Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is allowed in the pre op liquid diet

My surgery is dec 28th and I'm just wondering how to start this pre op liquid diet! Any tips???

Thank youu :)

Did your Surgeon not give you any instructions? Everybody's Dr does things differently. I didn't even have to do a pre-op. Some are just Protein Shakes, calorie counting & Atkins.< /p>

They did just that it wasn't very specific and I know that I am gonna have a hard time on a liquid diet :(

They're a lot of ppl here doing the liquid diet so someone will jump into help you. Like I said, I didn't have to.

HI there,

I am on day 10 of my 14 day Opti fast liquid diet (my op next tuesday). I am allowed the Opti fast shakes (nothing else because they are the only ones apparently that are a complete Meal Replacement with all Vitamins and minerals) plus tea or coffee with skim milk in moderation. In addition if i get desperate i am allowed low fat yoghurt or salad with no dressing (ie only vegetables). I have survived - though cant say i love it!. Day 1-4 worst - hungry, tired and cranky. Stick with it day 5 seemed to settle down. I hate the taste of the shakes so i put a lot of ice in it and make it so cold that it has no flavour. Tried the Soups and nearly puked - did not persist with them.

Try and keep busy and then you wont think about it. had a bit of a panic attack 2 nights ago about how close the surgery was and i wanted to eat everything in the house - realised that this is precisely the type of eating i was trying to address with the band and had a cup of tea instead. did not resolve the panic but it helped to think that i was starting to change my ways.

The best advice i can give is cross the days off a calendar and know that you are suffering for a good cause!.

Good luck with the diet and the op. In the end i know it will be worth it!.

ok, here is what I had to do: 2 weeks of Protein Shakes, the ones I found that I could tolerate were GNC's brand Lean shake Swiss Choc. If you have one near you they will most likely let you taste one before you buy. I also bought Isopure in grape for a clear Protein Drink, it had an after taste but I tolerated it. I did this 3 times a day. Make sure you have Protein shakes packed with protein so you don't get hungry. In between meals I was allowed sugar free Jello, sf popsicles, broth, oh and I ate that broth like it was my last meal let me tell ya. The first 3 days were pure hell, excuse my language, but it was. Your body is detoxing from sugar and carbs and all the fatty foods its used to eating. I got dizzy, headache, almost passed out, thought I was going to die, litterally, but I did it. And if I can do it anyone can, believe me! After about the 4 day it gets easier. I would sit down with my mom at the dinner table with my cup or bowl of broth and have that as she ate and knew that in the long run I was doing this for my health and well being and this was short lived. And before you know it day 14 came and I headed to the hospital that morning and boy was I a ready camper. To this day I still keep the GNC protein shakes around for something quick or after a fill. I'm 6 months post op and a week and half post op with gallbladder. You can do it. The purpose of doing it is to shrink the fat around your liver so that your surgeon can work around in there easily.

They did just that it wasn't very specific and I know that I am gonna have a hard time on a liquid diet :(

i would call the dr and ask for (specifics) and as maddy said, each of us have different needs etc...so its best to make sure you are following your dr's instructions to the letter. make the call today.

why are you already thinking ( you are gonna have a hard time? )..yes it is not easy but it has to be done. i had to do a 2 1/2 week all liquid before and 2 weeks liquid after....at over 300+ pounds i really thought i would starve to death and just die a horrible death. nope, i didnt. sure i was hungry but i also ((wanted)) to lose weight and get healthy that i just did it. ...the first days are hard. yes mam they are. but it does get easier.

you must have a positive attitude.

my hub told me when i was whining on my pre op diet, you wanted this

so do what you have to do to make this work.

you can do it. so please call your doctor, ask them what specifics you are to follow diet wise and then do it. you can do this. let yourself bee positive.

bee well.

My doctor was not specific either so I drank lots of Water (I do anyway), Protein Drinks (I LOVE Unjury, Melaleuca, and the Adkins brands), had beef and chicken low sodium broth, and even had black coffee with some chocolate Protein in it. I was not hungry until the day before when I wanted to stress eat. I just got myself in the frame of mind that it was easy and I could do it. SO WILL YOU!!!

Uhhh... liquids maybe that why it is called a liquid diet. The pre-diet is for surgery prep and the post-diet is for healing. Why have the surgery if you can't do a liquid diet for a few weeks. It is really ot that tough!

I agree with the others. The first few days is definitely the hardest. You should definitely call your surgeon/nutritionist though because from what I've seen on here, there are very few surgeons whose diets are the same. Mine is liquid diet.....6 Bariatric Advantage shakes a day plus Water, sugar free Jello, low sodium broths, sugar free popsicles, or sugar free flavored drinks. Nothing can be over 10 calories besides the shakes and I can only have 160 additional calories on top of the shakes. Mine is 14 days and today is day 7. Like the others said, days 1-4 are pretty lousy. The good news is you kind of get a second wind after your body goes through ketosis and then it is better. I was really spacy the first few days too. Kept calling my son the dog's name, that kind of thing! HA! Good luck!

Thanks everyone!!!! I will double check with my dr ;)

my lifesaver was low sodium chicken broth! it filled me up and is so low in calories!!