Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Tighten A Lap Band Without A Port Head?

I have no problem with someone wanting a low BMI but if you are not careful instead of being " hell bent" you might be on your way to either there or the other place.

If you are so keen to keep your weight at this level ( and still be alive) then you need to find some way to pay for it.

topic has gone way off course

And she considers a BMI of 22 at the high end of normal.....

This ranks up there really high on my list of 'Duh'

Sometimes we take risks for good reasons, sometimes we take stupid risks. Having major surgery with the risks of anesthesia and other complications without physically needing it to be heathy qualifies as stupid in my book. If this is all true you shouldn't be given a cent of public assistance to cover any of this or complications from it, your surgeon is an idiot strictly out for money with no concern for the well being of his patients and whomever the wonderful doctor is that has been giving you fills should be ashamed of himself.

If this is true you are a very ill woman and need serious help.

That said, good luck, hope you don't end up with peritonitis and dying a painful and miserable death all because a healthy BMI wasn't good enough for you.

You should be thankful you can still drink and at least get some nutrients!

On my tight days I couldn't even drink Water. Nothing kills you faster than dehydration.

It also sounds as though her problems could be self inflicted.

I would like everybody to take a minute and think about how the world treated you being overweight. People are judgmental, harsh, and unforgiving.

It is quite possible to disagree with model's decisions an not be judgemental. Don't be like all those people that hurt us because we weren't small enough

You don't have to condone her decision (I don't) but please be a better person than those that persecuted us.

Where did you get that quote from Elcee...was it in a different post...by model?

This whole topic is completely bizarre to me. I am sympathetic at the fact that model has a tube sticking out of her, but can't wrap my head around someone with a normal BMI getting this surgery.

I call into question the original poster mental condition and the surgeon's professional integrity.

I don't want to stir the pot more but I agree that you should seek counselling. I am not saying this to be mean but you are risking your life to keep this lapband. You seem to have an issue with placing your bmi above your life. Which this is interesting point because a lot of people get the lap band to SAVE their life. I also have a hard time believing the whole story. No Dr, even a general surgeon would simply snip off the end and say oh this will work and if they did, I would sue. Right now you need to realize that your body needs time to heal, it is a high risk of infection even sepsis.

Sorry, but if I had a BMI of 18.5 I would be going threw a LB. Plus I'm a christian, not going to hell.. Plus I have a granddaughter with a G&J tube sticking out of her abdomen, who will never eat anything other then tube fed. So may God bless & keep you and show you what is Really important in life.

Sorry "wouldn't"

@ Karewpah

Yes

Yes it is a nightmare. I live in Australia where only medical necessities are performed.

This is a really odd situation - its actually WAY easier here than in the US to get non necessities performed and covered, our health system is very different and as long as a doctor says he considers something worth doing (other than cosmetic surgery), its going to have a Medicare item number attached and if you have private health insurance, your insurer is not going to make you jump through hoops to get approved, doctor will do it, its approved end of story.

I dont want to stir the pot but there really is a possibility that this is bogus. Because our system just does not work this way! Going to Thailand for major surgery is not really a wise thing to do, and this horror story appears again and again with cosmetic surgeries also - but Australian doctors do not refuse people in need just because they went to Thailand. Anyway you cut it though, tubing and a port sticking out through your skin IS a medical necessity, if not an emergency. This has to be fixed. If the band itself is healthy, its a simply procedure, although patching you up might be more complicated. Its very bizarre to encounter a doctor who would not treat you - you need to find someone else. I cant believe any GP you visited would not be absolutely horrified and refer you on to another bariatric surgeon right away. And our surgeons do not generally engage in the morally questionable practice of refusing to help people because someone else did the original surgery.

This is a medically necessary revision surgery and you should be able to get it done - I would even seek legal advice on this. It is your right and our system operates in such a way that this should be fixed, pronto, no questions asked. You cant go about your life with an open abdomen. If you simply presented to any Emergency dept this would probably be fixed. You might not get to keep the band, but it would be fixed.

Sorry, but you need to just accept it. Your band is not going to function as it should whether you risk your health for it or not.

Thank you OTR Sleever and ready4change2 as being the only individuals to offer support.

This forum is supposed to be a supportive one and a bunch of people persecuting me for my decisions isn’t fair.

Furthermore how would you define cosmetic surgery, which requires anaesthesia? That ain’t a medical emergency, it’s a persons choice. My trip to Mexico could be considered cosmetic tourism. But for me the freedom of not living every day with constant digestion problems and stomach pains was a godsend. The acid reflux was excruciating. Every second day I would wake up with burning pains. But the band physically stopped the acid from coming up.

And yes I had tried every elimination diet on Earth to alleviate my various food allergies.

I just want my band back. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DONT SAY IT AT ALL.

Ok, I'll stay give you what you want. Shoot yourself up with saline & fill the tube with silly puddy.

Yes her problem is not that she cannot get help. Her problem is that she cannot get the help that she wants.

Model...I am just curious how the port came thru your skin...would you mind telling me?