Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we get a unlike button?

It became a police state as some of the posse took it upon themselves police any post that was not expressed in a way that they approved of.

For instance, on this site you have a group of people who believe that being direct and honest is the best way to deal with people. And you have others that go out of their way to be empathetic and do their best to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. There is a constant state of tension between the two camps. Who is right? Neither, both. But as the posse is built they will try to enforce their views on the opposing camp.

But such is life.

Oh yeah, I've seen this dynamic in action here. I wonder how it'll be addressed. IMHO there should be a single policy that all adhere to for stuff like this to work. It could either be a guideline that requires constant monitoring/correction or a hard-and-fast rule that has no exceptions, but having warring camps both be deputized can be a nightmare. Good point.

Oh yeah, I've seen this dynamic in action here. I wonder how it'll be addressed. IMHO there should be a single policy that all adhere to for stuff like this to work. It could either be a guideline that requires constant monitoring/correction or a hard-and-fast rule that has no exceptions, but having warring camps both be deputized can be a nightmare. Good point.

We have pretty clear forum rules/terms of service posted. All members agree to these terms upon signup. Over the last few months I've taken a very laissez faire approach and was hoping that members could police themselves. Moving forward, I plan on personally dealing with any members that aren't abiding by the posted rules.

I don't mind warring camps. We have a two party system here in the US. It's ok to have a different opinion.

I have no plans on "deputizing" any group or members. We're heading in quite the opposite direction. I'm debating a dictatorship :D

I'd be interested to hear from you what went wrong on those sites. I've seen lack of organized leadership turn an otherwise healthy board into an "us vs them" war. Veterans vs newbies was the most common fight ;) It was like high school where the seniors only wanted to hang out with other seniors. Or torture the freshmen.

Having a welcoming committee (or patient and interested people) pointing newbies to information, or answering the same question a million times took the pressure off veterans who wanted to kick back and relax, and cherry pick the conversations they got into. Just my experience!

I definitely would like to form a welcoming committee. We could also use a stop shouting in your title and stop typing as if you're texting committees as well. All kidding aside, I'd love to hear suggestions on (real) committees, besides a welcome committee.

Oh great, Sherrif's Joe's posse for the lapband forum. Just what this place needs. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I have been on sites with "deputized" users and have been unimpressed with the results.

Just to reiterate what I mentioned above, we have no plans on "deputizing" any members or group of members.

Yep...can't wait to leave this forum again....but then there are those that would like to see me, and others go....

Somehow I think that there is something wrong about being judged "thumbs up or thumbs down," "Like or Hate" "acceptable and Non acceptable" based purely on someones desire to express themselves.....

I would suppose knowing that the "police" will be watching, a lot less people will be willing to speak up....unless of course they have favor with the prison guards....

But then again...just like people become leaders based upon the "Likes" they receive, maybe we can start another tally and post the leaders of the "Hates" received....and post it for all to see just as the "Likes" are.....

There are all kinds of Orwell things we can do with this.....

I think I will need to put a Blue dot over my face......less someone recognizes me....

I'm gonna change my profile and become a "troll"

(I'm sorry, but I'm a product of the 60's and I can get....well never mind, no one here would understand )

Should I stay or should I go now?....If I go there will be trouble..... :D

If you're not happy about something, you can let me know.

We definitely plan on moving ahead (technologically) but have no plans on turning LBT into a police state.

I dont understand why all the unhappiness over a simple up or down button. We are all adults here and if someone likes or dislikes a post really are you going to lose sleep over it. People this is just a forum not a concentration camp for those who don't do what they are supposed to do. We all have a right to say (as long as it is within a decent tone but then again people misconstrue things that people say all the time) what we want and does it really matter if someone thumbs downed your post. I dont know about any of you but my life doesn't revolve around LBT as long as I can come here when I am able. If this really bothers you about a thumbs up or down button then that is sad.

So, how about that Super Bowl?!

and you crack me up also.... :o)

Thumbs up Thumbs down can be abused.....there are clearly personality differences here...I have a few people "Ignored"....

But if a person or group people wanted to, they can "Thumbs Down" EVERY post you make, not for the content of what you say, but just because it is you....

A person can easily be "Voted off the Island" socially....

Well I am sure someone hopefully would step in and see that this is being abused and put an end to those who do this. Those people who do things like that really need to get a life seriously.

Well I am sure someone hopefully would step in and see that this is being abused and put an end to those who do this. Those people who do things like that really need to get a life seriously.

Agree with this 100%! Yes, any system can be abused, either controlled or chaotic. The key is enforcement. Alex sounds like he's fully aware of this and plans to police the site himself.

Alex, for other ideas on committees, I'm just spitballing here - what about a committee for each category or forum? It's an easy way to split up duties. The larger categories might need a couple groups.

We have pretty clear forum rules/terms of service posted. All members agree to these terms upon signup. Over the last few months I've taken a very laissez faire approach and was hoping that members could police themselves. Moving forward, I plan on personally dealing with any members that aren't abiding by the posted rules.

I don't mind warring camps. We have a two party system here in the US. It's ok to have a different opinion.

I have no plans on "deputizing" any group or members. We're heading in quite the opposite direction. I'm debating a dictatorship :D

I'm good with that Alex, a Benevolent Dictatorship is one of the best methods for running a forum IMHO

I definitely would like to form a welcoming committee. We could also use a stop shouting in your title and stop typing as if you're texting committees as well. All kidding aside, I'd love to hear suggestions on (real) committees, besides a welcome committee.

Just to reiterate what I mentioned above, we have no plans on "deputizing" any members or group of members.

Ok, I'm unclear on what you are trying to accomplish. You aren't "deputizing", but you want to form committees? You already have a suggestion of a committee for every forum. What is the purpose and scope of the committee? Different rules? Enforce the rules? I am not really grasping your vision.

Ok, I'm unclear on what you are trying to accomplish. You aren't "deputizing", but you want to form committees? You already have a suggestion of a committee for every forum. What is the purpose and scope of the committee? Different rules? Enforce the rules? I am not really grasping your vision.

A committee for every forum topic......"All Chiefs and No Indians"

I'm curious too...a committee to do what?

Sounds like big government....if not big brother....

This whole subject is so LAUGHABLE.....and getting funnier every hour......for the 3 years I've been here, I did not even know there were any problems that needed this kind of scrutiny...

Being a "newbie" I do find all this very interesting. I'm still just trying to figure out how most the stuff on the site works. Who knew there were points and counters and such. I do look at profiles and how successful someone is to place some "value" on an opinion - but all the opinions do help me make up my own mind. Without more sides to a story we may not get a full picture. Then there are the abbreviations - I'm way out of the loop. So at the risk of looking very dumb: what is IMHO?

Being a "newbie" I do find all this very interesting. I'm still just trying to figure out how most the stuff on the site works. Who knew there were points and counters and such. I do look at profiles and how successful someone is to place some "value" on an opinion - but all the opinions do help me make up my own mind. Without more sides to a story we may not get a full picture. Then there are the abbreviations - I'm way out of the loop. So at the risk of looking very dumb: what is IMHO?

IMHO, that is how it should be.....I read posts, look at their profile and success also....What gets me is when someone talks with authority and TELLS people that THIS IS THE ONLY WAY....etc, etc...I look at their profile and see they have only been banded for a few months, etc, etc...and I wonder where are they getting their information from? certainly not experience,,,,,

If they started their statement with something like "This is what my Dr. taught me" I could accept that......but people with ego's...that is something else...

we don't need committees or monitors....we can keep each other honest by our own experiences, examples and stories.....

BTW, IMHO means "In My Honest Opinion"

IMHO, that is how it should be.....I read posts, look at their profile and success also....What gets me is when someone talks with authority and TELLS people that THIS IS THE ONLY WAY....etc, etc...I look at their profile and see they have only been banded for a few months, etc, etc...and I wonder where are they getting their information from? certainly not experience,,,,,

If they started their statement with something like "This is what my Dr. taught me" I could accept that......but people with ego's...that is something else...

we don't need committees or monitors....we can keep each other honest by our own experiences, examples and stories.....

As I see it...

Some people come here and want the easy answer and not have to look it up themselves, or call their doctor. And other people here want to force their experience as the experience everyone else should have. (Kind of like how you're saying you don't need guidance, because you're self sufficient, so this whole idea is ludicrous; but that isn't everyone else's personality. People have different needs).

Yeah, it's infuriating and annoying sometimes to see the dynamic of clueless newbie and pushy "non veteran", yes. But that doesn't mean those two kinds of people should be left to fend for themselves when this entire forum is about education and information. There needs to be some structure to complement the freedom of speech.

Alex, I think some of the biggest areas of content that might need a committee for answering questions are:

1. Lap Band General Info

2. Forum Help (navigating, tips and tricks, signatures, tickers etc)

3. Pre and Post Op Banding

The other forums seem to be self-explanatory and may not need such moderating. The three subjects above seem to be where most of the contention occurs between what kind and quality of help people are getting.

IMHO Definition / IMHO Means

The definition of IMHO is "In My Humble Opinion"