Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MD Newbie with May 15th LB date looming

Hello,

I'm BeeJay from southern Md.

I am just waiting for my May 15th surgery date with Dr. Brody.

I would love any advice you have to give, and any info you can tell me about the after surgery that you don't read about and the Dr's. don't tell you.

:scared:

How long was your hosp. stay?

I was denied coverage by my insurance, Aetna. I decided to just pay for it myself.:( My health is worth it I think.

Nice to meet you all!

:welcome2: :welcomeB: :welcome2:

Welcome to LBT BeeJay!! You have come to the right place for support.

**I stayed in the hospital just overnight. and only because I was the first Lap-Band done at that hospital. Not my surgeons first but the hospitals first. I think now they are sent home that afternoon if they have a morning surgery. ??

Again Welcome and if you have any ?'s just let us know and we will try and help you!:scared:

Hi Beejay and welcome to LBT. Read this site as much as you can. There is great information here along with some pretty awesome people. You will have tons of questions and can find answers, opionons and experiences here! Use it for all it is worth!

I was banded on 3/3/06. I was scheduled for 10:00am. I was home at 2:00pm that afternoon. I did have a lot of gas pains, but chewed gasx and mylanta. I didn't sleep much the first night but finally passed out on saturday. I returned to work on Monday. ( i have a desk job). Played softball two weeks out and had my first fill today!

Congratulations on your new journey. We are all happy for you!

Congratulations and Welcome Aboard

I stayed in the hopsital overnight. :notagree

You are in the right room because you have a couple of Dr. Brody's patients here. LOL What are you stats ie weight?

Welcome BeeJay. I also hail from Southern MD. I went to GW to have my surgery and was in for just overnite. Good luck to you and let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I appreciate it.:)

Teresa, I will post my weight tomorrow. :( I need to get on the scale in the morning.

Karen, in at 10 and out by 2:00? Wow. In my case, I hope I don't need to stay any longer than I have to since I have to pay for it all myself.:scared:

Gunn, since you are in Southern Md, maybe we can hook up sometime in May, before the surgery. By then, you all should know me pretty well because I will have questioned you to death, lol.

Let me share something with ya...I have not told any of my friends that I am doing this. Ok, initially when I was trying to get my insurance to cover it, I did tell one friend, but then it was denied. She doesn't know that I am still going through with it. I know I will tell her before I do it. For some reason, I just don't want a lot of questions and doubters and all that jazz. I just want support.

Hi Beejay,

I had my surgery on 3/30/06 and went into the OR at 4:30 PM, was in the recovery room at 6:10 PM, got to my room at 8 PM and was up walking at 4 AM. I had a visual esophagram the morning after surgery to determine that the band and was OK and was home by 11 AM. Like you, I chose not to tell too many people about the surgery... just 2 close friends.

:welcomeB:

I too am not banded but soon to be. My package is at the ins. com and hope to hear an approval any day. My surgeon wants an overnight less then 24 hour stay and I will be at St Agnes in Baltimore. Most Doctors are doing this surgery in about an hour and on an out patient basis. BTW we have a support group that meets once as month and usually on the 3rd Sunday. Keep your eye on this web site for details we would love for you to come.

Thanks Barbara. I'll be sure to look for the meeting info.

Good Luck with your insurance. I just got the billing info for my self-pay yesterday. It's costly!:Banane04:

I too am in Southern Maryland. I have not started any of the necessary paperwork or located a surgeon yet, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!:eekB:

Good morning, I too am in southern Maryland. I have not found a surgeon or started the necessary paperwork yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!:eekB: :)

Hi NoChoice,

Check with George Washington Univ. I am going with Dr. Fred Brody.

Hello,

Well, today marks my two week pre-surgery period. I started the Optifast this morning.

Did anyone else have to do Optifast before surgery? It's to help lose fat around the liver before surgery so that it's easier to get to the stomach and get the band on.

OptiFast is ALL liquids (4 shakes a day) with 2 nutritional bars and broth for lunch and dinner. :faint: