Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks with Band Question

Good morning ladies....

I am new to the board and have a question regarding opening my band....I am 4 weeks pregnant and was wondering when to have my band opened up. Its pretty tight now and I can mostly only get liquids and Soups in during the early part of the day...after 1 or 2. My band usually relaxes after 5 or 6 so I eat a pretty normal dinner but there are days when its completely uncooperative and I don't get much down. I have never been able to eat much meat and have gotten most of my Protein from shakes, supplements, fish and cheeses. I am very concerned (more like freaking out) about gaining weight but there is a strong possiblity I am carrying multiples so my doctor is very concerned about my diet and protein intake.

When did everyone have their band opened and how quickly did you start gaining. I will do what my doctor asks but I am scared of the weight gain. Any helpful tips, ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!!

That is a great question.... Have you told your LB Doctor? What does he/she say? I would think that as long as you are eating and getting nutrients to the baby... you should be good. Continue to take your Vitamins . and maybe get in some extra smoothies with extra Protein. Track your intake of calories and Protein and then bring it to your OB and ask if what your eating is enough to sustain one/or more babies...

I have seen on this site, women that get preg and have the band "relaxed".... and gain a lot of weight. So be careful if you do that....

In a normal pregnancy (one baby), you should expect to gain about 25lbs or so.

Was your goal to lose weight to have a baby?

Good luck and congrats .....

My goal was to lose weight to be healthy....then have a baby. My weight was not the overriding reason we could not get pregnant. I was always told getting pregnant would be a challenge for me for other health issues and because my husband is a diabetic. I have not been to my regular OB yet because I am still under my RE's care. We did IVF and I will be released from them at 8 weeks. This is my RE's concern and I still have to contact my regular Endo and bariatric doctor. Just was hoping to get an idea of a time frame first.

Stupid question... but, what is an RE?

Not a stupid question...its a Reproductive Endocrinologist...

Hi teacher girl. It sounds too me Lyk your band may be too tight at the moment. Especially if you can only get down ssoups and liquids before 2. Be very careful though u may initially lose weight this way eventually u will start to gain weight again (this happened to me). Your band has to be in the right zone, too loose or too tight can cause major concern. Try removing a small amount to start with. You should be able to eat a healthy chicken salad and be satisfied afterwards in the right zone. I advise doing this asap as it sounds to me that you aren't in the zone. But if you do wait the 6 week mark is usually when morning sickness will begin and it's very important to be able to get some nutrients to you and your baby during this time as eating can become very difficult at this stage. Good luck and keep us informed.

P.s I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I have a sustainable amount in my band where I can still eat enough for baby and me but I don't overeat.

I am hoping to make it without removing liquid one has not been tight so hoping even with some swelling I'll still be good!

Good luck with your pregnancies ladies. We are 5 weeks :)

I'd agree with a couple posts above...it sounds like you might be a tad too tight as it is right now.

I'm 36w5d pregnant and haven't had to have an adjustment...I do have to eat a smaller amount for Breakfast, but a normal (for me) size lunch and dinner, plus a couple Snacks in there too. I've been craving milk, so I'm getting more Protein from milk throughout the day as well.

I had decided early on to not worry about weight gain and if I needed an unfill, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. It's about getting enough nutrients to your baby, BUT as far as "eat an extra 300 calories a day" philosophy...yeah, I haven't done that so much. Still eating what I was eating before, plus some extra milk...and OJ (another craving!) My baby is right on track for how far along I am...not too big or too small. And I've only gained about 15 pounds or so with about 3 weeks to go!

I've also been waking up lately at like 3am, hungry! So that's new. Ha! I'll have some milk and a piece of toast and normally that is plenty to make it to Breakfast. ;)

Good luck, mama!!

I agree with one of the other posters. It sounds like your band might be a little snug right now. Dont feel stressed or anxious if you have to get some Fluid removed. I had Fluid removed when I was 11 weeks pregnant because all of the sudden it felt like my band had a death grip on my stomach. I had gained a little more then anticipated but I got the majority of the weight off within about 4 weeks after having my son.

Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches