Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Honest Truth....

Not gonna bash but I have absolutely nothing to help me through this except you guys and this forum!! I refused to see the nutritionist because of the $500 that my insurance won't pay so I went to the Air Force Base NUT and ism his 1st WLS patient!! I use MFP and watch my friends journals. I had surgery on 30 Oct weighing in at 224. I had no pre-op diet, 3 weeks of liquids after, 1 week of mushy's and now I'm on my own!! This morning I weighed 207. I'm certainly not complaining but doe ays I feel lost while staring in the fridge cause I'm hungry!! Thank you all for your support!!!

Barb :)

I understand. I have a friend who also received no after care. I would say maybe look to the people here who have had long term success and find out what they are doing.

Most eat a cup each meal but everyone can be different. Can you call your doctors office and find out what they suggest? What about fills in the future? You sure have a lot to think about.

Not gonna bash but I have absolutely nothing to help me through this except you guys and this forum!! I refused to see the nutritionist because of the 500 that my insurance won't pay so I went to the Air Force Base NUT and ism his 1st WLS patient!! I use MFP and watch my friends journals. I had surgery on 30 Oct weighing in at 224. I had no pre-op diet' date=' 3 weeks of liquids after, 1 week of mushy's and now I'm on my own!! This morning I weighed 207. I'm certainly not complaining but doe ays I feel lost while staring in the fridge cause I'm hungry!! Thank you all for your support!!!

Barb :)[/quote']

Barb, i eat 1200 cal a day, I focus on Protein first, then veggies, then carbs. I use MFP (user ajtexas0) friend me and you can see my diary. Also, feel free to PM me if you need. I would love to help you. You can do this!

Are you getting fills? Might look into another doctor for your aftercare.

Take care.

AJ

I have decided either one of two things is happening- either doctors are just pumping out patients without actually giving them the necessary knowledge and direction for success, or people are foolishly ignoring the information given to them.

I have an amazing surgeon. Honestly, I'm so blessed because he's truly my biggest cheerleader on this journey. He takes such good care of me and truly wants to see me succeed. I also have a great nutritionist who taught me so much and helped me establish realistic food guidelines for my life. In fact, the entire staff at the bariatric center are great. I know the nurses so well we talk about our children and personal lives like old friends and they are so supportive for me and excited for every pound I lose.

I see a definite pattern here: Look at the comments here. Those who've had good ongoing support from their surgeons and staff seem to do well overall. Those that don't have the support struggle. I see this a lot especially in the case of patients banded in Mexico because they're pretty much banded and sent on their way with little to no direction, even the aftercare is left to another surgeon entirely.

Regardless of whether you have good support and direction from your surgeon, the responsibility to educate yourself is still 100% in the hands of the patient. Just my opinion.

met my doc for the first time in the OR (I was already under sedation). Saw him doc at 6 wks. He said, "looks good. see you in a year."

off site PA does fills. Nutritionist is worthless.

I'm using other sources of information for my journey, including my eating disorder therapist.

This sort of treatment should be reported to someone.. Might you be able to find another band dr who might take you and give you the support you need?

Not gonna bash but I have absolutely nothing to help me through this except you guys and this forum!! I refused to see the nutritionist because of the 500 that my insurance won't pay so I went to the Air Force Base NUT and ism his 1st WLS patient!! I use MFP and watch my friends journals. I had surgery on 30 Oct weighing in at 224. I had no pre-op diet' date=' 3 weeks of liquids after, 1 week of mushy's and now I'm on my own!! This morning I weighed 207. I'm certainly not complaining but doe ays I feel lost while staring in the fridge cause I'm hungry!! Thank you all for your support!!!

Barb :)[/quote']

I really can't say anything positive or supportive but this, hope you are successful!

Really, I chose him because he doesn't require a lot of follow up, which my job would have precluded anyway. I did expect more from the nutritionist, but maybe she doesn't have a lot of experience. I've devoured books on the subject and know the guidelines. I also have a pretty realistic expectation that I will have to figure out exactly what works for me, i.e. 1000 calories or 1200 calories, eat when I wake up or wait until 10 a.m., exercise like a mad woman or try to keep my life livable....working on these things....

Between the research I've done and my therapy, I feel pretty well equipped. Trying to straighten my head out is the toughest part (eating disorder).

It's an exciting process and, like everything else in life, has its ups and downs. Again, I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks for the advice and support!

My doctor is Dr Edward Pucci in Ridgewood NJ. He has another offline in Oradell and in NY. Love him and his staff are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I only saw my surgeon once before my surgery. My mother to this day questions if she was even in my surgery. When I go for follow ups I see a PA. I have to say the PAs have been a huge support. I feel like this site has kept me motivated though.

I do wonder what some of the doctors out there have done to help their patients. It is sad that they are left to fend for them selves. I felt blessed with my doctors office. My surgeon gave me his cell phone number the day of surgery just in case I needed him.

The first three to four months there are alot of questions and concerns that need to be covered. And as good as this forum is, some of those concerns need to be addressed by a doctor...

Great topic!!

From the beginning of this whole process, my bariatric center was great. Informative and supportive. I expected my approval to take almost 6 months, so when I was approved at three months, I was excited yet scared to death. It was a whirlwind from there. I met my surgeon once for a half a minute before surgery. He was nice, good looking lol but that's all I had to go on. I didn't even see my surgeon while I was being sedated on the operating table. He then stopped by at 8pm after 8 hours of pain to tell me I could stay overnight. He didn't tell me until the next morning that he repaired a hernia and that's what was causing my extreme nausea. Then he said I could go home. I begged 4 different nurses that day to provide me with a post op diet. Never did get an adequate one. Nothing with calories/protein amounts or suggestions. Went home and figured it out by researching online and with the help of LBT My post op was like I was a # on a conveyor belt. I asked questions but was rushed as if everyone wanted to go home. My dr. suggested ground turkey when I said I was having a hard time getting anything in me. Mind you, I was one week post op! I was supposed to be on liquids! Needless to say, my surgeon is not horrible, I just feel like he's taken on too many patients to give us the attention we need. He is the only surgeon at the bariatric center and also performs non-bariatric surgeries as well. Too much in my opinion. I also now only visit his office and never go to the bariatric center again which is a bummer. I feel like the only support I had was there. Now I'm in an office full of all walks of life. From Botox to hip replacements. :( I can certainly figure it out on my own but feeling important to your Dr. Should be his priority. We will see what happens from here...my first fill is in 2 weeks. I will certainly be more vocal at my next appointment. I joined Lbt for support and comraderie. It's here that I get my most useful information. Sometimes people don't think before they comment and come off rude and crude, but for the most part there are people that genuinely want to have your back. I wish I could say I have the most fabulous support system from my family to my surgeon but I don't, that's why I'm here!

From the beginning of this whole process' date=' my bariatric center was great. Informative and supportive. I expected my approval to take almost 6 months, so when I was approved at three months, I was excited yet scared to death. It was a whirlwind from there. I met my surgeon once for a half a minute before surgery. He was nice, good looking lol but that's all I had to go on. I didn't even see my surgeon while I was being sedated on the operating table. He then stopped by at 8pm after 8 hours of pain to tell me I could stay overnight. He didn't tell me until the next morning that he repaired a hernia and that's what was causing my extreme nausea. Then he said I could go home. I begged 4 different nurses that day to provide me with a post op diet. Never did get an adequate one. Nothing with calories/protein amounts or suggestions. Went home and figured it out by researching online and with the help of LBT My post op was like I was a # on a conveyor belt. I asked questions but was rushed as if everyone wanted to go home. My dr. suggested ground turkey when I said I was having a hard time getting anything in me. Mind you, I was one week post op! I was supposed to be on liquids! Needless to say, my surgeon is not horrible, I just feel like he's taken on too many patients to give us the attention we need. He is the only surgeon at the bariatric center and also performs non-bariatric surgeries as well. Too much in my opinion. I also now only visit his office and never go to the bariatric center again which is a bummer. I feel like the only support I had was there. Now I'm in an office full of all walks of life. From Botox to hip replacements. :( I can certainly figure it out on my own but feeling important to your Dr. Should be his priority. We will see what happens from here...my first fill is in 2 weeks. I will certainly be more vocal at my next appointment. I joined Lbt for support and comraderie. It's here that I get my most useful information. Sometimes people don't think before they comment and come off rude and crude, but for the most part there are people that genuinely want to have your back. I wish I could say I have the most fabulous support system from my family to my surgeon but I don't, that's why I'm here![/quote']

WOW! I can't believe that you are going through this! How irresponsible of your surgeon. Most of us know WAY AHEAD OF TIME what our diet phases are and must attend mandatory nutrition class. Or at least a nut that lays it out for you.

I'd write down every q I had ahead of time and wouldn't let the dr out of my sight until I was satisfied!

I'm just starting out on the process. It's been three weeks since I decided to have the surgery and I'm scheduled for 12/17. The bariatric center has been amazing in helping me get what I need done. The nutritionist was great and gave me her cell phone number for questions. I've met my surgeon twice and both times he's answered every question I had. I have a CMET scheduled for today and then I start the pre-op diet Monday.

WOW! I can't believe that you are going through this! How irresponsible of your surgeon. Most of us know WAY AHEAD OF TIME what our diet phases are and must attend mandatory nutrition class. Or at least a nut that lays it out for you.

I'd write down every q I had ahead of time and wouldn't let the dr out of my sight until I was satisfied!

I did get quite a bit of information ahead of time and also met with the nutritionist as well as a behavorial eating and nutrition class. My problem is, it was a lot of talk, not a lot of take home material. I took alot of notes, but honestly, I'm a small business owner and I'm consumed by notes and stress, therefore I'm sure they got pushed aside, or I was quick writing and they didn't end up making much sense. By the time surgery came, I had forgot a lot of what we discussed. No to mention, our groups were not specifically toward one surgery or another, so alot of my information was jumbled between sleeve, roux en y etc. I wish it was more band specific. I was the only bandster, so I felt a little left out. I was confused at times and so excited for surgery, I was a little blindsided by what I needed to do. I should have certainly taken much more time to become educated about the whole process,not just leading up to, but aftercare. I definitely strongly encourage those in the beginning stages to take all the notes you can, read all you can, ask every question imaginable, whether you think it's stupid or not. I'm a little on the shy side in front of groups and if I had one thing negative to say, is that I wish it were a little more one on one rather than in groups like high school. I had things I wanted to ask, but wouldn't in front of other people. Alot of regrets and now I'm making up for it, but I'm doing well, but live and learn :)

I did get quite a bit of information ahead of time and also met with the nutritionist as well as a behavorial eating and nutrition class. My problem is' date=' it was a lot of talk, not a lot of take home material. I took alot of notes, but honestly, I'm a small business owner and I'm consumed by notes and stress, therefore I'm sure they got pushed aside, or I was quick writing and they didn't end up making much sense. By the time surgery came, I had forgot a lot of what we discussed. No to mention, our groups were not specifically toward one surgery or another, so alot of my information was jumbled between sleeve, roux en y etc. I wish it was more band specific. I was the only bandster, so I felt a little left out. I was confused at times and so excited for surgery, I was a little blindsided by what I needed to do. I should have certainly taken much more time to become educated about the whole process,not just leading up to, but aftercare. I definitely strongly encourage those in the beginning stages to take all the notes you can, read all you can, ask every question imaginable, whether you think it's stupid or not. I'm a little on the shy side in front of groups and if I had one thing negative to say, is that I wish it were a little more one on one rather than in groups like high school. I had things I wanted to ask, but wouldn't in front of other people. Alot of regrets and now I'm making up for it, but I'm doing well, but live and learn :)[/quote']

Oh ok, well that is totally different from " begging the nurses" for info that you stated in the first post. With this information I still would not have researched the Internet but called my surgeons office OR nut class to have it repeated. Anyway, hope you have it all figured out now.

Best regards!