Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just new to learning about all of the diet restrictions and such. Everything I read says to use sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free this or that. Why? Will it cause erosion of the band? Or is it because of the added calories?

I have a stockpile of jello, but it is not sugar free. We typically try to have a year's supply of food on our shelves. I would prefer to use what I have than go out and purchase new stuff. I'm just wondering if the no sugar is a calorie thing or if it can cause damage to the band. If it is because of the calories, I can cut in another area to compensate. I'm already going to purchase $50 worth of Protein shakes every month, and extra veggies that I wouldn't have normally eaten. Add to that the expense of going to and from doctor visits, therapies, etc. and I am putting somewhat of a burden on our family finances. We don't have a lot of extra money in our budget, and I have to make it work with what we have.

My favorite indulgence is a drink of chocolate milk before going to bed. Honestly I don't want to give that up. I will if I am not losing, but I'm thinking that if I use skim milk and drink a smaller amount than my normal, it should be okay. I think in every diet, you have to still get some of the things you like or you will give up and quit. Is it unreasonable to want to hold on to the chocolate milk at night? Or the sugar in my jello?

Please educate me.

Cynthia - I don't think sugar damaged the band. For me it's not about the calories in sugar. I can cut calories elsewhere but if I eat sugar on any kind of regular basis I will gain weight. A treat once in a while I think is just fine but if you eat enough if it every day I think it could hinder your weight loss. One of the more veteran banders will be posting soon with more concrete explanations and what works for them I'm sure.

sugar free whenever possible is just better for you. In some things it's just not worth the extra calories... Like popsicles, Jello, pudding, jelly.... All those calories add up so the logic is to cut them where you can and eat healthier. Most diabetic diets are all about sugar free ... Because its better for you.

Hi Cynthia,

If you are going to have regular sugar in your diet you must keep in mind that you need to track it has calories and carbs. Very important because you can easily go over in both, especially calories if you dont track.

I do not eat sugar free foods of any kind because I can't tolerate the sweetners ,it really makes me sick. However, I am religious about tracking everything I put into my mouth. It is what works for me and this is why I am pretty successful with my weight loss.

Just becareful what you consume, sugars are empty calories that can easily add up without knowing if you don't track...

You can download any weight loss tracker app to your phone, such as Lose it or my fitness pal. both are great!

Best of luck,

Because if you continue to eat sugar you will not lose weight. Sugar turns to fat period. You should not be drinking full sugary drinks after being banded. They have to go. I think losing weight is more important then drinking chocolate milk before bed. Drink a chocolate Protein Shake.< /p>

Sugar plays games with your insulin levels causing them to go up and then crash down. This only makes you want more simple carbohydrates like sugar or processed flours. Sugar has no benefit or use in a healthy diet. They are empty calories. You should spend some time with a nutritionist. Cutting back on healthy foods your body needs for a sugar fix is not a wise choice. I do allow myself two Hershey bliss' after dinner most nights. But only at night and never during the day. Otherwise I'd be going back for more. Why are you buying $50 worth of shakes? After a few weeks you will seldom ever need them?

I ate sugared Jello during my post op liquid phase, but the reason was that I was having a hard time getting enough calories down. Once I moved to pureed, I was able to switch those calories to something with more nutrition. I wouldn't plan on eating it much past then.

IMHO, with the focus on eating a limited volume of food (1 cup), people forget that if you eat a cup of sugar, you will still gain weight. I am concentrating on volume, but I am still counting calories. I need to make sure that I get the proper nutrition.

I don't do artificial sweeteners, they give me Migraines. I do use sugar in my coffee in the morning and avoid processed foods, which likely contains refined carbs (sugar). I'm a believer in moderation, so if I want a little sweet treat, I count it in my daily intake, enjoy it and move on. Your items you have on hand should be ok immediately post op while on Clear Liquids. Once you're on full liquids, I would avoid them. Your nighttime ff chocolate milk might be ok, provided you check with your doctor.

Generally, the consensus among bariatric professionals is that liquid calories shouldn't be part of our diet once we are on solid food.

Best of luck to you!

<--- gonna rub it in.. Edy's makes these really great real fruit bars 50 calories for 1, 12 grams carb/sugar ... LOLOL

(ducking)

There's an edit button ;)

Found that button :P But I really wanted to delete my duplicate post, not just edit it. ;)

I know how you feel about giving up things. I was not looking forward to giving u soda or beer, just like you with chocolate milk. And my co payments were adding up so quickly.

The good news is: giving up the drinks wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It wasn't easy but it wasn't torture. I'd wait and see on the chocolate milk. You might be so motivated post surgery it won't be an issue. Or you might be so full from drinking so much Water you won't crave it.

Also, while food seems expensive now, there are also ways it gets cheaper. Like your Protein shakes were $50, but during your liquid diet (mine was 2 weeks about 4 shakes a day) you are not spending money on food for yourself, your $50 is a good deal:)

I felt better on little sugar. Now that I'm on solids I find it easy to sneak back in. Those days I am hungrier. I don't want to be hungry, si I try to limit the sugar again.

Take little steps and it won't seem so overwhelming to give up food you are used to. Food is comfort now but you will view it as fuel to live. Good luck with your journey.

I agree. Your taste buds are really going to change. Keep in mind it is calories and calories out to lose. I like choc milk too, but don't crave it as much now. I did the choc Protein drinks for a couple months. When I went off the Protein Drinks I did try Silk Lite Choc milk and I love it. Half the calories and more Protein. It lasts in the frig forever and I just have a juice cup full when I want it!

Cut out the excess calories where you can. It will make a big difference.

The one other thing I really believe in is that you also have to be satisfied!

Sugar may destroy your body! Sugar definitely stops a person from burning the calories we eat, and it may assist in you craving additional wrong foods. You may obtain a better and healthy body by eating correctly.

Follow your doctor and dietitians rules. You paid for them!

Best wishes