Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lb Surgery. Help.

One more time, simple as I can make it for you, we are free to share our opinions on this forum and suggest to potential banders to do their research prior surgery, there is nothing you can do about that, get over it, thank you, now carry on. B)

Where did I say you couldn't be here and post? You can do whatever the hell you want. It's up to the Site Admins to moderate not I. I just said I didn't understand why a person who waste time and energy on a forum for a product they absolutely hate.

Answer is simple. You obviously have nothing better to do with your time and you are in fact a troll who likes to cause trouble and attempt to scare people.

You have never been banded so you say so your basing your opinions on something you have no experience with. You said in another posting that maybe someday you will share more information. So your hiding something...

Anyway, I am done I got better things to do.

bravo, you will find more of your own kind over at obesity help.com

they sound just like you :)

I've been considering lap band surgery, but I have some fears. First, I'm 33 yrs old, 5'5" and weigh 235. I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but the rest of my stats are normal (blood work, etc).

I'm nervous about having something in my body for my entire life. I realize the lapband can be removed, but it seems as if this isn't an option most ppl take.

I'm scared I won't be able to have fun with my friends anymore. I want to be able to go on vacation with my friends and eat some bad food and drink and just be "one of the girls." Will this be over for the rest of my life??

I wonder about the port, too. I like to sleep on my stomach... Would this be weird/uncomfortable b/c I would constantly "feel" the port?

Also, there are times in my life I've been fairly active (I play golf and I used to go running)-- with the limited food intake, will I be too light headed for too much activity?

Everything being said, I understand that I will lose weight! A task that has alluded me for most my life! I have tried every diet. I'm just nervous to jump into something "permanent".

Please help me if you can answer my questions! :)

Hey there! It is completely normal to have fears and concerns! I did as well! But let me give you a little bit of my story. I am 25 years old and got the band when I was 21. It has not prevented me from doing the things I enjoy! I still go out with friends, eat, drink, etc. You start to learn what you can and can't eat once you start bringing foods back in the mix after the surgery. I'd say the beginning may be the hardest, but we've all gotten through it and i wouldn't change it at all. I am very happy with my band and glad i have this tool to help me in losing weight and keeping it off. This site is a great forum so ask as many questions as you want! :) As far as the port - its never been an issue for me and i am a stomach sleeper as well. If I am on a hard surface, sometimes I can feel it, but other than that, never a problem.

All kidding aside you can hate all you want but -53 since 6/6 is awesome, congrats! I'm - 33 lbs since 7/18 myself... :)

i hate people who abuse animals and kids ONLY

thanks for the compliment. I guess the band does work after all :)

Thanks Justme9786! You've been really helpful. Also, thanks to the first people who commented on my questions! This is a stressful decision, and I appreciate any helpful commentary. I really don't care what Bravo has to say other than to make sure I do my own research... which I was planning on doing anyway (hence, asking questions and seeking advice on this forum). I'm not here to condemn anyone or call names! I just want to hear from real people who've had this done! :)

Thanks Justme9786! You've been really helpful. Also, thanks to the first people who commented on my questions! This is a stressful decision, and I appreciate any helpful commentary. I really don't care what Bravo has to say other than to make sure I do my own research... which I was planning on doing anyway (hence, asking questions and seeking advice on this forum). I'm not here to condemn anyone or call names! I just want to hear from real people who've had this done! :)

And that is a great thing, to ask ask and ask more questions. Like a previous poster said, educate yourself so you don't end up as a statistic. Youll have ups and downs, but my thought was that in the end, I'm healthier, I'm happier, I look dang good (if I do say so myslef haha!) and I can still do everything I enjoy!! :) Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make!

he responded by calling me a troll and bashing me lol.

I have no idea what it's all about.

Takes one to know one!

kflan:

welcome to your Quest to Find Normo eating style! I've been banded over 7 years; without it I probably would have died due to multiple complications of morbid obesity.

I too had the same fears and reservations you post. Even given some rougher moments, my worst postOp Band day has remained better than the best preOp day the 10 or 15 years before I finally went for my own surgery.

Yes, ask questions, do your research, find out all the options, and satisfy whatever inquiries you may have. There are more options now than when I did my surgery, as at that time only RNY or the Band was available.

I remain over 100# down from my Largest Person size: 30 I lost pre consult, another 20 post consult, and over 50 directly due to the Band. I was 59 at surgery and continue to feel about 30 years younger than preBand.

Life is full of all kinds of choices. Find your path and set your actions in that direction.

Cheers

Ok anyone have a clue who this moron BRAVOGOLOFTANGO is? Or what the hell he's talking about? Because I'm seriously at a loss at to what the heck he's talking about.

EDIT: Oh apparently he's now blocked me so I can't see his posts. Apparently he prefers to spread fear and lies and can't handle the truth so he decided to block me rather than face facts.

Now I totally get it ;)

He must have me blocked too. Heaven forbid that the voice of reason be allowed to be heard.

Golf? It takes very little energy to play golf so that's not a problem.

tmf

\

LOL! I have friends who would call that statement a far worse heresy than any band bashing statement a troll could ever dream up!

Little did you know that a perfectly innocent question asked on a "support" site forum could stir up a hornet's nest of controversy that has nothing to do with you personally. I'm a veteran of the online support forum wars and first want to tell you that on the whole, the members of LBT are very kind and helpful people.

I've been considering lap band surgery, but I have some fears. First, I'm 33 yrs old, 5'5" and weigh 235. I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but the rest of my stats are normal (blood work, etc). It would be great if you could reduce your weight now, at least enough to reduce your risk of developing co-morbidities (high blood pressure, etc) later on

I'm nervous about having something in my body for my entire life. Have you ever had dental work, such as fillings? If so, you already have a foreign object (or more) in your body. I realize the lapband can be removed, but it seems as if this isn't an option most ppl take. When the band is removed, the removal almost always results in weight gain, so I wouldn't recommend having band surgery thinking that you'll have the band removed eventually. Also, having the band removed for a non medical reason would be a tough sell on your insurance company.

I'm scared I won't be able to have fun with my friends anymore. I want to be able to go on vacation with my friends and eat some bad food and drink and just be "one of the girls." Will this be over for the rest of my life?? Maybe. And maybe you'll find a lot of new ways to have fun with your friends that aren't centered around junk food and alcohol.

I wonder about the port, too. I like to sleep on my stomach... Would this be weird/uncomfortable b/c I would constantly "feel" the port? I'm not stomach sleeper so I can't speak to that.

Also, there are times in my life I've been fairly active (I play golf and I used to go running)-- with the limited food intake, will I be too light headed for too much activity? I can't see why light headedness would be a problem if you aren't diabetic or hypoglycemic. A healthy band lifestyle should allow you to eat small amounts of healthy foods that you like, certainly enough to keep your body fueled for sports or other physical activities. You might not feel great doing a 5K run the day after surgery, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't do that later on.

Everything being said, I understand that I will lose weight! A task that has alluded me for most my life! I have tried every diet. I'm just nervous to jump into something "permanent". Let me give you the perspective of a 59-yr-old, formerly obese woman who in the past 5 years was banded, lost 100% of her excess weight, lost her job, lost her mother, lost her hearing, and lost her band. NOTHING in life is permanent. Personally, I am all done with living for tomorrow. If a medical device improves my quality of life NOW, I'm OK with it. Now excuse me while I go change the batteries in my foreign objects. Excuse me, my hearing aids.

Please help me if you can answer my questions! :)

So, for a different point of view (FYI, this thread amused me greatly)

I am a failed band, had it removed almost 3 weeks ago secondary to slip. I was banded 12/2009 @ 295 with a BMI of about 50. I did well for about 6 months then had an episode of tightness leading to dehydration leading to total unfill and IV fluids. I had some restriction but was not too tight, I as slowly and consistently losing weight but it was the week before my period, 4th of July weekend and things just got tight. I went to liquids, but never recovered. After the unfill things were never the same. I NEVER could get to a comfortable spot with my band. We put a little in here and there but essentially any time I'd add anything I'd have to have it removed soon after. Upper GI was normal. So I played the band game. I ate mostly what I should but had great difficulty with solid Protein, I drank my Water, I exercised very little. I got down to and maintained around 225 with a BMI of 36 ish. I lost essentially half my excess body weight which is about average.

I did not drink through straws, drink sodas, eat a lot of crap..... I spent a couple years with almost nothing in my band and I maintained that weight. This summer I developed severe reflux, waking up at night choking, chest pain with any foods (soft or otherwise) and eventually difficulty tolerating liquids. I was found to have a slipped band. Was I a perfect bandster? No. Was I bad and did so etching to my band? No. Sometimes **** happens....

Do I hate bands? No. Will I have another? No way. When I had my band removed I had so much inflammation and irritation that my surgeon felt it unsafe to do an immediate revision and I'm now in a 6 month healing period before I can get bypass. In hind site I have a lot of problems with allergies and drainage and my band didn't like that. I catch every GI bug that comes through the clinic, and my band didn't like that....I was not the best choice for a band. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten a gastric sleeve (except the weren't being done here yet).

The band works for some but there's a chunk of us out there that it didn't work for. It is reversible as they say but that doesn't mean there's not permanent damage being done that can ever be taken out. I know of 1 case where the band did so much damage the patients surgeon told her she can never safely have another bariatric surgery (1 out of a million yes, but still something to think about).

FYI I am a family practice physician assistant, my surgeon is one of the best in the area and who you go to if there's a problem or you need a revision. I went in to this well educated with a good surgical/bariatric program to support me. I again contend that sometimes **** just happens and you can't really predict who it'll happen to!

Best of luck with your decision. Get to know all 3 procedures and talk to people who have been successful as well as those who have not been successful.

As for bravo-omega-fatty acid dude, he's a freak, ignore him. I love how he talks about 'intel' cuz obviously he's important and in the know on all things lapband.

Thanks, Christiemr! It's good to hear both sides...

I really appreciate hearing from all of you. I have never met anyone in person who's had lb surgery (that I knew of), so it's nice to find an online forum to answer questions.

So, for a different point of view (FYI, this thread amused me greatly)

I am a failed band, had it removed almost 3 weeks ago secondary to slip. I was banded 12/2009 @ 295 with a BMI of about 50. I did well for about 6 months then had an episode of tightness leading to dehydration leading to total unfill and IV fluids. I had some restriction but was not too tight, I as slowly and consistently losing weight but it was the week before my period, 4th of July weekend and things just got tight. I went to liquids, but never recovered. After the unfill things were never the same. I NEVER could get to a comfortable spot with my band. We put a little in here and there but essentially any time I'd add anything I'd have to have it removed soon after. Upper GI was normal. So I played the band game. I ate mostly what I should but had great difficulty with solid Protein, I drank my Water, I exercised very little. I got down to and maintained around 225 with a BMI of 36 ish. I lost essentially half my excess body weight which is about average.

I did not drink through straws, drink sodas, eat a lot of crap..... I spent a couple years with almost nothing in my band and I maintained that weight. This summer I developed severe reflux, waking up at night choking, chest pain with any foods (soft or otherwise) and eventually difficulty tolerating liquids. I was found to have a slipped band. Was I a perfect bandster? No. Was I bad and did so etching to my band? No. Sometimes **** happens....

Do I hate bands? No. Will I have another? No way. When I had my band removed I had so much inflammation and irritation that my surgeon felt it unsafe to do an immediate revision and I'm now in a 6 month healing period before I can get bypass. In hind site I have a lot of problems with allergies and drainage and my band didn't like that. I catch every GI bug that comes through the clinic, and my band didn't like that....I was not the best choice for a band. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten a gastric sleeve (except the weren't being done here yet).

The band works for some but there's a chunk of us out there that it didn't work for. It is reversible as they say but that doesn't mean there's not permanent damage being done that can ever be taken out. I know of 1 case where the band did so much damage the patients surgeon told her she can never safely have another bariatric surgery (1 out of a million yes, but still something to think about).

FYI I am a family practice physician assistant, my surgeon is one of the best in the area and who you go to if there's a problem or you need a revision. I went in to this well educated with a good surgical/bariatric program to support me. I again contend that sometimes **** just happens and you can't really predict who it'll happen to!

Best of luck with your decision. Get to know all 3 procedures and talk to people who have been successful as well as those who have not been successful.

As for bravo-omega-fatty acid dude, he's a freak, ignore him. I love how he talks about 'intel' cuz obviously he's important and in the know on all things lapband.

Glad someone was able to chime in on the other side of the band. Yes, there are people who, the band just doesn't work for. Definitely look into all options and other surgeries out there. I haven't researched any others because when i got the band they were really only talking about the band and bypass...and me being young with only 75lbs to lose, the bypass didn't feel like the right fit for me which is why i chose the band. But everyone is different :)

Hi Kflan, I just wanted to say I'm sorry this got off topic earlier. I'm not even banded yet myself. I'm at the last week of my 6 mths diet before surgery. I've been following this forum for the whole 6mths, but just became a member 1mth ago. It really frosted me that someone that I have never seen on here just gets on and starts bashing one of our best losers. Jean is right, there are wonderful supportive people on this board.

So sorry again!