Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction, doc doesn't want to fill

Rojasanoll, My doc is the same way as yours. My weight loss has been fine, but it has been done the old fashion way- straight personal willpower. Not sure how else to say it. I have only even been aware of my band twice, both times when I was in a rush and took a big bite of an apple and didn't chew it well. I have never felt full from a small amount since the very first weeks when everything was swollen. It is getting old. I have had 2 fills (2 ccs each)with the pa (last one in early October), I saw the doc for the first time since surgery just last month and he said 'no fill, you're doing great'. I want some restriction! I am seeing the pa in 2 weeks, I hope she will give me one. On a side note, everyone who knows I had lap band comments on how well the band is working, I want to scream (and sometimes I do a little) "It isn't the band, it's me, working hard!"

I wrenched my back shoveling snow the other day, and went for some drugs. When I got home and looked at the size of the pills I couldn't believe it, they were as large as any pill I've seen. I started to call to see if I could cut or grind them, then said 'what the heck' and swallowed it! It went straight down, no issue. If I'm hungry a big salad helps, I love asparagas, green Beans, all kinds of food I thought would not work. I don't eat any bread or drink any carbonation- I'm happy without since I was banded, but I don't think, restriction wise, it would be an issue.

What worries me is that I have taken the weight off before, and kept it off for years only to gain it all back plus some. I know I can take it off, I just want to make sure the band will be able to help me keep it off. I feel I need some restriction now so I have the peace of mind knowing it will be there when I need it later.

Its normal for a dr not to give you a fill if you're still losing. Don't be in a hurry to get filled up. Use it when 1 you are forraging for food, are too hungry, weight loss stops not slows. Getting filled slow guarentees you will keep it off. Some people are in a hurry to get filled up but what do you have to work with if your band is completely filled.

My dr is fill stingy. At first I hated it but now I understand it. In fact because I was tracking calories and eating proper portions from the beginning i was losind and he didn't fill me for 2 months... And then it took 3 more to get to the green zone.

His rule of thumb is if your meals do not keep you satisfied for 5 hrs, you are looking for food, you are eating to much or you aren't losing you may need a fill. There were many times I was SURE I needed a fill only to leave his office empty handed and find I actually was able to survive without one for another month.... But I really believe I stuck to my plan like glue.

How do you handle the hunger? I've been eating big green salads before dinner, with no dressing or added calories. Lots of green Beans and other fillers after my Protein (usually fish). I thought, probably incorrectly, that we would lose the weight with restriction not straight willpower. I will admit this would be nicer if it was because I felt full, not because I storm around hungry a lot of the time. I guess it is nice to know it will be there in the future if I need it, but I also worry that he will say 'you did it before, just do it again', like my family doc says to me. I put on 5 pounds in the 5 days surrounding Christmas; I didn't eat that much- less than everyone around me, a fraction of what I would have eaten a year ago. It was scary, and surprising, how fast it went on. I am back to where I was through calorie restriction and a lot of gym work, but WOW! I’m concerned about how little I’ll be able to eat and still maintain when I get to goal.

Its not about feeling full anymore its about being satisfied. Enjoy being hungry because it's a feeling you probably havent felt in a lot of years. I enjoy feeling hungry. Makes me know I need to eat to live now.

I don't understand doctors that are willing to perform WLS surgery, but not do what it takes to help the band do its job. Jeez, if we could all white-knuckle it and keep the weight off WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD OPT FOR WLS?????

It's true you won't feel full, even when you reach the green zone, but you should feel satisfied on a small amount of food. If you don't feel physically satisfied on a small amount of food, or you're getting hungry every two hours or so, you NEED a fill -- that's what you got the band for!!

O agree with the above I think he to give you 1/2 cc if you are getting hungry this shouldn't be misiable that is why we all failed in the pass. I have found that just over half full works for most people.

i dont have any fills myself but i do eat as if i do.

i like knowing the band is there helping me but i made a huge mental change in my eating and thinking when i got the band..so i am letting the band help me eat less but also make myself eat only my allotted amount..i think it works...as for hungry... if i am hungry (for real and not just thinking i am) i eat...not just a quick/cheap snack.. i eat a Protein snack or drink

i realize that if i eat more cals than i burn off, i will not lose....def want power...i want this bad enough to just do what i have to do...

I can understand your frustration and the one thing that it makes me think is how strong you are! We all want fills but have to trust in our medical team that there is a reason for why and what they are doing. I see you are doing well with your eating hanging in there. Give yourself credit for how strong you have become and been able to stay on track.

Just keep making sure you get your 3-4 ounces of Protein at the beginning of your meal. Also, my NUT says if I feel hunger between meals, it is often thirst so drink something and then in 10-15 minutes if I am still hungry I have a healthy snack. She advised me to plan my Snacks ahead too so I don't graze or grab an unhealthy item in the moment of hunger. Are you having Snacks between meals?

Hang in there and congrats on staying strong, and driven and on your success thus far!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am thinking I need to go back to square one again and look at my Protein. Unless I drink Protein Shakes I can't get enough in without eating too many calories. A New Dawn--No, I am not snacking at all between meals, my dr wants me to avoid that. I think that is why I can get so hungry at times. I've often eaten dinner at 4 p.m. just because I couldn't wait any longer, then go to the gym or bed early so I'm not too tempted in the evening. I'm not starving in the a.m. so maybe it is just 'head hunger' but it sure feels real!

Thanks again for getting me to re-examine!