such minute amts of foods supposed 2 keep u satiated for 3-4hrs, supposedly until they go thru? I don't understand bc from everything I've read, I had believed this was the entire point of the band....?

Same here.....but I learned about drinking by "Listening" to my band.....drinking right up to eating does not seem to make any difference.....drinking while eating, my band SCREAMS at me....not a good thing to do....

as far as drinking after eating, again, the band will tell me when it's safe...and will always start with a small sip to test it and be sure it's safe....

Never found drinking pushes the food down...quite the opposite for me with very undesirable results.....not to mention the pain and probable pouch dilation.....and food in my pouch to make me feel satisfied...I'm satisfied (not hungry) 24/7.....eating has nothing to do with it....

Same here.....but I learned about drinking by "Listening" to my band.....drinking right up to eating does not seem to make any difference.....drinking while eating' date=' my band SCREAMS at me....not a good thing to do....

as far as drinking after eating, again, the band will tell me when it's safe...and will always start with a small sip to test it and be sure it's safe....

Never found drinking pushes the food down...quite the opposite for me with very undesirable results.....not to mention the pain and probable pouch dilation.....and food in my pouch to make me feel satisfied...I'm satisfied (not hungry) 24/7.....eating has nothing to do with it....[/quote']

B-52 thank you friend...very informative. I'm listening to my band and its giving me some pretty good advice...lol...when it talks I listen...again thank you friend.

Please let me know what's the rule for drinking(not) alcohol. Some say

5/30/30

Five minutes before then take 30 min to eat finally drink 30 minutes after...help.

30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. The first time my lap band was tight I drank with every meal. I did not lose the weight very fast and I gained back what I did lose. This time I am not drinking with my meals and I can tell the biggest difference. I am getting fuller sooner. Good Luck! check out my lap band blog www.biscuitsandexcuses.blogspot.com

Wow I read all the way through these posts and my surgeon is WAY more conservative with his drinking rules. I am not supposed to drink anything until 2 hours after eating! I can drink almost up until a meal though.

As a person who didn't drink for 30 minutes following meals and now has been told to drink with meals because of GI dismotility, I have experienced no difference in the amount I can eat, nor in satiety. I still go 4, 5 or even 6 hours without feeling hungry and can eat 1 cup of food, max. My band is empty.