Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters Unite

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I have an electric throw blanket that I have been using like an oversized heating pad and I really think it has helped avoid some bad gas pains. It has been my post op BFF.

Thanks for this idea. I have one of those. Surgery is tomorrow so I may be pulling it out.

I have a heating pad and will use it. Thanks for the idea as well!

ok i have survived the pre-opt diet. tomorrow is my bday and im super pumped. anyone else scheduled for tomorrow,

Today is day 3 post surgury its been really good only really shoulder pain off thing I was thinking it would be in my shoulder blade but no in the very top of my shoulder, also had some gas not to bad, I've only takin mess for shoulder and for a small fever, but all seams to be going good otherwise, good luck. Everyone having surgery this week will be praying for you!!!

so...here come the emotional issues welling up...spoke to someone I'm very close to last night' date=' who loves me, but also has a terrible way of making me feel unworthy. I've gotten much better at letting that stuff roll off my back and even calling him on it (with the help of therapy) but it rears it's ugly head now and then, and I think because I'm feeling particularly vulnerable right now, it's more apparent. This person congratulated me on already losing some 17 lbs or so..but of course mentioned that it was surely mostly Water loss...so that's a dig right there. Then last night, same person asked how I was feeling and doing, and then had to mention they were at dinner at an Italian restaurant eating eggplant parm and it was delicious. Would you tell an alcoholic you were at a bar and downing a delicious cold beer? I would hope not. I told this person that his comments were not nice and there was no reason for saying what he did and he realized it was a cruel thing to do because he got embarrassed and tried to make a joke out of it. An apology would have been better. Anyway...just wanted to get that off my chest so I can let it go and move on. Thanks to you all for letting me vent in what feels like a safe place to do so.[/quote']

Hey thank God you have all of us to come vent to whenever you have to. I went to party yesterday n NOT to my surprise I heard another story of a bandsters who failed and had to go to the ER. I just simply told her it's not the band that failed it was the person who ate a fat plate of pancakes during her 1st week of surgery who failed. It's funny how everyone knows the horror stories n no success stories. N by the way this is the second time I hear this same story from the same person. I just let it go. I've lost 23lbs in four n half weeks

I was banded Wednesday- no real big issues since. Slight gas pain but still manageable. Running into trouble with choices of liquids to have. Jello, pudding and shakes make me gag (they did Before surg too, nothing new) :) So I have been living on Water, chicken broth, low Cal/low sugar apple and cranberry juice and sugar free hot chocolate with a scoop of Unjury powder. Not many choices, but I haven't gone crazy yet! I see some have tried cottage cheese- has anyone here tried that!? I tried a spoonful this afternoon, "chewed it" until it was liquidy then swallowed. At one week, this coming Weds- I get to start puréed diet. Very excited for that!

Tomorrow I the big day. I made it through the liquid diet. That was tough! Now and better things to come starting tomorrow!

no no no!!!!! No lumps, chunks or bumps!!!!

Tomorrow I the big day. I made it through the liquid diet. That was tough! Now and better things to come starting tomorrow!

Tomorrow is my surgery day, too. What time is your surgery? I'm scheduled for 9am and it's outpatient. Best of luck!

no no no!!!!! No lumps, chunks or bumps!!!!

My surgeon actually recommends cottage cheese (and refried Beans and yogurt and a few other things) in the stage after liquids but before mushies. He calls them "pre-select" foods, and they're easy to digest and have a good amount of Protein. We stay on "pre-selects" for three days to make sure we're tolerating them, and then we move on to all mushies. So, short version - cottage cheese isn't off limits for everyone.

Julie- I think our doctors post op diets may be similar, while I did not "see" cottage cheese in my list- within the first week we can go onto thicker things like creamy Soups before mushies start. Obviously nothing with big chunks though ;)

Hey thank God you have all of us to come vent to whenever you have to. I went to party yesterday n NOT to my surprise I heard another story of a bandsters who failed and had to go to the ER. I just simply told her it's not the band that failed it was the person who ate a fat plate of pancakes during her 1st week of surgery who failed. It's funny how everyone knows the horror stories n no success stories. N by the way this is the second time I hear this same story from the same person. I just let it go. I've lost 23lbs in four n half weeks

I bet the story is an urban myth. All that matters is success.

I was banded Wednesday- no real big issues since. Slight gas pain but still manageable. Running into trouble with choices of liquids to have. Jello, pudding and shakes make me gag (they did Before surg too, nothing new) :) So I have been living on Water, chicken broth, low Cal/low sugar apple and cranberry juice and sugar free hot chocolate with a scoop of Unjury powder. Not many choices, but I haven't gone crazy yet! I see some have tried cottage cheese- has anyone here tried that!? I tried a spoonful this afternoon, "chewed it" until it was liquidy then swallowed. At one week, this coming Weds- I get to start puréed diet. Very excited for that!

many of us seem to have had differing pre-op diets and it seems the same for post-op as well. I'm on liquids for ten days but I must say that I've had more than just the broths. I bought low fat thicker type Soups like Campbells Healthy Tomato and Amy's squash soup...even got the Thai Soup and will just avoid the mushrooms and puree the sweet potato and dump it back into the soup. I find that it fills me up better than the clear broths.

Good luck to all of you getting banded this week! My one week bandaversary will be on Tuesday! Have done really well so far!

Gowalking--- hang in there! We "got your back" on this!

I had my surgery Thursday and I have barely eaten since. I need suggestions on this liquid post op diet. I barely eat or drink anything I just can't make myself. I've lost 8 pounds since Thursday.

I went to costco there Premier protien shakes are pretty good plus they have 30 grams of protien per shake, I like them because they are not that sweet. creamy Soups for when i want salty, but to be honest im 10 days out and struggling myself but hopefully i helped. good luck.