Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Support Thread :)

general_antiope
Sign in to follow this  

OK so I have to start my 7 day liquid diet Monday. I did NOT do well the first time around and fortunately was not turned back in surgery. but I really, really struggle with liquids only. I'm very much attached to solid food.

I've been starting to cut down my portions and get back into low fat land this week, but last night I flipped out. I bought bad food. I am eating it. I know with my head that I'm emotionally reacting to "losing" food, but I feel a little helpless at the moment.

I intend to go the entire 7 days next week on liquids. I have great shakes (www.shakeology.com) and they are thick and filling. I just know I'm going to need support by day 3 or 4. And the last weekend before banding!

How are you folks doing on your diet? For those who haven't started yet, are you ready? Did you stock up?

BTW, I had a bad morning (Tastykakes...ahh god) but for lunch I made a salad with cherry tomatoes, a little goat cheese, and 1 tbsp blue cheese dressing. I didn't eat all my dressing (always on the side, dip the fork!) and had some tuna with light mayo. It's still got fat and calories but it's the first "diet" meal or ANY type of restraint I have done since I was 4 months preggo and my band unfilled (about 8 months ago). LOL.

Tonight we're having baked haddock and orange-vanilla carrots.

I still don't have a date yet, but I'm already trying to get in that prep mode. Since I saw the nutritionist, I've been following her guidelines. I've cut out carbonated drinks, cut WAY down on caffeine (I'm a major tea drinker), cut out all sugar and food high in fat, getting 60 grams of Protein and faithfully been drinking 8 cups of Water a day. I've also started using My Fitness Pal to track my food diary. I've decided on a 1200 Cal intake. This morning after one week of this new behavior, I'm down 5 pounds! Granted, the weight loss is always greatest in the beginning of any diet, but 5 pounds is 5 pounds. My surgeon does not REQUIRE any pre-op diet, but I thought this might make the transition to post band eating easier.

BTW I passed my cardiac stress test yesterday! Last hurdle.....insurance approval.

I'm on day 3 of liquid diet.. And oh is it ever rough! Going to be a long 2 weeks!

I'm on day 3 of liquid diet.. And oh is it ever rough! Going to be a long 2 weeks!

I did a medically supervised liquid diet three years ago and found days 3-5 were the worst. It will get better. Just make sure you're getting enough protein.......here to support you.

My insurance approved the rebanding, my doc just signed my medical clearance yesterday, and Monday I go to NYU for pre op testing with the hospital (3 hrs away). I start my 7 day liquid diet on Monday, too. I'm actually getting sick of eating. My DH is "dieting" with me, so we've been kinda eating crap the last few days, and I'm looking forward to detoxing. I don't feel good!

I don't start my pre-op diet for a while. However, I thought I'd try out the sample of Unjury chocolate Splendor Protein Powder I'd ordered today. It was very good, to my surprise. I purchased Unjury because I am lactose intolerant and it had lots of good reviews.

I started my liquid diet last Tuesday and overall I've done ok. My doc did say if I need solid food to eat Protein and no carbs. I've cheated a little by eating solid food, but been good about not having any carbs. Today was pretty rough though. I have a endoscopy on Tuesday and sadly hoping for a least a small hiatal hernia. It's the only way the insurance will pay for any if it. If I don't have one at all, then I won't be able to self pay or the whole thing ATM. I find myself be apprehensive to get excited, but still determined to get through the pre-op procedures and diet.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Hi everyone! just checking in to see how everyone is doing. How are the preop diets going? I have been suffering with some afternoon headaches the past couple of days. I bought Unjury products and I really like them. They have this chicken Soup flavored powder that is actually pretty good!

Just had my EGD done and in fact I did have a small hernia. Set for banding on Feb 5th! Great news, so far I've lost 8lbs I. The last week on my liquid diet! One more week to go!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I'm just finishing up day 2 of my 14 day pre-op diet. I'm surprised by all the different instructions we get. I think I like my diet better than some of the others, but I want to lose a bunch of weight during the 2 weeks. Probably won't happen since my diet isn't as restrictive. My doc just requires 10 pounds and the purpose is to shrink the liver. I get a Protein at each meal, fruit for Breakfast, veggies at lunch and supper. No Snacks. Just lots of Water when i get that hungry feeling. Today wasn't too bad, but I'm not up and about burning any calories either.

Kate, what is Orange-vanilla carrots? How do you make them?

I don't start my pre-op diet for a while. However, I thought I'd try out the sample of unjury chocolate Splendor Protein powder I'd ordered today. It was very good, to my surprise. I purchased Unjury because I am lactose intolerant and it had lots of good reviews.

Did you find a free sample offer somewhere? I'm thinking I better get to stocking up on my post surgery stuff soon. chocolate Splendor sounds tasty.

Jen, that is wonderful that you have a hernia--wow that wording doesn't sound good. But for financial reasons, it is good. I have one too that my doc will repair.

can_do, I want your doctor! I do think that it is a good idea to start practicing lapband eating habits though. Good for you.

mg25, I'm glad I DON'T have your doctor! At least I can eat a few solids. My doctor's plan is to teach us how to eat during this pre-op and we are supposed to be chewing each bite 30 times, waiting 1 minute in between, no liquids for 30 minutes before and 45 minutes after each meal, etc. I'm happy for the practice. But more importantly, a total liquid diet would take way more determination I think.

Danielle, I hope you are doing well with your pre-op. Remember, we WILL get through this.

mg25, , jen, kate, danielle--keep working hard. I will too. This is the first part of our lapband experience, and when we make it through this pre-op, it will prove that we are all strong people. Then the other members of this group will read that we made it through, and they can too!

I feel like a dorky cheerleader <_< with all these we can do its!

Cindy

The Unjury samples can be found at the Unjury.com website. They cost about $20 for 2 samples of each flavor, or you can buy them individually for $1.99. I tried the chicken Soup flavor (vegetarian, surprisingly) and the chocolate so far. I really like them.

Hi everyone! just checking in to see how everyone is doing. How are the preop diets going? I have been suffering with some afternoon headaches the past couple of days. I bought unjury products and I really like them. They have this chicken Soup flavored powder that is actually pretty good!

I'm still struggling with my pre-op diet. I'm on a low-carb diet (tough because I'm veg) and I cheated a little tonight. Although, I have it soooooooo much easier than the peeps on liquid diet. So I should quit my bitching! :rolleyes:

Cindy, I need a cheer leader! We all do, dorky or not. Thanks for all of your kind words. Susan

I called the nutritionist yesterday because I was failing at night on the liquid diet.Granted, I was still eating low fat, but I NEEDED solid food. I do so great during the day, feel 100% on the diet, then by 3pm I'm done.

The funny news is, I was supposed to be on a 14 day pre op, not a 7 day...and I can have certain non starch veggies. I just bought a bunch of frozen steamables and fresh veggies and some Special K Protein Shakes. YAHOO!! Eating steamed cauliflower now and so, so happy. That liquid diet was brutal. I'm on maternity leave so I'm at home all day with my little girl...commercials about McDonalds and TGI Fridays were killing me.

I've lost a couple of pounds so far, lots of "evacuation" and dropping Water weight. I feel good. I really feel good. I got a big packet on what to do post op and then mushies. This is all so familiar, I'm actually looking FORWARD to putting roasted chicken thigh meat in a food processor for the mushy phase, lol. They even said we can have blended meatballs. YEAH!