Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This may be kind of a strange topic, maybe not but I figure it's worth mentioning if any of you pre-oppers are in a similiar boat.

So, about a year and a half ago I was in a car accident that resulted in pretty severe whip-lash (which I never thought was that big a deal until my ordeal) in the last six months I don't have so many problems any more and didn't really think to check off that I had "neck injuries" on the paper work for the anesthiaologist.

Boy, I wish I had, but I don't know if it would have made a huge difference. But I'm now almost five days post-op and have been recovering very well and almost have no pain from the actual surgery it's self.

However, I've been in EXCRUCIATING pain on the left side of my neck, and have been having severe migrains, I saw my massage therapist (who also happens to be a good friend) the day before surgery to help calm my nerves, and not because I was in any pain, but today she came over to see if she could help ease any of the pain when she discoverd that four of the vertabrae in my neck have been sublocated (twisted totally out of place). Our theory is my neck being in a weird position for a prolonged period of time and being moved around too quickly when they placed the breathing tube in for surgery must have caused this.

To make matters worse I had been getting a pretty rough, shooting pain on the same side under my left breast making it hard to get up, or lay down or breathe very deeply, which I assumed was probably gas. But tonight it's gotten so bad I can barely breathe or lay down and we discovered I also have a sublocated rib (which probably came about from the neck vertabrae being twisted since it's all attached the same muscle structure)

I don't think that this is due to any negligence on my surgeon and her teams part but it has really set off and reactivated previous problems from whiplash. Happily as far as any pain from the surgery itself I'm in tip top shape and feel great don't even need the pain meds anymore and feel like being more active - except for my neck and rib - they're excruciating and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do if I can't see a chiropractor tomorrow. Ugh!

So, while this isn't directly related to being banded, and may seem strange if you don't have these issues, I thought it may be helpful to those of you about to have surgery if you DO previous damage from whiplash or whatever else so you can be sure to let your surgery team know so they can be extra gentle with you and hopefully prevent you from finding yourself in this position.

Anyway, hope this cautionary tale helps some one!!! :)

after surgery, alot of people (including myself) had horrible neck (left side for me) and also my left arm, pain from the surgery (gas or whatever) and it took about 6 or 7 days for me to even get past that type pain.

hope that you are feeling better. if it hurts on a 9-10 scale, please contact your doctor. it should not be hurting that bad. your dr should be able to give you some relief meds.

I too had a bad accident and ended up with rotator cuff surgery and L4 L5 disloction and never thought a thing about telling Dr. I had horrible pain in all the same places you have . Good advice to give folks having the procedure, not sure if it will make a difference but it sure can"t hurt. Good Luck this to shall pass. And glad you are doing well otherwise.

Thanks Carolina - I did end up calling my doctor tonight and I'm going in this morning because the neck/rib pain is totally unbearable. I doubt they'll be able to do much for me, but they want to see me to rule out anything else in case there's more to it than my rib being out of place.

I know gas pain extremely well (Hello IBS) however this is something completely different, the pain meds won't even touch it and I've found some relief with muscle relaxants, and my LMT confirmed that vertabra were severely out of place.

As far as gas goes it seems like it's gone totally. Gas-x the first two days and I walked two blocks the day of surgery and have added a block every day since totally took care of that problem!

Just thought I ought to do a public service announcement in case others have injuries in similiar places so that hopefully this could be prevented for them.

Prayers for a speedy recovery

Thanks Carolina - I did end up calling my doctor tonight and I'm going in this morning because the neck/rib pain is totally unbearable. I doubt they'll be able to do much for me, but they want to see me to rule out anything else in case there's more to it than my rib being out of place.

I know gas pain extremely well (Hello IBS) however this is something completely different, the pain meds won't even touch it and I've found some relief with muscle relaxants, and my LMT confirmed that vertabra were severely out of place.

As far as gas goes it seems like it's gone totally. Gas-x the first two days and I walked two blocks the day of surgery and have added a block every day since totally took care of that problem!

Just thought I ought to do a public service announcement in case others have injuries in similiar places so that hopefully this could be prevented for them.

((sending hugs and feeling better love your way))

Lap Band Master. You are down 40 lbs already? Did this start when you started your liquid diet? How great for you!

Lap Band Master. You are down 40 lbs already? Did this start when you started your liquid diet? How great for you!

may 18th i started my liquid and had surgery on the 6th. (i read your post about pre/post liquid diets). the purpose of the liquid is to shrink your liver for surgery. try not to focus on the amount you lose (although it is exciting and is a wonderful feeling :) )

if you cheat on the (diets) you are only hurting yourself. follow your dr's instructions as best you can as they are there for a reason. its hard but its more mental than (i am starving). the first days are the hardest....my head hurt, i got the shakes but i pushed through and so will you. if you can do the liquids, you can do this. if you want to make yourself well, you will think positive thoughts and none of i cant, i am hungry, i am starving talk, think i am doing this so i can have surgery and so i can heal myself and make myself well.

thank you for the compliment on my weight loss. i appreciate that very much. you will get to that number soon. :)

all the best and am here if you ever need me.