Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months out and still can't eat?

I was banded 12/19/05 and have had trouble every day since ! 90% of the time when I eat, two bites later and I am in SEVERE pain. yes-I am taking small bites and chewing til it is almost liquid and after swallowing, it hurts right under my breast bone...(almost as bad as labor pains were!) There is no rhyme nor reason. Every once in a while I can eat something and it doesn't hurt but most times after only 2 BITES I hurt and end up in the bathroom for 30-45min until sometimes I make myself throw up so that it will stop hurting. I am not having "head hunger" because my stomach is making the grawling noise. I am having really bad headaches and I don't know what to do next. I have had 2 fills (both ending with some fill being taken back out that afternoon. I have also been 2 weeks ago for the swallow test and everything looks great. I am begging for help!!!! My dr tells me that either I am eating too fast or not chewing. I tell her that all this starts after just 2 bites and my hubby has even started watching me try to eat to make sure I AM chewing...he is also at his wits end. I go for another fill in 1.5 weeks and I am so depressed. Has ANYONE else had this much pain after just 2 bites?...and the funniest things is....the only thing I have NEVER had pain from is popcorn? ?!!??...it makes NO sense. Please guys, give me your openion...suggestions....It happens with chicken, ground turkey, hamburger, lunch meat, shrimp, fish....I don't know what to do from here!!! Thanks for listening and for your input!

Hi Bandedshopgirl,

What you are experiencing is called "first bite pain". Many bandsters have this problem when they have good restriction and are eating solid Protein.

First piece of advice is to drink at least one - two cups of warm liquids like coffee, tea or just really warm Water before you eat a meal or attempt the first bite of your food. This will relax the esophagus and help you to eat well chewed Protein.< /p>

Second, I would lubricate all my meat with some kind of low carb sauce. I quite frequently use low carb barbecue sauce to lube my meats or some low calorie gravy or even some juice from the meat will help it go down.

Third, ask your doctor about medication to help this problem as a last resort. There are medications that will help you with the esophagus function.

The only thing that disturbs me is why are you geting another fill in 1.5 weeks? How is this going to help your present situation? If you can swallow as it is without pain, why get more restriction?

Babs in TX

334/180/190

Babs is right, shopgirl. Why on earth would you want another fill? Your esophagus is giving you a hard enough time eating as it is. Why make it worse?

shopgirl, sounds like you're following a fill schedule rather than how your body feels. You shouldn't get a fill if you can't eat 1/2 cup of food.

P.S. I'm just going by my doctor's suggestions - I haven't been banded for long enough to have enough experience to advise you.

Good luck.

I'd say a slight UNfill is inorder. Get some of that saline taken out. It doesn't have to be miserable! Even if the first bite syndrome continues, it isn't from being too tight, right? Unfill, at least SOME! Give your poor ole band a break! Good luck. Let us know how it goes, okay?

I agree with Babs. It sounds as if you're having "first bite syndrome" or what she called "first bite pain". She did a great job of describing it and gave you ways to prevent it. Basically, you kind of have to "prime the pump" and get your esophagus and pouch ready to eat. popcorn would probably go through easily because when it's chewed well there's really nothing to it other than maybe what there is of the kernels/shell.

Also, just because you have an appointment for another fill doesn't mean you need one. Your body is already showing some pretty good restriction with this pain with your first couple of bites. You even mentioned having to have part of your fill having to be removed the same afternoon as the fill. Do you really need one? Getting a fill would only increase the restriction you already have and possibly cause you more difficulty/pain.

The headaches that you mentioned may be related to poor nutrition. Are you getting enough Protein, Water, calories? Sometimes a low blood sugar will do that. Sometimes a little dehydration will do that. If you're having trouble getting food in, I suspect this may be the problem.

Good Luck, we're rootin' for you

Hey all, I was just reading your response to bandedshopgirl about her first bite pain. I am experiencing the SAME thing! With my second bite of food I end up clutching my heart... I can barely take the pain...I have slimed up food, saliva and nothing relieves the pain as I can see except time. However, my question is... it was recommended that she drink hot tea before meal times... however I am under the impression that liquids should not be consumed at all one hour before and after meals..... Am I misunderstanding?

Hey all, I was just reading your response to bandedshopgirl about her first bite pain. I am experiencing the SAME thing! With my second bite of food I end up clutching my heart... I can barely take the pain...I have slimed up food, saliva and nothing relieves the pain as I can see except time. However, my question is... it was recommended that she drink hot tea before meal times... however I am under the impression that liquids should not be consumed at all one hour before and after meals..... Am I misunderstanding?

Doctors make up their own rules as they go along, it seems...but the INAMED instructions say nothing about beverages before a meal.

On the schedule you mentioned, someone who slept eight hours and ate three meals would go without even Water for 14 hours per day...which is IMO a bit much, especially for people who are supposed to keep hydrated.

I've HEARD that some doctors say no Water before meals, but I've never heard of the science behind that rule.

Please never get a fill if you are havng ANY trouble with the previous one! You need to resolve your pain before you continue. If it is first bite syndrome (esophageal spasms0 the "fix" is LESS fill, never more.

Banding is not supposed to cause pain.

Fills are not to be given on any set schedule, but only as needed! I don't know any doc who would continue to fill someone having so much trouble!!!! Please get another opinion - your band's life depends on it.

If the suggestions above (hot liquid before the meal) do not solve the problem, please see another band surgeon for advice. You might also need a GI consult. In the meantime, I would ask for (demand, if neeedd) an unfill so you can start to eat and heal. Your weight loss is not the first concern here - your health is! Renee

Sounds like you are tight to me....the 'first bite rule" may apply, but still sounds tight. Don't feel obligated for a fill. Maybe a slight unfill. You don't want to do damage to your esophagus or band.

Take care, Shawn