Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things You Wish You Had Done Pre-Op...

So I've got 4 months left in my 6 month supervised diet/fitness deal for insurance. I have already cut soda's completely...haven't had one drop since May 28! I am starting to dry new recipes that I believe will be band friendly, and have started trying various Protein Drinks to see which I like and which I don't so that I'm not having to do that all at the same time as the pre-op diet. So my question is, other than trying to drink less/nothing while eating and concetrating on chewing every bite very well...what are some other things that I can be doing that will make this transition easier when pre-op diet gets here and post op?? Some things maybe you wish someone had told you that you would've done differently going in to get yourself more prepared? Thanks for any ideas/help!

In a support group I attended, many people recommended preparing foods to have in the freezer so you have options ready to eat. They felt they weren't up to doing a lot of cooking/preparation after surgery so when it came to the pureed stage or mush, they had things already prepared. One suggestion was to freeze individual servings in an ice cube tray for easy access and appropriate portions. I am a week out and one thing that I wished I would have done for my liquid phase (that I am still in until next week) is made some regular Soups and saved the broth for this phase. Drinking plain chicken or beef broth is boring after 1 or 2x. I wish I would have had broth from some of my regular soups I make to have (minestrone broth, etc.) to add some variety and flavor.

Thank you so much for your reply here and on my other post!

Congrats on being SO close! I can't wait...but at the same time I want to make the most of these next few months! Those are great suggestions! The ice tray idea is perfect! someone else had told me to get the little condiment cups and use those to freeze little meals in...the ice tray idea sounds easier! at least they wouldn't fall throught the shelf in the freezer haha..... So my dr does a 10 day pre-op diet...the first 7 days are liquid but can be creamies, so i think there is enough variation with those options, i'll be okay, but those 3 days of "clear" liquids...I will have to save some broths for that b/c I can definitely see where that would get old! I'm not sure how i'm going to handle the straight broth anyways...BUT i will do it! Pinch my nose and sip it on down! Well keep me updated on your progress! Good luck next week!!!! How exciting!

I found lots of real chicken Soups broth at Fresh N Easy grocery store and also Trader Joes that taste homemade and in cleare state. They also have beef noodle clear brith and a shrimp broth. Very tasty.

It sounds like you pretty much got it all under control! I don't really have any regrets for pre-op. I also stopped soda and started to try and drink more Water. My best advice for post-op is WALK! WALK! WALK! As soon as they will let you, get up and walk and when you go home, keep walking! The hardest thing to do is get into exercise when you haven't done it on a regular basis for years - well, I hadn't anyway. =) Working out 3 days a week for an hour will nearly double your weekly weight loss. If you have a smart phone there are a few apps that will help you out. "My Band Fill" is great for keeping track of your fills. There is one called "BodyShot" that lets you keep track of weight and photos for each weigh in, then view them side by side, and you can even email or text them to people. "MyFitnessPal" is a good one for calorie counting and keeping track of exercising. They also have a website if you would prefer that. Those have all come in handy for me post-op. The other thing I did was buy a pedometer. Well, it's more like a pedometer on steroids. Haha. It's called the fitbit. It keeps track of all kinds of daily stuff and even your sleep pattern. It helps me to ensure I'm walking a good amount and helps keep track of calories as well. Hope that wasn't too much info for you! Oh, one more thing! 99% of restaurants will honor the LapBand discount and allow you to order a kids meal at a ridiculously cheap price! Just make sure you get the card from your doc after surgery saying you have it. Good luck and keep us updated!

THANK YOU!!! those are all great pointers, and no its not "too much"!! If you think of anything else please don't hesitate! i'm trying to get all my little ducks in a row so that this is a smooth as possible!

Really good ideas, ones ITA!!! For me, the not drinking with meals and the eating small small bites, chewing thoroughly and eating SLOWLY were so hard! I had thought to try it before being banded, but didn't do it, and it was an adjustment. I still get "first bite syndrome" where I don't chew that first bite quite enough and feel tight/mini stuck. I'm working on it, though.

I really second the walking - especially right after surgery after you get home, and for the next days. It REALLY helps with the gas (they pump you full of gas for ease of moving around your guts). Also, start an exercise program- even if it's just walking, or carving out the 30 minutes or whatever, just to start making it a habit.

Good luck, I am a very happy bandster, lost over 70 lbs in 6 months- I was banded on 1/26/12. I do follow the rules, and exercise and eat solid Protein and avoid slider foods. I'm in it to win it!!!!

Nicki

Hi, the hardest thing for me to get used to and accomplish is, drinking a gallon of Water a day between meals. I can't drink 1/2 hr. before meals and an hr. after but in between I have to drink a gallon. I had my surgery 6/19 and have not reached the full gallon yet.

When I go to restaurants, I order a regular meal but get a container to take home right away. I seperate the portion that I know I can eat and box up the rest right away. Avoids overeating and when you get home you can usually get a couple of meals out of the leftovers depending on the restaurants portion sizes.

I exercise everyday but I do my upper body with light weights one day and the next day I do my walking and lower body exercises. This way here I won't be sore all over and don't feel overwhelmed. Hope I helped a little!

well this isnt really a helpful band tip but one thing i wish i would have done the night before my surgery is measure myself!!! and took lots of full body pics so i could have some for comparison now. I think it would be really nice to be able to see how many inches i have lost from my hips and waist and bust line but i was nervous and totally spaces it off!! plus i always used to make sure that my pics where from the chest up because i was embarrassed so i really have no full body pics to compare to now.

Thank you everyone! And probably my biggest concern is the drinking while eating....I'm one who has always drank a lot so this is going to be a real adjustment for me. I've started being more conscious of it but definitely haven't made much progess at adjusting yet. As far as Water is concerned I have bought two 32 oz reusable bottles and i marked off every 4 ounces and put times " by 8am, 9am, 10 am, 12 noon" on the first bottle that way thats all gone by noon... (i don't do lunch until 1 so that will be okay with the not drinking before a meal) then my second bottle is marked "by 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm" so that by the time I leave work I've had 64 ounces of Water. Saw that on pinterest haha Then i still have until bedtime to get more in as well. and the days i workout its easy to get at least 32 more in by the time i crash. Walking - At least it will be "winter" by the time I schedule my surgery! I'm in Mobile, AL and the humidity is unbelievable! I'm ready to go outside and not suffocate! I did a half marathon a little more than a year ago, and have been wanting to get back into walking/jogging so this will be a great time to get back in it and keep it going this time! I also just bought a rowing machine...BEST cardio ever, and its FUN! I also workout at Curves (try for 3 days a week) so I think my workout routine will carry me through...used to Zumba twice a week too but my work hours changed and I could no longer make it to the class.

Congrats Nicki Thats awesome!!!!!

Oh pictures...much like you I don't ever do full body pictures, but I'm going to attempt to keep up with them now...at least a monthly shot...maybe i will feel differently about taking full body shots knowing that this is the last time I will look like this lol

Thanks again everyone!

As far as your Water consumption, I got a "hydracoach" on Amazon and it's my new best friend. It keeps track of the water(or whatever you put in it) and lets me know how much and how often I drink. I am thinking it will help me after surgery even more :) One of my best tips so far.

Wow, I've never heard of this before but I just looked it up, thats really awesome! I definitely will have to order me one! thats even better than my marked up bottles haha Thanks for the tip and continue to share if you think of anymore! When is your surgery?

Another thing... if you are on any medications, you may want to either get a pill cutter or talk to your doctor if it is a larger pill to see if there is a smaller size alternative. ;-) I am on BP meds and the pill is fairly large. I cut it into 4's.

I am blessed, I am not on any medications! praise God! I have started taking vitamins...I got the chewable kind so that I will already be used to chewing up those chalky things! So I'm assuming any pain meds or anything they give you post op is liquid? or will i need a chopper for post op meds?