Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2012 --- Band Buddies Unite!

my doctor never tell me how much he put in my band. but i'm assuming it is 1cc each visit. i've gotten a fill 3 times so far. only once it was a little because i was flying out of the country last month, he said that fills and flying don't mix well. after he had explained why, i understood. i wonder how do they know or we'd know when we've hit the green zone? i know i still have not had much restriction. :)

Hello all it's been a while since I've updated my progress to my fellow December band buddies. I have had a rough year already and it's only April :/ the only good thing going for me is my band and the new me! I am down 102 lbs since I started liquid diet.. I was banded dec 17th.. I feel awesome physically! I work out 5 nights a week and do cardio and wt lifting! I have amazed myself! I am so much stronger than I thought I was!!! My sister who got banded with me is doing awesome as well! I have gone down 5 pants sizes 2 bra cups and 7 inches in my bust!!! I have had 2 fills and am finally slowing down losing wt which I don't want to happen since I want to lose 100 more lbs! I will be going for another fill with more restriction in a few weeks! How is everyone else? I hope well!!! Also I have had NO vomiting and only 1 stuck episode that lasted 5 minutes and then went away.. Phew! :)

I am down to 194 lbs :) a total loss since starting the pre-op diet of 24 lbs. My band has exactly 5ml in it. I know this now because i got very sick this week and my band was so tight after my last fill i couldn't swallow Water. Even had to spit out my own saliva (gross i know)...and if some saliva trickled down my throat i would vomit it up. My stomach was sealed shut. So in an emergency situation i had to remove 0.4ml in order to swallow my liquid antibiotics. At that time i checked the amount of Fluid. It was 5.4ml. Thats the magic number that sealed my stomach closed! Lol.

I am down to 194 lbs :) a total loss since starting the pre-op diet of 24 lbs. My band has exactly 5ml in it. I know this now because i got very sick this week and my band was so tight after my last fill i couldn't swallow Water. Even had to spit out my own saliva (gross i know)...and if some saliva trickled down my throat i would vomit it up. My stomach was sealed shut. So in an emergency situation i had to remove 0.4ml in order to swallow my liquid antibiotics. At that time i checked the amount of Fluid. It was 5.4ml. Thats the magic number that sealed my stomach closed! Lol.

How are you doing now?

pre-op wt 344, current wt. 289.6

My doctor wants me to lose 4 pounds per month, and that's what's happening. I don't have any restriction yet, and have had 4 fills. I'm hoping this fill next week will put me in the green zone. My doctor told me to wait 25 seconds in between bites and to take extremely small bites. But with no restriction this is impossible for me to do..But the good news is that I do yoga 5 days a week, ride my bike for 2.5 hours every day or if not every day I walk about 6 to 8 miles a day. So the exercise is up where it needs to be, and I don't eat sugar or processed foods. I feel bad when I see the postings of people who have lost 50 to 90 pounds but then I remind myself that will be me one of these days. Thanks everyone for posting, I can't tell you how much these postings helped me the first few months. I don't have any stuck feelings, but if I eat or drink to much I get a lot of shoulder pain.

My doctor wants me to lose 4 pounds per month' date=' and that's what's happening. I don't have any restriction yet, and have had 4 fills. I'm hoping this fill next week will put me in the green zone. My doctor told me to wait 25 seconds in between bites and to take extremely small bites. But with no restriction this is impossible for me to do..But the good news is that I do yoga 5 days a week, ride my bike for 2.5 hours every day or if not every day I walk about 6 to 8 miles a day. So the exercise is up where it needs to be, and I don't eat sugar or processed foods. I feel bad when I see the postings of people who have lost 50 to 90 pounds but then I remind myself that will be me one of these days. Thanks everyone for posting, I can't tell you how much these postings helped me the first few months. I don't have any stuck feelings, but if I eat or drink to much I get a lot of shoulder pain.[/quote']

Don't worry about what others are doing and where they are at in their journey. Your focus is you!! Look to them as motivation to get to where you want to be. Some have more to lose than others so it will be hard for everyone but the ultimate goal is the same. I started at almost 400 lbs and some started at almost 250 lbs so the weight loss will vary for some. Watch the amount you're eating and Keep your focus and you will be fine!!

pre-op wt 344, current wt. 281.6

I had my 4th fill saturday and had my first stuck episode today. I even spit up, a first for me. I think this may be it. I feel restriction like I never have before. Maybe this is the green zone I hope so.

After the initial weight loss which can be a lot for some, loosing 1-2 lbs per week is a good average.

For most it seems if they want to lose more they have to exercise more and not eat back their exercise calories.

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted but I'm still hanging in there. It's been difficult because my activity has been very restricted since I have plantar fasciitis and what was thought to be tendonitis (turns out to be a tear) so I was told no walking and no treadmill. I tried Water fitness classes but had to stop after the third class because it was making my foot/ankle injury worse. I was going to start swimming and get an Air bike, but then after 8 weeks of physical therapy it was determined that rather than tendonitis I have a tear so I'm now scheduled for surgery on June 12.

Along the way I had a couple of fills and have been uncomfortable for a couple of months ever since I went over 4cc's, experiencing soreness and discomfort and a few stuck episodes. I had to have Fluid removed from my band in preparation for my upcoming surgery so I'm hoping that my band is just irritated and with some fluid removed things will settle down and I will be able to get a little more fluid added once I'm up and around. It's going to be awhile before I'm able to exercise again,so I'm trying to stay postive and looking forward to when I get the okay to start again. Not looking forward to surgery since if everything goes well, I'll have 2 weeks in a splint (no weight bearing, have to use a walker), then 2-3 weeks in a cast, followed with another 2-3 weeks in a walking boot and I'm sure there will be more physical therapy. If all goes well I should have a complete recovery in 4-6 months. I pushed my surgery back a week trying to get a bunch of stuff done beforehand, but my ankle/foot doesn't want to cooperate with my plans.

I was so happy to be taken off BP meds (found a new and better cardiologist), but that was short lived since I will probably have to resume medication since my echocardiogram did not come back clean (I have an extensive family history of cardiomyopathy - no immediate family members left), but that's just how it goes. I was getting discouraged because I felt like I should have lost more weight than I have, but despite my exercise limitations and still trying to get my band adjusted to the right amount, I have managed to lose 50 lbs! :D

Hello all it's been a while since I've updated my progress to my fellow December band buddies. I have had a rough year already and it's only April :/ the only good thing going for me is my band and the new me! I am down 102 lbs since I started liquid diet.. I was banded dec 17th.. I feel awesome physically! I work out 5 nights a week and do cardio and wt lifting! I have amazed myself! I am so much stronger than I thought I was!!! My sister who got banded with me is doing awesome as well! I have gone down 5 pants sizes 2 bra cups and 7 inches in my bust!!! I have had 2 fills and am finally slowing down losing wt which I don't want to happen since I want to lose 100 more lbs! I will be going for another fill with more restriction in a few weeks! How is everyone else? I hope well!!! Also I have had NO vomiting and only 1 stuck episode that lasted 5 minutes and then went away.. Phew! :)

Wait a minute! You were banded this past December and you've lost 102 lbs! Wow! I was banded 12/31 and I've only lost 50 lbs! Granted my exercise has been very limited but how did you do that? Maybe I need some pointers?!

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted but I'm still hanging in there. It's been difficult because my activity has been very restricted since I have plantar fasciitis and what was thought to be tendonitis (turns out to be a tear) so I was told no walking and no treadmill. I tried Water fitness classes but had to stop after the third class because it was making my foot/ankle injury worse. I was going to start swimming and get an Air bike' date=' but then after 8 weeks of physical therapy it was determined that rather than tendonitis I have a tear so I'm now scheduled for surgery on June 12.

Along the way I had a couple of fills and have been uncomfortable for a couple of months ever since I went over 4cc's, experiencing soreness and discomfort and a few stuck episodes. I had to have Fluid removed from my band in preparation for my upcoming surgery so I'm hoping that my band is just irritated and with some fluid removed things will settle down and I will be able to get a little more fluid added once I'm up and around. It's going to be awhile before I'm able to exercise again,so I'm trying to stay postive and looking forward to when I get the okay to start again. Not looking forward to surgery since if everything goes well, I'll have 2 weeks in a splint (no weight bearing, have to use a walker), then 2-3 weeks in a cast, followed with another 2-3 weeks in a walking boot and I'm sure there will be more physical therapy. If all goes well I should have a complete recovery in 4-6 months. I pushed my surgery back a week trying to get a bunch of stuff done beforehand, but my ankle/foot doesn't want to cooperate with my plans.

I was so happy to be taken off BP meds (found a new and better cardiologist), but that was short lived since I will probably have to resume medication since my echocardiogram did not come back clean (I have an extensive family history of cardiomyopathy - no immediate family members left), but that's just how it goes. I was getting discouraged because I felt like I should have lost more weight than I have, but despite my exercise limitations and still trying to get my band adjusted to the right amount, I have managed to lose 50 lbs! :D [/quote']

That is awesome. I was banded on 12/18/12 I have lost 83 pounds I only have about 30 pounds to go I have only had one fill not to sure if I need another one. I have also slowed down on my weight loss. Don't get to the gym as much but my work is very physical so it helps out a lot

83 lbs! Wow! That's great! Feeling a bit discouraged - I've always been a slow loser. However I'm better than I was before surgery. Before the band I was in a place that no matter what I did, I would either keep gaining or had to fight just to maintain. Sigh....

Hello everyone! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I have stalled at about 60 pounds lost and I go see my surgeon tomorrow for my third fill (currently 3cc in 10cc band). Right now I am still able to eat a lot more than I am supposed to and I get hungry quick. I know it is easy to get discouraged when you see others posting high numbers, I am in that same boat. I try to keep in mind that this is a marathon- not a sprint. We are all going to make our goals reality with a little time. I gave away some clothes that were entirely too big now and thy gave me a boost of hope. I try to find little things to get excited about diluting this process. I know some people may not agree with this but throughout this entire process I have discovered the true meaning of moderation. I don't deprive myself. I still have a little piece of this or that but I know my limits. My fitness pal has been my best bud. It's an eye opener to see the calorie count on things I used to eat and eat as eat. I am making better choices and so is my family. My husband has lost almost 35 during my journey and he is still losing. I just wanted to let you guys know what was going on with me. Happy Losing!

naturallyjai: you shouldn't think of it as being stalled - you've lost 60 pounds! i've lost almost 58 pounds (i was banded on dec 19). you are doing amazing with only 3 ccs in your band! i have the same approach as you - everything in moderation. i refuse to be on a diet - i am eating the same today as i plan to eat after i reach my goal. there are no foods that are off limits, i just make sure that my portions are appropriate. good luck on your journey :)