Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It Ever Enough!? Any Secrets!?

Ok guys, HONEST OPINIONS!

I was banded 10/7/11 at 276lbs. I am down to 198.8, as of 09/01/12. So, down 77.2lbs in 48 weeks. Breaks down to about 1.6lbs a week average. I know that ANY weight loss is good and not everyone loses the same and all that politically correct stuff, BUT I have seen people on here that have lost over 100lbs and barely had their surgery in April! Which is amazing for them! ...but do you guys think I'm losing what I should be or should I be pushing harder?? I would really like to be down 100lbs by my birthday, which is 56 weeks post op, but at the rate I'm going not sure I will make it.

Has anyone discovered any crazy secrets about different foods or exercise that have helped push them a little further?

Any help/opinions are always appreciated!

Not that I have experience but I'm sure those that know anything would like to know your current diet and exercise regime. Cograts on your success so far. That is really amazing!

Your doing awsome....but I know what your saying...we all want faster...

For me walking and more walking...and every chance I get Im doing some sort of movement that I didnt use to do.....even if its just stending on your tippy toes when washing dishes....or deep knee bends when folding laundry....Good Luck and with your motivation I bet you hit your goal !!!

Well... from some of the other posts I would have a couple ideas...

1) make sure you are getting in ENOUGH calories. Less is not always more. I am stalled pre-op side and need to heed this advice!

2) Perhaps go back to the beginning and try a liquid diet again... just progress through the stages faster. A lot of people post that it has helped them.

No matter what your fitness plan is make it change. Try a different activity... if you are doing the treadmill even changing t a cross trainer may give you a boost. The thing that has helped me was just simply stretching my workouts from 60 mins to 90. It isn't always convenient, but I have seen a difference in the past few weeks since doing this. I think it is that concept of needing to create muscle confusion to maximze your time and efforts.

Thanks for all the input! Here is a small sample of my regular daily regimen...

Breakfast: Muscle Milk Light Protein Shake

Lunch: Small Cobb salad (maybe 1/2 a cup)

Snack: Hidden Valley Granola Thin

Dinner: Salad and chicken with a veggie

I try to keep my mela sizes small enough to fit into a tennis ball (doctors suggestion). Personal trainer 2-3 days a week for an hour. I do different stuff every time I see him. Not normally a snacker (I actually feel like I'm doing something wrong), but I need a little something extra before working out. My downfall is ice cream. =( I eat a vanilla cone 4-5 times a week. They are fat free, low in calories, but it's still ice cream. It's kind of my go-to item when I can't get anything else down. I want to walk twice a week as well, but never seem to have the time. My goal for September is to make the time!

Based on what you guys have said I think I'm going to make a few new goals for September... NO ICE CREAM! Make sure I'm walking twice a week and make sure I'm eating all my calories! I want 12lbs gone by the 30th! Cross your fingers for me!

Keeping fingers crossed for you! :D

I was banded just a few weeks after you November 21,2011. And I reach 198 on 8/28. I like you thought at first that my weight was really slow however I am celebrating any success!! As we all should! I will tell you that I stalled at 205 then I changed from walking to a combination of both. I was getting bored with the walking so I would pick a point on the track and would jog to that point. I then found this forum and read about couch to 5k. I started the very next week and the change in my body was been pretty amazing. I never ever thought I would want to run...Well I DO! I have ever inspired my sis to start the program and we are going to run our first 5k together once we both complete the 9 week program!

And I will agree that sometimes we dont realize that we arent eating enough (I know sounds weird huh?) and Drink your fluids!

You have done an amazing job! Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I've never heard of that program. I am going to look it up now! =)

Has anyone discovered any crazy secrets about different foods or exercise that have helped push them a little further?

I found if I didnt drink enough Water it slowed my loss down... it wasand still is a huge factor for me.

I would suggest logging your food, calories, and nutrients to see exactly how much you're getting daily. People who don't log them are often shocked at much or little they're actually consuming. I've used the Lose It app since the day I got home from the hospital and it's help a lot.

I've lost a lot relatively quickly, 142 pounds in 8 months, all post op. I find sometimes I have to really play with my calories. My weight loss had really slowed in July so I increased my calories in August and the weight has been melting off ever since.

So, start tracking your food, that will show you clearly where you can make changes for better results.

Shellabee - I totally understand where you're coming from. If it's one thing I learned though (you asked about crazy foods or exercise that really helped) is that going crazy, which is something I've been very guilty of in the past, doesn't pay off. For long term results, steady is the key.

This, coming from a queen of crash dieting, has been only thing that works for me.

You sound like you're doing absolutely wonderful. Any loss is great (hey, we're not gaining!) but I completely get where you're coming from.