Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Pains Near Port

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have very painful stomach pains near my port. They seem to come on after vomiting or sleeping on my left side at night.

Does anyone have this issue and how can I make it go away?

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would not chance anything, especially now that you are pregnant, so my best advice would be to call your doctor. You mentioned the pain comes after vomiting or sleeping on your left side. Are you vomiting a lot?

If I lay on my left side to long mine cramps up to. Its because of the muscle its tied into runs along your left side. Also when you vomit your muscles all tense up and that port is right in the middle of one.

Are you vomiting due to naseau or because of the band? If its due to naseau talk to your doc they will get you on some meds to control that. If its from getting stuck maybe you need a slight unfill. Getting all your nutrients down is very important at this stage in your pregnancy.

Call your doc ASAP! Vomiting can cause your band to slip and with being pregnant thats the LAST thing you want to happen. Its not uncommon to need a slight or even total unfill during pregnancy, but throwing up is never good when you're banded.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Thank you for all your good ideas. I will make an appointment today to a get a little bit removed. I am scared to put on weight but know I have to do what is good for the baby.

It is scary but as long as you keep an eye on what and how much you're eating, and when you give into your cravings you do it moderately, you'll be fine :)

Rebecca, thank you for posting this! I will be 10 weeks tomorrow, and I have been having the same issues. This past week, I can feel the band constantly. I feel like I am full all the time! I got my last fill about a week or two before I found out I was pregnant. I called my doctor's office, and they can't get me in until the 16th of November, so I have to deal with this for a couple of weeks. A friend of mine who is banded, but not pregnant, suggested maybe I eat soft foods for the next couple of days, to see if that helps. I'm constantly worrying that my band has slipped. Yikes!

At the end of my pregnancy (34-40 weeks) my port was very sore. Remember your port is attached to the muscle. I didnt get very big until the last 3 weeks or so and thats when it hurt the most. More uncomfortable than anything. Especially when I layed or leaned on it. I never had any Fluid removed but I also didnt have morning sickness. The pain goes away the moment the baby is born. Well at least for me it did. I do remember in my 1st trimester and the beginning of my second as my body stretched, I did feel my port but it went away until the end.

Congrats and good luck!!