Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost all my excess weight after surgery in 9/09. In the last year I have gained about 50 pounds back. My father is trying to be supportive I know but I find his feedback and comments on what I'm eating soooo unhelpful. I have expressed this to him in a kind way, yet he keeps doing it. I know it's out of love and concern- and I have told him that, but also told him I don't like it and it's not helpfull. He comes off as critical and judgemental- haven't said that to him. Any advice on how to handle it. I do love him and know he loves me. I don't want to be disrespecful, but I really need him to stop. Anyone else faceing a similar issue with a friend or family member? Thanks!

My best advice is to point out being honest doesn't necessarily mean disrespectful. You can tell him "Dad, I know you're trying to help, but your comments don't help at all. In fact, it only makes me feel criticized and judged. Please, keep all comments about my weight and food intake to yourself".

That's not disrespectful, that's just be honest.

Our parents like others think they are helping by telling what we can see. i agree with above post, tell him how it makes you fell than move on.

Just wondering what you are wanting from dear old dad. You start out by saying he is supportive and you know he loves you. But you find his comments critical. Well I can imagine his seeing you slipping into the old weight gaining patterns is hard for him to watch. So he is trying to say STOP doing what you are doing while treading carefully .

So I suggest you cut dad some slack and look at the person who is really responsible for you frustration.It is not his fault you have gained 50 lbs. And when you get serious about your issues he will be right there to support your efforts. Just like he was in the begining....

Also, since it has been a few years you may want to consider going back to your surgeon. Perhaps, it's time for another fill. I know some of the Fluid is lost each year.

Also, I do agree to have a conversation with your father; however, I do wonder too if some of your frustration is really from within. I am not judging or criticizing that you have gained and am only concerned. So, I hope you can get back on track for your own well-being.

Best wishes to you.

I think the first thing to address is Why have you gained 50 lbs back in a year? Your father while seemingly being critical may be just worried about you and doesn't know how to express himself. Maybe sit down and talk to him about his concerns and the. Have a conversation with. Your self and your dr about your gain.

Bst of luck to get back on track.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches