Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Could Only Give One Piece Of Advice To A New Bandit What Would It Be?

Thanks for all the advice! I have my NUT and first fill appointment booked for December. The reminder that this is a tool and it comes down to me to make the right choices is a good one. I think I may need something to remind me of that on my keys or something....

FLORIDAYS - I am going to start tracking at mushies stage on myfitnesspal. Think it will help me....I admire your attitude.

Everyone here gives GREAT advice.. I only wanted to chime in because I really like the way you abbreviated your NUT, seriously I do :)

See Missy' date=' I just don't get that much info from my nutritionist. She's very young, just out of college, just started working for my surgeon and sometimes she says one thing and my surgeon says another so I'm at a loss of what I'm suppose to do most of the time. I'm 5 1/2 mos post op and only have lost 45 lbs, I know that is good but it could be better. I do not exercise but you know that, don't feel up to it yet, can't find my mojo, no energy. Hmph![/quote']

Donna, the nutritionist I saw for my " evaluation" was terrible. The one I saw for the manditory preop class was awesome. He is on staff at the hospital and also holds the support groups AND the service is free of charge. Bypass who you have now and get a professional. They may just have your mojo in their pocket...;)

Donna, the nutritionist I saw for my " evaluation" was terrible. The one I saw for the manditory preop class was awesome. He is on staff at the hospital and also holds the support groups AND the service is free of charge. Bypass who you have now and get a professional. They may just have your mojo in their pocket... ;)

Minimi, I'm almost positive but I will ck tomorrow that she works for the hospital too, not sure tho. She's real health nut with herself and follows strict rules for herself but not so helpful when it comes to lap band patients. I've never told my dr how I feel as they are really close and he has all the confidence in the world in her and I don't want to mess that up. She also holds the support group mtgs twice a month that I attend and goes to show you I'm the only one that attends, yes the only one. I live in a small city of about 45,000 ppl but I'm near Nashville TN but I chose my surgeon for specific reasons. I love his staff and love him to death. Like I said, I'm just kind of out here on a limb on my own not knowing what to do. I tried my fitness pal and I'm just well, I'm not too sure how to work it too well. Call me dumb I guess. lol. I see so many people having success with MFP and I don't know how to do it, duh. today's menu for me has consited of the following: Breakfast was a Kashi bar with Protein in it, lunch mid aftertoon was 2 bites of potatoe, 1/4 cup of green Beans and half cup of a stuffed pepper, maybe not quite that much. I've been battling nausea pretty much all of the time since surgery and not sure if its my gallbladder or what so I live on Zofran or Dramamine so me not feeling like working out results in sluggishness from these meds. I am going in tomorrow to see my surgeon because for the last three day I've been throwing up after solid food however today I've kept it down, not a bug, felt fine, just throw up solid foods ever since my last fill so he thinks I'm too tight. I will also talk to him about my gallbladder. Any advice is appreciated.

I am just starting my journey with my new lap band! I am 11 days post op still on liquids and feeling hopeful and I know there are alot of us just starting out. My question to all you seasoned bandits is – if you could only give ONE piece of advice to a new bandit what would it be? What was the main thing that helped you along the way? I appreciate all your replies :)

One thing that helped me is I went out and bought myself a new water bottle a real night one at Walmart for 4 dollars...it holds 4 cups...and every morning I fill it and that reminds me to take vitamins...and then as soon as I drink that I fill it again and I sip all day long...days Im to busy and dont do my rutine...I dont drink as much and I find Im hungry,,,Good Luck..You can do it !

night + nice.....dang spell check

Minimi' date=' I'm almost positive but I will ck tomorrow that she works for the hospital too, not sure tho. She's real health nut with herself and follows strict rules for herself but not so helpful when it comes to lap band patients. I've never told my dr how I feel as they are really close and he has all the confidence in the world in her and I don't want to mess that up. She also holds the support group mtgs twice a month that I attend and goes to show you I'm the only one that attends, yes the only one. I live in a small city of about 45,000 ppl but I'm near Nashville TN but I chose my surgeon for specific reasons. I love his staff and love him to death. Like I said, I'm just kind of out here on a limb on my own not knowing what to do. I tried my fitness pal and I'm just well, I'm not too sure how to work it too well. Call me dumb I guess. lol. I see so many people having success with MFP and I don't know how to do it, duh. today's menu for me has consited of the following: Breakfast was a Kashi bar with Protein in it, lunch mid aftertoon was 2 bites of potatoe, 1/4 cup of green Beans and half cup of a stuffed pepper, maybe not quite that much. I've been battling nausea pretty much all of the time since surgery and not sure if its my gallbladder or what so I live on Zofran or Dramamine so me not feeling like working out results in sluggishness from these meds. I am going in tomorrow to see my surgeon because for the last three day I've been throwing up after solid food however today I've kept it down, not a bug, felt fine, just throw up solid foods ever since my last fill so he thinks I'm too tight. I will also talk to him about my gallbladder. Any advice is appreciated.[/quote']

Awe! So sorry! It sucks when you feel bad. I've never had problems with my gallbladder so I can't advise you on that but they seem pretty classic.

What kind of support group is it if you are supporting yourself? Maybe everyone else has already figured out what you are just realizing!

Hope your doc can help! Keep us posted!

Thanks for all the advice! I have my NUT and first fill appointment booked for December. The reminder that this is a tool and it comes down to me to make the right choices is a good one. I think I may need something to remind me of that on my keys or something....

FLORIDAYS - I am going to start tracking at mushies stage on myfitnesspal. Think it will help me....I admire your attitude.

I started tracking at mushies as well.... I don't think it's too early since it takes 3 weeks to develop a habit.... And 3 weeks to break one.

Thanks for the kind words... I just am SO happy now and I want see everyone meet their goals.

THANK YOU GUYS! Lots of great advice. Going to take it to heart and settle in for the ride! Looking forward to getting to know my band and how we can work together to achive a life long goal. I hope some other newbies got some help from this too :wub:

THANK YOU GUYS! Lots of great advice. Going to take it to heart and settle in for the ride! Looking forward to getting to know my band and how we can work together to achive a life long goal. I hope some other newbies got some help from this too :wub:

my only advice is to not only follow your dr's instructions (and continue with your dr scheduled visits) but to believe in YOU. you must believe in yourself to make this happen. i truly believe that. i do not believe in will power. i do believe in want power...to want something so bad that you do whatever to make it happen....i just had a new baby granddaughter. i want to be able to push her around the block in a stroller. when she was born, i could not. i was unable to. i wanted this surgery to make myself (able) to do that. i can now because i wanted it.....so can you.

you can do this, i know you can.

keep up the great work

THANK YOU GUYS! Looking forward to getting to know my band and how we can work together to achive a life long goal. I

Best advice I ever got was to become one with your band... which is why I call it my permanent reminder of a temporary feeling!

Have patience. It took me until my 3rd fill, 4 mths in until I got any retsriction whatsoever. I wished someone had told me that in the beginning.

Good luck

Marci

I am waiting on my final approval from my insurance so I can start my journey. This was a great question and also wonderful responses. I am trying learn all I can before and have been doing so for months now. Great advice! :0)