Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please let me know what's the rule for drinking(not) alcohol. Some say

5/30/30

Five minutes before then take 30 min to eat finally drink 30 minutes after...help.

every dr is different. mine said 30 before and 60 after.

wendy

every dr is different. mine said 30 before and 60 after.

wendy

That's what mine said, too.

That's what mine said' date=' too.[/quote']

Wow..

I drink right up till I eat (it goes right thru so I don't understand why you have to wait 30 minutes) then I can feel when I can drink afterwards (I've had my band for 3 1/2 yrs, you will learn to feel it soon), usually 30-45 minutes later. I CAN'T drink while eating - it'll all come right back up. I guess that good. No wanting to drink while eating!

Marci

liquids will push solid food through the band quicker. Avoiding liquids 30 minutes prior, and 60 minutes after, will keep you satiated for a long time when you eat.

Liquids will push solid food through the band quicker. Avoiding liquids 30 minutes prior, and 60 minutes after, will keep you satiated for a long time when you eat.

I still don't understand why going without fluids BEFORE makes a difference. The food isn't in there yet, it'll go right thru. This is what my dr explained, at least. I understand the concept AFTER eating, but before?

Marci

My doctor said I could drink right up until the time I started eating then 30 minutes after.

However, recent research is proving even that is unnecessary They now know that it takes food less than a minute to pass through the band when eaten properly. It doesn't sit up on the band as originally thought so there isn't anything to "wash through". For this reasons, a lot of doctors are changing their recommendations to small sips while while eating is fine and simply drink as normal any other time.

My doctor said I could drink right up until the time I started eating then 30 minutes after.

However' date=' recent research is proving even that is unnecessary They now know that it takes food less than a minute to pass through the band when eaten properly. It doesn't sit up on the band as originally thought so there isn't anything to "wash through". For this reasons, a lot of doctors are changing their recommendations to small sips while while eating is fine and simply drink as normal any other time.[/quote']

Love me some you Mis73...thank u

I drink right up till I eat (it goes right thru so I don't understand why you have to wait 30 minutes) then I can feel when I can drink afterwards (I've had my band for 3 1/2 yrs' date=' you will learn to feel it soon), usually 30-45 minutes later. I CAN'T drink while eating - it'll all come right back up. I guess that good. No wanting to drink while eating!

Marci[/quote']

marfar7..your logic is awesome..thank you so much.

I still don't understand why going without fluids BEFORE makes a difference. The food isn't in there yet, it'll go right thru. This is what my dr explained, at least. I understand the concept AFTER eating, but before?

Marci

Yeah - doesn't make much sense. Since I'm newly banded, I'm going to follow their instructions to the T, but I'm sure in time I'll alter some things that work better for me :-) As long as I keep losing weight, I'm good :D

marfar7..your logic is awesome..thank you so much.

Sashabanded - didn't your doctor give you TONS of instructions? Between the pre-op and post-op trainings, I've been saturated with "rules of the band". :blink:

Per mine I drink up to meal time then 60 minutes after. If i drink too soon my meals want to come back up. Congrats on your surgery!

Sashabanded - didn't your doctor give you TONS of instructions? Between the pre-op and post-op trainings' date=' I've been saturated with "rules of the band". :blink:[/quote']

MRSINTO...the thing is he gave instructions but then says do what u are comfy with...soooo I decided to ask my fam and test out some theories from there.

Per mine I drink up to meal time then 60 minutes after. If i drink too soon my meals want to come back up. Congrats on your surgery!

Hely88...thank you for that info...hugzzz to you.