Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

57 Y.o. Canadian Woman Wanting To Have Lap Band Done In Phoenix

Snowbird living in Glendale, AZ during the winter and need help finding a good doctor and as much info as possible.

Thanks.

I wouldn't get anything done in the States until you know you can get aftercare in Canada. Many dr's here won't touch you if they didn't do your surgery, and if you can't get someone for aftercare, fills and unfills, then no use getting the surgery. I am in Ottawa and 6hrs away from my surgeon and there is nobody here to do fills........6hrs each way....ugh.

I do have an RN in my hometown of Saskatoon who does the fills so I think I have that part covered.

Go to Dr.Simpson in Phoenix Arizona. He's great.

Consider this, if you are like me in my 50's you need to think about your health at 60, as a band has to be changed around every 10 years, this means another operation you will need in your 60's, I had a band and now I have a sleeve, I did this because I do not want to have another operation in my 60's, I do not know personally any band patients that have had the band out and maintained weight, just something at 50 you should consider.

I have never read or heard that a band needs to be replaced every 10yrs. Can you please show me where this information came from, because my surgeons office has never mentioned this. thanks

I've never heard if it either

Yes the band has many negatives, you need to do your research, best information comes from those of us that have had the band, some that had the operation back in 2000, these patients that have lived and experienced different operations are the source of true knowledge, not that "it should not" or "I have never heard" these are mostly from unexperanced patients.

Like a friend said to me, now you know why when you first started looking at WL options, there was only the "Newbies" and a few old Di hards in the forums because people like us (myself and my Mike) with loads of experience are shouted down in these forums, and well it's just not worth me trying to explain to those that have made up their mind on a particular operation to go to the extent of questioning other WLS.

As I said, I am only here for a very short time, to give stories that I have LIVED to tell stories of those WLS patients that have had 5 - 10 years experience, not many through these forums.

If any one has a question, that they need an honest answer to, please ask, if you are here to challenge me, your challenge will go in answered.

Scott