Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Banders with MS (multiple sclerosis)?

Hi Banders I received bittersweet news from my Neurologist yesterday, he informed me that it looks like I have MS according to an MRI of the brain & neck and a visual evoked potential test.... With those test results both coming up abnormal and leaning towards MS my final test will be an upcoming Spinal Tap which after those results he will start me on treatment for this disease. I won't see my Lap Band surgeon until April 2nd but my Neurologists says that the lap band and losing weight will not affect my MS and "flare-ups" at all.. I have one co-worker who is 33 with this disease and that's it, so I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has MS and the Lap Band???

Bless your heart and the best of luck to you. hugs

Great thanks ladies! Hopefully she replies or msgs me?? XoXo

Hi there

I just sent a message to Missy. Im sure she will respond as soon as she is able.

I dont have MS however I have Fibro, Raynauds and Lupus. Which is another autoimmune disease.

However i was diagnosed after my band placement. My surgeon says if I had been diagnosed before banding he would not have performed it.

Because of inflammation an organ involvement.

Like I said I dont have MS. So maybe its different.

Hello! Sorry I've been gone all day at hospice with my grandma.

Yes, I have Multiple Sclerosis.

First, I am so very sorry you're going through this I'm sure the thought of the spinal tap isn't thrilling you either, but honestly, it wasn't that bad at all. Numbing the area hurt more than the actual spinal and it was over very quickly. It's good you're getting it though so they be 100% you're getting the proper diagnosis.

The only effect the Lap Band and losing weight have had on the MS for me is all positive. Of course losing weight can't effect the disease progression directly, however it has greatly improved symptoms like leg pain and spasticity. In fact, when I got the Band 14 months ago I needed a cane just to get around my house and now I walk 2 miles a day without any aid and easily. The NMSS has a slogan for MS "keep moving!". There's very good reason for that- because MS will stop you from moving. I got healthier and "keep moving" and it really positively effects my overall health tremendously.

Best wishes to you. And be sure to have a good neurologist and get on a drug to slow the disease progression. It's really imperative to your long term prognosis and quality of life.

Thanks for all the support Mis73 sorry to hear about your Grandma! Another reason I love this site! I am so happy to have a diagnosis my family thought I was clumsy and crazy when I said I have numbness from the waist down! Glad to hear that the spinal tap won't be to bad I keep hearing the after headaches hurt the worst! Thx for the support! Xo

Thanks for all the support Mis73 sorry to hear about your Grandma! Another reason I love this site! I am so happy to have a diagnosis my family thought I was clumsy and crazy when I said I have numbness from the waist down! Glad to hear that the spinal tap won't be to bad I keep hearing the after headaches hurt the worst! Thx for the support! Xo

As long s you stay laying down, the headache stays away. Drink lots of caffeine, lots of Water, and plan on laying flat in bed for 24 hours after.

Missy sorry to hear of your grandmother.

@journey I have had two spinal taps so far. The first time i had a killer headache. The worst ever. However i was never told to drink lots an lay flat. The second time i did an all went went.

Hope things go well for you hon

Hi! I have MS diagnosed march 8th 2010.! Pleasure meeting you, my email is jamyduran@me.com I can help you through as much as needed! Stay strong!

Thanks Jamy I will be emailing you shortly!

Look forward to it!!!

Hi, I have Multiple sclerosis and was dx about 5 years ago. I am just starting the lapband journey. I went to see my dr today and just filled out some paperwork and got some labs done. My neuro said that he did not know of any complications with ms and the lapband and the surgeon said it would not be a problem. I am still kind of nervous about it though . I am so glad that you have had good results with the band mis73!

Hi I have MS and was diagnosed in Oct.1989. I had the band in Sept 2011. It had only positive effects like was mentioned before. Good luck and get the best Neurologist you can that makes all the difference.