Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Honest Truth....

Having been around this site for the past couple of years it has proven to be a great source of motivation for me as I have learned to live with my band. As with many public forums it is comprised with many different personalities and people from all walks of life. But we all have one thing in common... we are fat people wanting to be thin and have found a tool which will help us achieve this goal.

This forum was a great support for me but I never needed it to lose weight. My Dr told me how to do that and I drew from my own motivation the willpower to make it happen.

Some of us are seeking info or just starting out, others are well on their way and many have been successful and want to give back to the band community they way someone gave to them at one time. I fall into the latter catagory. Although I am a pound from my original goal and 11 from my "stretch" goal I am pretty much done with the journey and am now just living my life as a thin person.

But I am still here for several reasons... I enjoy seeing all the excitement and energy of new bandsters. I have been successful and I want to help others make this work for them as I have done...even tho I am not one to coddle or spoon feed.... :unsure: Additionally I too still have questions about different things and its a great place get honest answers.

But here is where my concern lies... It seems recently I have seen people struggling with all sorts of topics from pre op cheating, eating solids too soon after surgery or being in need of a fill and embarrassed to go to the Dr because they are up a lb or 2..

So it makes me wonder.... are some of the Doctors out there just sub par? Seriously.... while I used this forum alot... I leaned on my Dr for most of my information and instruction. He is wonderful. His staff is effective but of course I was ultimatly responsible for making it happen. Are most Drs like this or are they just there to give you the band and send you on your way? Or on the other hand is it that people think this is some miracle cure and you will be successful with little or no effort? Then when its doesnt work or they struggle the blame gets placed back on the Dr?

I was just curious to hear your take....

hmmm...my doctor is really down-to-earth and honest with me about my responsibility to making this work. He is not strict, but is happy to give guidelines. At least 3 of his staff are also banded and I find them to be even more helpful than he is when I have questions about actually working with the band...after all, he is not banded and hasn't actually lived it! I have sometimes wondered if it is the doctors people are going to, or if people don't like what they hear... Good topic!

I also rely heavily on my doctor and staff. Not only are they my source for questions, but several staff have bands and they hold a monthly support group meeting. Having a doctor that guides you through the process it vital to me. I can't imagine doing this without them.

My staff is just like aj's. Most of staff has had Gastric bypass or LB.

I'd like to give The Bariatric Center of Sarasota Memorial Hospital a shout out!

They want their patients to succeed and my Dr who I love &adore does not coddle.

I wonder about some banders too. Is it get the band and you're on your own?

I hope ppl come on here and honestly tell us.

Great post Floridays!

I have only seen my surgeon once since I started the process of being banded. I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. The time I saw him was for my consultation. He was very kind and informative. Since then I have seen his staff on all my other visits to his office. I've seen his nutritionist twice and his NP twice. I also saw his psychiatrist once for my psych consult. His NP said he will do my first fill and then she does the rest unless its an emergency. His staff is awesome. They are so supportive and friendly. So far I'm happy with his practice. To be honest though, I have a PPO for my insurance. There are 2 bariatric surgeons in my area but the other is out of network so I didn't have a choice of surgeons to choose from. I'm not sure if I would have chosen differently if I did have a choice. I would have had a consultation with the other if I could have but that was not an option for me. Either way I am going to be successful. The band is a tool and I've done a lot of research to learn how to use it. It seems to me that people who are successful with the band are the ones who follow the rules and the ones who fail are the ones who don't follow the rules and don't follow up with their doctor. My doctors staff has provided me with all the information I need to be a success and I plan to follow their rules and keep up with my follow up appointments.

I go to an excellent Bariatric Center who have 4 Bariatric Surgeons, 2 NUTs on staff, 2 offices in NJ and about a dozen staff workers. None of the surgeons or staff workers have had weight loss surgeries. The surgeons are hands on and get very involved once they have worked on you. They are experienced in their work, even not knowing what an individuall goes through personally, only by what they document per patient.

I feel if you are honest with your surgeon, he/she will be honest with you as well. Now I have seen all 4 surgeons and everyone has different personalities. Some are more strict than others (I won't mention names), LOL However, I personally like to see the surgeons who actually performed on me and if I don't I know I am in very very good caring hands.

I personally have nothing but good experiences when I visit. The staff is super friendly. The surgeons are attentive and caring and I like they take personal time with you, its not a bum rush office visit. They really want to know everything! Everytime I go I have to fill out an entire sheet of paper of what I eat and how long do I feel satisfied on a meal, how many hours, etc..

They have a reputation to live up to as they strive to be the best Bariatric Center in NJ.....

I have a wonderful Dr and Nut....

I have seen my Dr once every 4 to 6 weeks....

and my nut I was seeing every month and now back to every 2 months..but I do see her at monthly support groups....and I know I can call either any time I need to....They are both always easy to talk to and always honest....I never feel rushed out of either office....

Doesnt hurt my Dr is soooo cute !!!!

Good topic. I am only at the beginning of my journey but I believe my Doctor and his staff will be there for me for whatever I need. I came to this site to find info on what it's really like to be banded and to make friends that will support me through my journey.

Congratulations on your success Floridays! You are truely an inspiration.

I can't say enough good things about my doctor and his staff! I never once felt like they were in this for the money; they are in it for me and to Celebrate my successes and to help and be supportive when I'm not so successful! I would have never gone on this journey with a doctor I didn't have 100% confidence in!!

Some of the things I've read on this forum that others say about their doctors just blows my mind -- and they pay good money to be abused (figuratively) by these jerks!!!

Sadly, I'm going to be moving out of state soon and have to find a new bariatric surgeon in the Jacksonville/Wilmington NC area. Anybody got any good recommendations??

Good topic. I am only at the beginning of my journey but I believe my Doctor and his staff will be there for me for whatever I need. I came to this site to fight info on what it's really like to be banded and to make friends that will support me through my journey.

Congratulations on your success Floridays! You are truely an inspiration.

Thanks very much. I believe my Dr's support was a big part in my success. I am glad you have one you have confidence in.

Interesting.... we havent heard from any Dr bashers yet....

I have noticed several people not even knowing how much they are supposed to eat. Don't doctors give out aftercare instructions and don't people research this process?

My Dr is in Pt Charlotte Fl and he has gone through several transitions with NP he helped with the Nut and Psyc. But through the 4 years he has always been at my beck and call and has several times scolded me fo an unfill.or going it alone when he felt I should have called.

I relied on his staff through the whole process and they were always there even once meeting me on a Sat in a gas station bathroom on their way to Disney to take some Fluid out for me. Now who can be better then that. I Love them...

I to have concerns with some of the post. And I am not sure if people are just not listening or the Drs. are at fault. I did not have this site for my weight loss and so I am not sure what my questions would have been. I know what worked for me and it was complete compliance and determination on my part. I think some folks think this band is going to do all the work and I believe it does on stomach hunger but that head / mouth hunger is on them and they have to do the work mentally on that, the band just lets you not need to eat huge amounts physically . And sometimes I think they just need to hear that no one can do it for them they have to get it to succeed.

:) :)

:) :)

This site is very helpful

met my doc for the first time in the OR (I was already under sedation). Saw him doc at 6 wks. He said, "looks good. see you in a year."

off site PA does fills. Nutritionist is worthless.

I'm using other sources of information for my journey, including my eating disorder therapist.