Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I got my first fill last week and im not feeling any different...Im worried I stretched my stomach out maybe im just paranoid right but it's possible...Will things get better on my second fill? Someone ease my mind..

First off, first fills rarely produce restriction. Secondly, the only way you would stretch your stoma is by eating too fast, eating the wrong foods, not chewing thoroughly or eating more than you are supposed to. Are you doing any of these things? Are you following your Dr's instructions?

My first few fills I never felt any effects from until about a week later- odd but that is how I was. The more fills you get the more effects you will have. Don't stress- as long as you are holding your portions down to the alloted amount set by your doc you won't do any harm. Now, if you go out to a buffet and pig out then you might have a problem.

Don't worry so much. (I know easier said than done). Many have walked in your shoes and have emerged and been successfull. So try not to stress to much. Walk / move more, stick to your alloted amounts and you will see results.

I have only had 1 fill and I too didn't feel any different. I spoke to my nutritionist and she told me that the 3rd fill is when most people start to feel the restriction. Be patient and continue following your doctor orders.

Be patient, you will slowly feel a difference- I got my band in November and finally just starting to get close to the green zone

if you are following the bands guidelines, drinking/eating allotted amounts, then you are doing great..even if you dont feel like the band is working, it is...be patient it will come...FYI, i am proof you can lose without a fill.. best of luck to you all :)...we can do this

Take a deep breath and be patient. Keep following doctors orders, and you will get there. It is a journey, not a destination.

Ditto what Terry said

My first word of advice for newbies: HAVE PATIENCE. Restriction doesn't happen overnight. for me, it was the 3rd fill, 4 mths post op. I didn't lose a lb those first 4 mths (probly cuz I was eating just as I had pre op - felt this was yet another failure of mine).

Like a dummy, I didn't heed my drs recomendations of sticking to liquids for 24 hrs post fill. Had my first meal the the hotel coffee shop about 6 hrs post fill. I was able to eat about 4 bites of chicken, 3 bites of a baked potato, and a couple bites of green Beans. Didn't even attempt the dinner roll. That dinner was my "magic dinner". I felt restriction immediately, didn't have to wait a week. It also provided me with about 4 more meals!

Since then (about 3 1/2 yrs post op), I've had many fills/unfills/slips/tweaks with my band. I don't have the greatest restriction I once had, but there's no way I could eat like I did pre op. I've never been able to eat more than 1 egg and 1 pc of bacon for Breakfast, 1/2 sandwich for lunch, or 1/3 of a chicken breast for dinner. When we go out, I always bring home enuf for at least 2-3 more meals (I get sick of them by the next day tho and they usually get trashed).

Like I said, it wasn't till my 3rd fill where I felt I was in control of my portions (actually, my band is in control, because my eyes are ALWAYS bigger than my tummy, still!). I don't think there's been a meal in the last 3 yrs that I've finished 100% - and that feels great!

Have patience! It WILL happen for you! Good luck!

Marci

Thanks everyone I also called my nurse and she eased my mind :-) getting another fill next week

Marfar7 thanks you have made me feel better! Was banded jan 25th not lost one pound since then the weight I lost on liquid stage has gone back on and I can eat anything and I don't feel any different, I know I'm eating too much but its because I can and in hungry a lot still! Had one fi and hoped this would help but it hasn't so your post has given me some faith!! Thanks was feeling really down all this week that it wasn't going to work for me x

Marfar7 thanks you have made me feel better! Was banded jan 25th not lost one pound since then the weight I lost on liquid stage has gone back on and I can eat anything and I don't feel any different, I know I'm eating too much but its because I can and in hungry a lot still! Had one fi and hoped this would help but it hasn't so your post has given me some faith!! Thanks was feeling really down all this week that it wasn't going to work for me x

You are quite welcome! I hope you do well after your next fill. Some people (very few) don't need any fills, some need 1-2, I think most need 3-4. Like I said, before my 3rd fill, I ate just as I had previously (a whole lg Quiznos sandwich, and a bowl of broccoli cheese Soup. Now I can eat maybe 6 bites of a small Quiznos sandwich and about 1/2 cup of the same Soup. I'm not recommending that you eat like I did, however. If I had to do it over again, I would've abided by the rules a little more (like no soda, counting calories, sticking to a cup of food), but thats why I got the band in the first place - I'm not a very good "rule" following or dieter.

Here's another little bit of advice for you: Slow down your eating. for the first 2 1/2 yrs, I vomited about 50% of my meals cuz I couldn't manage to slow down my eating. It caused a minor slip last year that I'm still working on. Now, I take the full 20 minutes to eat my meal and I've only vomited maybe twice.

Good luck to you. Hope your next fill is the "magic" one for you!

Marci

So I got my first fill last week and im not feeling any different...Im worried I stretched my stomach out maybe im just paranoid right but it's possible...Will things get better on my second fill? Someone ease my mind..

I doubt you have stretched your stomach. It is also a mind game and you need to work on training your brain. Follow the rules on eating and drinking, log and weigh or measure your food. It takes a while to break old habits and to get our head on track with when you really need to eat! Keep yourself occupied with other things in place of eating, your head will catch up! It took me a couple months to really figure out when I was truly hungry and not head hungry. Now I am very rarely hungry.

Don't forget to exercise. MyFitnessPal.com helped me to find what burned the most calories. I figured if I was going to work out I was going to get the most of it!

I know I'm the same everyone says you should stick to rules well if I could do that I'd have done that years ago and not need a band! I need it to stop me more than it is now just because I have it in me doesn't mean my twenty years of bad habits have gone too! Think I just need to realise its a slower process than id first hopped for!!

I had my surgery in December (4 mos. ago) and I just had my fourth fill. I was getting very discouraged, since I also felt the band wasn't doing anything, and I wondered if it was really there :)

After the fourth fill I found I was starting to feel satiated after eating a few bites of food, and I also had to slow down, eat slowly, and chew properly. A small Wake-Up wrap from Dunkin Donuts will give me a full feeling between lunch and dinner. It is a great feeling not to be hungry between meals! Right not I am doing around 70 grams of Protein a day, and keeping the calories under 1100. Lots of yogurt and chicken!