Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Smileelee: You do sound like you are too tight. If you can't get down Water or just warm liquids, you need to go in for an unfill before you damage your stomach or esophagus. You do not want stretch either and have to go through surgery all over again. I would hate to see that happen to you. You can lose the band and then have to go through surgery all over again to replace it.

I would suggest you call your doctors office ASAP.

Hello All! Well, I'm officially two weeks from my surgery date and boy do I have questions. I've been trying to follow the pre-op diet to the letter, but it's hard. Any thoughts on how to make a liquid diet seem appealing for two weeks? Also, how should I deal with hunger - just more liquids? Is this where the Protein Shakes come in?

I have a call in to my nutritionist, so hopefully she can clear this up. Here's my next question, for all of us emotional eaters - what did you do to fill in the gap?

Today I found myself frustrated because I wanted to eat some naughty foods very bad. It didn't help that my job had staff meeting at lunch time and EVERYONE had food, plus the plate of Cookies was going around. I was good: I resisted. I even came home and walked 2.5 miles. But I just keep thinking that maybe I need a new hobby, or a new preoccupation. I'm realizing that my life revolved around meals!

weight.png

Surgery Date: May 15th, 2007

333/316/180

Dr. Lin, Atlanta Georgia

MaryumC:

Isn't it a wierd time in your life when you realise what you have lived for for so long? I remember my 6 weeks of Medifast before my surgery and my 2 weeks after. I wanted to eat so many things, I would cry. I didn't realise what my addiction was until the pre-op diet. I remember having to go and throw myself into my computer and throw myself into playing with my kids and getting out of the house. I had to make sure that I didn't have anything bad around. I started cooking the healthy meals for my family before hand and had them get use to it. My 6 year old lost 10 pounds, she is much more active now. My 10 year olds stomach flattened out. I am so proud of the transformation we have all made.

I know it is hard now, but you will thank yourself for you willpower later. I noticed myself slipping a lot over the last few weeks (I am divorcing) and had to take a look at my eating habits and why I wasn't losing any weight or why I lost 6 pounds and gained it all back the next week and now I am back down the 6 pounds again. I had to tell myself and be aware of what I was putting in my mouth. I had to tell myself that in the end, my next 100 pounds is on my self control and what I decide to do with myself, the band can't tell me what I can and can't eat, but it can show me what it doesn't like.

The learning process alone of emotional eating and finding things to do instead is harder than the learning what you can and can't eat. I know that meat and veggies are the ideal, but why do I choose to eat potato chips or a cookie. I try not to deprive myself of everything, I try and make it a special treat once a week. I get to eat something that I have been craving, but I had better make it worth my while if I am going to pick something, so I don't regret it later. I had better pick the food that I miss the most. I only buy the smallest package I can find. I make sure that it stays at around 200 calories. I try not to overeat it.

You will find your way, we all do. It is just a long process to go through. I am 6 months out and I am still learning. I know someone that is 5 years out and is at goal weight and is still learning. It is a lifetime battle that we will continue to fight mentally, in my opinion.

Hello all

Have only just found this thread and i'm so pleased I have!! I was looking through the main threads and found people who only have a 50lbs or so to loose and was worried that there wouldn't be anyone as big as me :)

It is so inspirational to see the journey people have been on and the amount of weight people have managed to loose. I am trying hard and have the extra aim that my sister is getting married next summer so I am determined to look good as her maid of honour!

(Goodness me... Are there ever changes afoot at LBT! I liked the old, old look personally. Things are all askew with the newest version. :phanvan)

Well, I just weighed-in for my "official" 1-month post-fill check. I'm down TEN pounds since the 1st fill (min. goal had been 8.5#, 2 lbs. a week), so that is good! I've lost 38.5 lbs since my surgery!:high5:

But I'm also in a real funk. :tired I'm bored with the foods (no carbs), not wanting to exercise, and not getting in all my fluids either. :D I tend to have a great track record of effort for about 3-months on most diets I've tried, and then the weight loss stalls & I eventually go off the plan. Um..er..uh..my surgery was 11 weeks ago today. Even though I'm still loosing weight, I am apparently still "mentally" ready to quit. (And here's where the LapBand comes in handy, eh? :D)

I'm not regretting this decision at all or anything like that. It's just that I've hit a mental wall & don't know quite how to get past it. :frusty: This has been going on for a bit over a week, and I just can't shake it. :noidea: But I did get my 1st cycle since January at about the same time, so maybe this is just a wicked case of PMS? :) Perhaps when Aunt Flo leaves, she'll take my funk with her! Whaaaa! Would you like some cheese (but no crackers) with that whine?

In quasi-related news, the Queen has come to town. I live in Virginia and this year marks the 400th anniversary of the landing at Jamestown in 1607. Her majesty will take a carriage ride in Colonial Williamsburg early this evening to The Inn. I plan to be there with my kiddies & a zillion other people for this historic ride. I figure A) neither the kids nor I will ever get another chance to see the Queen of England, and :) a walk in C.W. to see the Queen will be a great way to force in today's 30 minutes of exercise. :drama: Maybe all I really need is a jumpstart...

Hey all. I'm new around here...thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I have a consultation on May 9th so we'll see how that goes!

:welcome:to the BMI 50+ thread, and to LBT! I hope you find all the support you need within our lil' corner of the Web. And I wish you much success on your journey to a healthier you!

:welcome:to the BMI 50+ thread, and to LBT! I hope you find all the support you need within our lil' corner of the Web. And I wish you much success on your journey to a healthier you!

Thanks.

Couldn't help but to notice we have the same name... I don't meet many Suzannes!!

This is a great place, but if you want more/different support on the same topic, check out ExtraordinaryBandsters@yahoogroups.com Some of the same people, many different, all started with BMI over 50, some up into the 90s.

dan

I have been wondering too what it would be like to live with the band after my weightloss is complete...the literature says you will gain weight when the band is removed...and that the band is considered permanent. I am trying to decide which surgery is best. I certainly appreciate that there are less complications with lap band.

What are your thoughts about "after loss life with the band?"

Thanks for your help

Ruth

After 4 years I can't imagine going back to life without the band. And you do NOT get the band removed. It'll go with you to your grave, same as an artificial hip or whatever.....assuming you take care of it. It'll definitely last longer than you will, and you'll last a lot longer WITH it than WITHOUT it. Really.

You DO have to learn to eat differently. VERY differently. But that's a good thing.

dan@riverofdata.com if you want more info. Or look at my website to see what it has done for me.

After 4 years I can't imagine going back to life without the band. And you do NOT get the band removed. It'll go with you to your grave, same as an artificial hip or whatever.....assuming you take care of it. It'll definitely last longer than you will, and you'll last a lot longer WITH it than WITHOUT it. Really.

You DO have to learn to eat differently. VERY differently. But that's a good thing.

dan@riverofdata.com if you want more info. Or look at my website to see what it has done for me.

Dan...I appreciate your websites...it is so encouraging...and you look great. I am starting to get the concept that the band is a tool...I still have to make the right choices...and as you wrote...pay for making wrong choices. Hummm I will finish my application for surgery

Hi Ya'll!

I'm 11 days out from surgery and had my 1st check-up with my regular doctor. He was very impressed with the small incesions Dr. Spevak made and was even more impressed when I hopped on the scale and had lost 20#...WooHoo!!!

He took me off 2 of my bp meds, too. DBL...WooHoo!!!

Thanks for all the help so far...

Hi Ya'll!

I'm 11 days out from surgery and had my 1st check-up with my regular doctor. He was very impressed with the small incesions Dr. Spevak made and was even more impressed when I hopped on the scale and had lost 20#...WooHoo!!!

Who-ha for you!!! Awesome to get off the meds! So glad you are doing well!

Hi Ya'll!

THat is totally awesome!

Dan...I appreciate your websites...it is so encouraging...and you look great. I am starting to get the concept that the band is a tool...I still have to make the right choices...and as you wrote...pay for making wrong choices. Hummm I will finish my application for surgery

Yes, the band is ONLY a tool. I can still drink milkshakes, eat ice cream all day, have lots of cream Soups, all sorts of "evil" things that would make me gain rather than lose.

Last year I DID gain 25 pounds eating comfort food and drinking LOTS of Starbucks Vente Hot Chocolates. Yes, I did it consciously, knowing I could get back on track later. Was spending lots of time with my dying brother, then his funeral.....then a couple months later my dying mother, then her funeral. When I needed a break I took this laptop to Starbucks and spent a few hours.....drinking....

But the tool still works, and I'm back below where I was 14 months ago before all that started....

Whenever you're ready, the band is ready (at least when it has a proper fill).

dan