Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteins to Eat?

I was a vegetarian before I got the band. Now I crave meat. Very strange. Dietitian says I need to eat more Protein. Could you all give me some examples of some good tasting high Proteins? I am eating meat now. :D PS did not eat much protein before band.

you can consume enough protiens through out the day with Legumes, brown rice, quinoa and other veggies and grains. However, if you are wanting to add healthy meats to your diet I would start with fish that way you are already consuming Omega 3 which my doc says is important to my weightloss. I cannot tolerate red meats other than ground, and thats usually ground chicken or turkey.

And don't forget about your protien shakes. I buy mine from my surgeons office, I hear good things about powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

I was a vegetarian before I got the band. Now I crave meat. Very strange. Dietitian says I need to eat more Protein. Could you all give me some examples of some good tasting high Proteins? I am eating meat now. :D PS did not eat much Protein before band.

Non-meat options:

FF cottage cheese

FF Greek yogurt (we mix in ranch dip mix, serve with raw carrots, yummy)

Dannon FF light and fit (high protein, good dessert option)

Farro

Lentils

Adzuki Beans

Meats:

boneless skinless chicken thighs

True cod (I buy at costco, portion out and freeze)

Rock Shrimp (tastes like lobster)

Turkey meat balls ( I make them with 99% lean, add olive oil, ff Greek yogurt, onion, chopped mushrooms, egg, chopped zucchini, chopped red bell peppers garlic , italian seasoning and oats) can be made into mini meat loaf in a muffin pan, frozen.

Just a few ideas...Good luck!

I am mostly a vegan with my band. I buy the morning star meats, make my own black bean casserole and black bean burgers. I also crave meat which was a sign I was very B-12 deficient. However I can not tolerate meat and I am okay with that. It just doesnt work for me. I get at least 90 grams of Protein a day being a vegan. If you crave meat then eat it but it doesnt sit well with me.

I was a vegetarian before I got the band. Now I crave meat. Very strange. Dietitian says I need to eat more Protein. Could you all give me some examples of some good tasting high Proteins? I am eating meat now. :D PS did not eat much Protein before band.

I found this list of high protein foods and thought I would post it for you.... (you can find many more other foods with protein) such as cheese, reduced fat, ricotta part skim, etc....) Your best bet is also to always read the nutritional facts so you are getting adequate Proteins for the day. If i don't reach my protein for the day I would find it in other foods or add it to my foods so that it adds up at the end of the day.

Poultry

1. chicken, light meat only

Amount: 4 ounces, cooked

Protein (g): 35.1

Fat (g): 5.1

Calories: 196

2. Turkey breast, deli, skinless

Amount: 1 ounce, sliced

Protein (g): 6

Fat (g): <2

Calories: 25

Beef

3. Sirloin top steak, broiled, lean only

Protein (g): 34.4

Fat (g): 9.1

Calories: 229

Fish

4. Salmon, fresh, Atlantic farmed, baked, broiled

Protein (g): 25

Fat (g): 14

Calories: 234

5. Trout, rainbow, fresh, farmed, baked, broiled

Protein (g): 27.5

Fat (g): 8.2

Calories: 192

6. tuna, bluefin, fresh, baked, broiled

Protein (g): 33.9

Fat (g): 7.1

Calories: 209

7. Tuna, canned, solid light in Water

Amount: 4 ounces, drained

Protein (g): 26

Fat (g): 1

Calories: 120

Dairy

8. Milk, fat free

Amount: 8 ounces

Protein (g): 8.4

Fat (g): 0.4

Calories: 86

Soy, Nuts, eggs, Beans

9. Black Beans, canned

Amount: 1/2 cup

Protein (g): 7

Fat (g): 0

Calories: 80

10. Boca Burger, Vegan

Amount: 1 patty

Protein (g): 18

Fat (g): 2.5

Calories: 130

11. Egg, hard boiled

Amount: 1 large

Protein (g): 6.2

Fat (g): 5

Calories: 74

12. Egg, white only

Amount: 1 large

Protein (g): 3.5

Fat (g): 0

Calories: 17

13. Peanut Butter, creamy

Amount: 2 tablespoons

Protein (g): 7.9

Fat (g): 16

Calories: 188

14. Soybeans, green, boiled, drained

Protein (g): 11.1

Fat (g): 5.8

Calories: 127

15. Tofu, raw, firm

Protein (g): 19.9

Fat (g): 11

Calories: 183

Great list pattygirl, I did something similar when I first got banded and printed it out and stuck it on my fridge and I add to it as I discover more high Protein foods.

For my lunch yesterday I had a pouch of mussels with a white wine and garlic sauce. I was amazed at Protein content. Less than 200 calories and just over 20g of protein. Delish

post-346582-13813141009149_thumb.jpg

For my lunch yesterday I had a pouch of mussels with a white wine and garlic sauce. I was amazed at Protein content. Less than 200 calories and just over 20g of Protein. Delish

Omg YUM!!!