Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irrational Fears

Surgery is scheduled for the 24th. I've always had such irrational fears of dying during surgery (I've had numerous surgeries in the past). Matter of fact, I was going to have LapBand surgery back in 2004, but chickened out a week before surgery. I made all kinds of silly excuses then. I was going to do it on my own, and here I am, fatter than ever. I don't know how to get past this fear. It consumes me even more than I can possibly express. That being said, I do know that continuing to live the lifestyle I do now will result in an early death. I'm just scared and so embarrassed to admit this.

Oh! Goodness! You are not the only one afraid! Meeeee tooooo! My band is scheduled for THIS THURSDAY!!!! Yep! I have been watching all these awesome youtube videos of folks who have had great success and came through the surgery just fine...All to psych me up to being brave! I am excited...and have been needing and wanting this for such a long time. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Keep me posted and I am going to add you to my friends!

We gotta encourage each other!

The only way to get beyond your anxieties is to confront them and to continue to challenge your thoughts...because they are distorted. You mentioned that you have had prior surgeries without an adverse outcome. Why should the band surgery be any different?

If this current anxiety is situation induced, then you might want to consider seeing your doctor for a short term prescription of anti-anxiety medication.

The only way to get beyond your anxieties is to confront them and to continue to challenge your thoughts...because they are distorted. You mentioned that you have had prior surgeries without an adverse outcome. Why should the band surgery be any different?

If this current anxiety is situation induced, then you might want to consider seeing your doctor for a short term prescription of anti-anxiety medication.

You're right, and I know this, I'm just crazy I suppose. This surgery should be no different than the previous ones. I have even had a couple of laparoscopic surgeries. I know what to expect.

I probably should see my doctor. It is completely situation induced. Once I wake up from surgery, I'm good to go.

Oh! Goodness! You are not the only one afraid! Meeeee tooooo! My band is scheduled for THIS THURSDAY!!!! Yep! I have been watching all these awesome youtube videos of folks who have had great success and came through the surgery just fine...All to psych me up to being brave! I am excited...and have been needing and wanting this for such a long time. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Keep me posted and I am going to add you to my friends!

We gotta encourage each other!

Best of luck! You got this! We can do this!

Don't be embarrassed many of us struggle with that, including me. I remember being in tears as I waited for them to wheel me into the OR, terrified I wouldn't wake up from the surgery. I had a full blown anxiety attack the night before I was so anxious and scared. I even remember praying like crazy as I waited to fall asleep, going "Please God, don't let me die, and if I do watch over my kids when I'm gone". I was THAT scared.

Just remember that millions of people have surgery with no problems and that you're doing this to better your life. Whatever you need to do to get through it- talk, pray, cry, scream, anything- then do it. Do whatever is going to help you through it. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed of.

You can do this!! :)

Don't be embarrassed many of us struggle with that, including me. I remember being in tears as I waited for them to wheel me into the OR, terrified I wouldn't wake up from the surgery. I had a full blown anxiety attack the night before I was so anxious and scared. I even remember praying like crazy as I waited to fall asleep, going "Please God, don't let me die, and if I do watch over my kids when I'm gone". I was THAT scared.

Just remember that millions of people have surgery with no problems and that you're doing this to better your life. Whatever you need to do to get through it- talk, pray, cry, scream, anything- then do it. Do whatever is going to help you through it. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed of.

You can do this!! :)

Thank you! I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of kids being without a mom. I've done a lot of praying and will continue to do so, and cry too.

I think it's completely rational to have these fears! We all do. I found it helpful to pray and to ask others to pray on my behalf. In addition, I think the idea of getting anti-anxiety medicine is wise- ask your surgeon about it.

My other suggestion is something I saw was offered at the hospital I had my surgery at- NYU. They have a department that basically specializes in Pre-op coping strategies. I saw a brochure that said they teach relaxation techniques for anyone going through chemo, other treatments or surgery. There is a social worker and they offer classes or meetings or CD's etc. I know it's a long-shot but might be worth checking to see if your hospital has any patient services like this. You aren't the first person to feel like this and you certainly won't be the last!

Hang in there and think positive thoughts!

It helps me to totally trust the surgeon and understand the process. Your going to have a room full of medical professionals monitoring you during this surgery. I think of it as I'm just taking a nap. No pain just sleep. Keep us posted on how you do! Best Wishes! :)

Don't most of us go through life wondering "what if"? I know I do.

My surgery is Monday the 15th and I've had the "what ifs" running threw my head. I too, have had many surgeries with no problems, but "what if"....

I'm going to do the same thing I did when I received an all expense paid trip to an African safari and I had never flown before, after all "what if" the plane went down in Atlantic, plus all the little puddle jumpers flying from camp to camp"what if"?

When I faced my fear and boarded that huge plane, I kept singing a song in my head " Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives all fear is gone. Because I know He holds my future and life it worth the living. Just because He lives".

It worked for Africa & it will work Monday!

So my friend my thoughts & prayers will be for you to find peace and a quick recovery after and I pray you'll do the same for me.

Best Wishes!

Surgery is scheduled for the 24th. I've always had such irrational fears of dying during surgery (I've had numerous surgeries in the past). Matter of fact, I was going to have LapBand surgery back in 2004, but chickened out a week before surgery. I made all kinds of silly excuses then. I was going to do it on my own, and here I am, fatter than ever. I don't know how to get past this fear. It consumes me even more than I can possibly express. That being said, I do know that continuing to live the lifestyle I do now will result in an early death. I'm just scared and so embarrassed to admit this.

lets see....it took me 2 months (when posting on this forum) to even admit my highest weight......seriously........and now, even though i am down 73 pounds, i still wont post a picture of my (face) because i am too embarrassed of my size.

your surgeon is gonna take care of you with no problem

you are going in there and take a nap and wake up. your kids will benefit

from this surgery. they will see their mom start to lose weight....maybe they

will then see her smile more and be more in control and then start wearing

smaller clothes and then start believing in herself and find herself making this lap

band surgery work.

its either or

would you rather stay where you are (get bigger and more depressed)??

or

get the surgery and do the things that is required and become the real you inside

stop the excuses (i was the excuse princess)

and get on with it..the pre and post op is the hard part

and that is only for alittle while (though it seems like forever).

life is tooo short......i only wish i would have done this surgery sooner.

you can do it.

if you dont want this for yourself, do it for the kids

i did my surgery mainly because of my new granddaughter

i wanted to be able to walk her around the block in her stroller.

nearly there..............

I had my surgery yesterday. I got teary eyed all day Monday and even emailed my ex husband on the way to the surgery center with if I die instructions. You will be fine. We are own worst enemy. My sister and friend also prayed with me before they took me back also.

Thanks for posting this, BeccaG! I've been having little anxiety attacks when I go to bed....I think it's me being on the computer reading ALL (positive & recently a lot of negative posts) about the Lap Band every night!? I really want the surgery but, I'm so freaked out! I don't know if it's me freaking out about the surgery or living with the band... Or fear of it not working? Psych eval in 6 days, maybe it will help me decide.

I'm scared too... My doctor gave me literature that said this surgery is less dangerous than having the gallbladder removed and they remove those things all day long.

I bet your fear sparks more from the life after surgery... not the surgery! No matter how ready you are, it's scary! I've been fat my whole life... literally a fat baby, fat kid, fat adult, fat, fat, fat... so the thought of being thinner is total craziness to me... Completely different from everything i've ever known.

But imagine how wonderful you're going to feel and look and how much happier you'll be. You're going to rock this surgery and look back and laugh!

Best wishes to you! I have my surgery on Nov 6th...

Carrie