Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for answers...

I have some questions and i'm sure i can find the answers here... When i started in May of last year i was at 402. I'm now fluctuating at 330. My band can't get any tighter, but i don't feel full. I'm definitely eating less than i was pre surgery, but more than i need to. I'll be honest, i don't eat Proteins first, then veggies, then carbs. And that might be the problem. I'm working out 4 times a week and losing inches still, but want to keep dropping pounds. Just from my past diet history before the band I would get weak and gain all the weight back plus some so i guess that's why i'm scared. I'm not going to let that happen just looking for tips or info on diet / exercise / eating habits pointers that will get me going back in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Are you tracking your calories?

Are you getting your heart rate up for 20 - 30 mins. at least three times a week. Change up your workout too. alternate between cardio one day and weight training the next.

Most of all, you need to know how many calories you are taking in and burn more off.

I have some questions and i'm sure i can find the answers here... When i started in May of last year i was at 402. I'm now fluctuating at 330. My band can't get any tighter, but i don't feel full. I'm definitely eating less than i was pre surgery, but more than i need to. I'll be honest, i don't eat Proteins first, then veggies, then carbs. And that might be the problem. I'm working out 4 times a week and losing inches still, but want to keep dropping pounds. Just from my past diet history before the band I would get weak and gain all the weight back plus some so i guess that's why i'm scared. I'm not going to let that happen just looking for tips or info on diet / exercise / eating habits pointers that will get me going back in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

I am a carb addict, always have been so I can relate. I turned my eating habits around in full swing. I told myself I am going to make this work, my life depended on it. Being this heavy is crippling enough, I won't let my weight take control of me anymore. I took the control back.

What worked for me- I track every single food/drink I put into my mouth. I feel accountable for this, it helps me to see what I am eating, how much, and if I need less or more. I keep an extra special eye out on my calories, Proteins, fats, and carbs. I work out every single day 45 minutes on my edge gazelle and I do upper body workouts with dumbells.

There is really no magic to this honestly there isnt'. Its discipline!

If you are able to see a Nutrionist I suggest doing so that you can sit down and discuss a food plan that will fit right into your lifestyle. You have to change your eating habits, proteins always first, then work your way down - NO more than a cup of food (8 oz) per meal.

You can do this! Believe in yourself!

Best wishes,

Thank you both!

Thank you both!

BTW, I forgot to mention if you didn't already know there are is some pretty great apps out there to track your foods, etc. Loseit and myfitnesspal.

How do you know your band can't get any tighter? Sounds like you're eating whatever you want?

tmf

Last time i was getting a fill the band had to be unloosened some after being tightened bc the Water wouldn't go down. I eat less and steer clear of some foods (bread, cake, etc) because they clump up and won't go down. I'm not good at following rules, but from the comments above it looks like calorie counting and eating foods in the order i've been given is a must.

Side question... Does drinking really affect your fullness as much as they say it does in the meetings? I drink a great deal of Water and crystal light before, during, and after meals. Could that be a reason i'm eating more than i should? These questions may be dumb but i'm trying to figure this whole thing out and getting better with your help.

Yes drinking during eating is that important. That is one of the biggest rules they have thought me.

It sounds as though you are ignoring all the guidelines that you have been given and are still expecting the band to do it's job!

If you are going to ignore what you have been told then don't expect miracles, it's not a magic wand.

Stop looking for full the way you did preband and instead look for satisfied. Stop expecting the band to stop you eating things that you shouldn't , it won't happen. In fact the tighter yourband is the easier it becomes to rely on high cal sliders instead of healthy Proteins and veg.

And yes if you flush each mouthful down then the receptors at the top of the stomach do not get the chance to receive the signal that you have had enough.

Thanks for the tough love... You are exactly right though!

You've got some very good advice here, especially about the counting calories. I know some people can lose without counting calories but they seem to be the exception not the norm. I think it's particularly the case with food addicts because it's so easy for us to over eat unless we have that accountability. I know as for myself, there is no way I could've lost the weight I have so far if I didn't count every calorie that goes into my mouth.

It's also really important to monitor your portions, too. A cup or less per meal. Again, this helps to assure you don't accidentally over eat and it helps to make sure you don't accidentally stretch the pouch above your band.

Here is a really great link about the band, I think it might help you considerably too: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Best wishes!

Here is a good video explanation of what is happening if you drink while you are eating.

I don't want to sound overdramatic... but i'm so thankful i found this forum. You all have been so helpful with information that has already begun to change my approach to eating. So excited to be on track and let the lap band "do what it do baby!". Thank you all again! God bless you!

Wishing you all the best!

God Bless!