Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Do It Again

First off. Good luck to Christiemr, I hope it all works out. Secondly, I'm only 3 days out. So if you asked me on day 1 post op. no, lol, it's not easy. Minor or major-surgery is certainly a process. But now on day 3 - yes...id do it again. Thus far;)

lets see 80 lbs gone, did my first 1/2 marathon on bike,smaller size, healthier few glitches

Nope would do it again!!!

Would absolutely do this again. I am only 4 months out but have had excellent results along with hard work. I have done what I can to keep my band in place and working. No sodas, no straws and no over eating. I eat my Protein, drink my liquids and try to stay away from sliders.

There are risks with any surgery and everyone is different, what works for me may not work for someone else. Do your research and then make the decision that is right for you not because someone else has or has not had a problem but because you feel it is the right decision for you.

Good luck to you.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, the only difference being I would have it done in conjunction with plication! Plication is kind of like the best of both worlds, band and sleeve.

The only time I know I have a band is when I don't eat properly. I can feel my port, it's kind of neat, let's me know I have a "little helper"!

Do I miss eating as much? NO! I love the fact that I get satisfied with such a small amount of food!

OK, here's my perspective. I apologize in advance for the long post.

Find the most skilled, smartest, most experienced surgeon you can find. You want the person that other doctors go to for advice. This will minimize the risk of an improperly placed or adjusted band. My surgeon is scary good and that's exactly what I wanted. He placed my band with one 1-1/2" laproscopic incision.

Follow the rules to the letter. A lot of people (including me) have major psychological issues with food. If we didn't, a lot of us wouldn't be in this position. Stick to the fundamentals so you minimize the risk of problems with the band being a result of something you did or didn't do.

I got my band in 2010. I've lost about half of the weight to my goal since then and kept it of - 60 pounds. I've NEVER been able to keep weight off that long before regaining it, so in that sense it's worked. I also "fell off the wagon" for a period and I'm back on now thanks to my surgeon's great advice. I've lost another 15 since my last fill and consultation with my doctor. I sheepishly went in to my appointment and explained the whole situation, and he told me something that really hit home.

a. It takes most people about 5 years to REALLY learn how to use the tool correctly. I'm a food addict, so breaking the chain of addiction for me has taken longer than most already. Would I have done it without this tool? Absolutely not.

b. Had I fallen "off the wagon" and had surgery that was non-adjustable, I would have little recourse. As it is, doc gave me another fill, reiterated the rules to me, and I'm now 15 pounds lighter because the band is restricting my hunger as it should.

c. After a while, the "restrictions" of the band become part of your make-up. I can't run a 5-minute mile, but that limitation doesn't stop me from living an exciting, fun-filled life. The way I eat now is comfortable and part of my daily life. I don't miss gulping down huge portions of food, and don't miss weighing 300 pounds either.

I know I keep suggesting this in my posts, but go to YouTube and search for "Dr. Paul O'Brien 8 Rules Intro" and watch all four parts. Dr. O'Brien is probably the most experienced Lap-Band surgeon on Earth, and these videos explain the mechanisms that make the band work. This information is what allowed me to get back on track.

Long way around, but yes, absolutely I'd get the band again. It's saved my life. It's adjustable, it's reversible, it's effective. Recovery time is shorter. I have a friend who had bypass and has had great results too. It's an intensely private decision, but at least now you have one more perspective.

D.

I would do it again. I feel great. It helps you slow down and realize that all the food you were eating is not neccessary to have to survive. When you see a before and after pic, you will say it was worth it!

Recovering from my band removal and now waiting 6 months for a RNY' date=' I have to say I would have started with a sleeve not a band. Too many problems the last several years.[/quote']

So, if in hindsight you would have opted for the sleeve, why now are you opting for RNY?

I researched all of the WLS options thoroughly and decided on the LapBand for many reasons. I didn't like the idea of a part of me being cut away. I also didn't like the idea of my body not absorbing nutrients correctly (bypass). Another reason was that I didn't want to lose 100lbs in 6 months and have tons of lose skin. I exercise regularly and am able to keep up with that. Of course I still have some extra skin, but nothing like a sleeve/bypass patient. I like that I can remove it in the future if needed. My main reason was I want to have kids and I don't want my WLS to affect their nutrition during pregnancy and breast feeding. With the other surgeries it is possible to stretch your stomach pouch and there is nothing that can be done. If we stop losing we just go in for a fill and the weight loss is jump started all over again. There are people, for health reasons, that have to get something else, but if it's an option for you I would absolutely get the band. No you don't feel the band itself. You an feel the port when you push on it more and more as you lose weight, and sometimes when you sit a certain way, but it's not painful and you get used to it. Good luck!

So' date=' if in hindsight you would have opted for the sleeve, why now are you opting for RNY?[/quote']

It just feels right, I'm more familiar with the surgery and more comfortable with it. PLUS two of my closest friends had sleeves last year and have lost next to nothing with it (both will admit it's their fault). FYI they were not doing sleeves in my area at the time of my original surgery so it was not an option at the time.

I'm not anti-band, but I will say my surgeon way down played some of the more nasty and annoying complications at the time! My theory is everyone needs to be well educated on all 3 options before making a decision. And everyone needs to talk to people who were successful with the surgeries and failed with the surgeries. My surgeon will NOW admit that my slip was not something I did or caused. It was simply a failed band. I kinda felt by one of the responses above that someone was saying bands only slip of you are abusing the band. This is simply not true, it is the cause in many cases but not all.

I've done a ton of research on the band and bypass and and moderate amount on sleeve( not as much available at the time.)i chose band for the same reasons as others.I'm a nurse and have had to take care of a lot of bypass patients that were re admitted for bleeds sepsis mslnutrition etc....I felt like less drastic to start was better no removing or re routing anything.BUT I'm turning 40 this year and if the band didn't work I would try another surgery.Because they all have the benefit (if done properly) of reducing weight and weight related diseases..FOR me this was the best choice.I like that it's a tool and you have to work it to make it work.it really motivates me.even though people say " you took the easy way out" with all weightloss surgeries, I think lapband is the one that that statement least applies to.

only wish i would have done it sooner

the band and plication gave me my life back

i wont waste another minute

Would I do it again? Not likely.

I would have worked harder to lose naturally - I know, a lot of people say "if I could, I would - and I totally understand it. I might would have said the same thing. But the fact that a band which makes eating uncomfortable worked to make me lose proves that there was some real control issues.

And, had I known the pain of surgery, the discomfort during eating, the throwing up, and the damage to my teeth from PB'ing, my now chronic back breath, and most recently, the hernia repair that changed my 12,000 to more like 50K in medical expense, I believe that would have been a great enough incentive.

Just being honest.

Things that drew me to the band:

No drastic eating habit changes (my problem was portion control). I didn't WANT the dumping syndrome of bypass.

I have since learned that bands can be somewhat fickle and not let you eat every food that you once did, even if it is healthy.

Reversible if something goes wrong.

I have since learned that while this is true, scar tissue can form and create problems with removal. Bypasses are also reversible, but less seldom done. Sleeves are NOT reversible at all.

Unfillable if more nutrition is needed due to illness.

True

If my weight loss stops, I just get another fill.

Not exactly true. There is a limit as to how tight the band can go before you have total occlusion. If a band is so tight that you cannot eat solid foods, you might resort to soft foods such as ice cream, or milk shakes that can have very high caloric values. You can be tempted to tighten the band further, but that will not help. There is a very fine line between too tight, too loose, and making poor food choices for whatever reason.

No malabsorption

True. Sleeve was not available when I was banded. It was bypass or band. I thought bypass was too drastic for my health condition. Sleeve does not have malabsorption, so that is attractive to me.

If I lost my band and it could not be replaced or repaired, I think I would go with bypass. As your anatomy is all still there, and it is still the gold standard procedure. BUT, I'd do much, much more research and talking with my surgeon before committing to that. That is from my limited sleeve info.

Would have done it when I was younger.

Things that drew me to the band:

No drastic eating habit changes (my problem was portion control). I didn't WANT the dumping syndrome of bypass.

I have since learned that bands can be somewhat fickle and not let you eat every food that you once did' date=' even if it is healthy.

Reversible if something goes wrong.

I have since learned that while this is true, scar tissue can form and create problems with removal. Bypasses are also reversible, but less seldom done. Sleeves are NOT reversible at all.

Unfillable if more nutrition is needed due to illness.

True

If my weight loss stops, I just get another fill.

Not exactly true. There is a limit as to how tight the band can go before you have total occlusion. If a band is so tight that you cannot eat solid foods, you might resort to soft foods such as ice cream, or milk shakes that can have very high caloric values. You can be tempted to tighten the band further, but that will not help. There is a very fine line between too tight, too loose, and making poor food choices for whatever reason.

No malabsorption

True. Sleeve was not available when I was banded. It was bypass or band. I thought bypass was too drastic for my health condition. Sleeve does not have malabsorption, so that is attractive to me.

If I lost my band and it could not be replaced or repaired, I think I would go with bypass. As your anatomy is all still there, and it is still the gold standard procedure. BUT, I'd do much, much more research and talking with my surgeon before committing to that. That is from my limited sleeve info.[/quote']

Love this truly educated response! So often on the forums if you say anything good about another procedure you get slammed. What works for one doesn't work for all... Kinda like chocolate, I don't like chocolate, does that make me a horrible person?