Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Preop Diet? What Would You Do?

Ok so my first consult with my surgeon is tomorrow. I was checking out her website and printing out the paper work to fill out for my appointment, and I found that she doesn't require a preop diet. Just Clear liquids the day before surgery as well as bowel prep.

So my question is what would you do if your surgeon didn't require preop diet? Would you do one anyway, or just eat sensibly until surgery?

I would do Breakfast and lunch, Protein Shakes and then at dinner a nice salad with a broiled chicken breast. You will have to do liquids anyway after the surgery. Just as well do it early. Good luck with surgery.

My doctor required only the Sugar Buster's diet so that my liver would be smaller. Its not a bad diet whatsoever, you might want to check it out. Sooner or later, your eating habits are going to change. Good luck to you!!!

My doc only required liquids the day before and I was fine with that. Of course, I had my surgery the Monday following Thanksgiving. I still prefer no pre op diet. I think some of these docs go overboard and create a lot of skepticism for some of these patients. I know if I had to go on liquids for 2 weeks I'd be pissed.

tmf

I wasn't required to do a pre op diet either. Just the liquid diet the day before. I feel that not doing a pre op diet did not hinder my weight loss at all, and maybe helped to motivate me and get me through the first couple weeks post op. Good luck to you on your journey!

If my surgeon did not require a pre-op diet, then I wouldn't worry about doing one. However, he did require one and I did it and had my surgery. One of my earlier fill appointments was postponed because my surgeon was called into to assist another surgeon. Together they made the decision not to do that other patient's lapband because they had not followed the pre-op diet correctly and their liver was too large for them to complete the surgery.

The message for me was about the importance of following my surgeon's advice.

Thanks muelle that is very motivating especially since you got to your goal so quickly.

I think I will just be sensible about it. Maybe a Protein shake or 2 each day and healthy meats, fruits and veggies.

My doctor didn't required a pre op diet neither! Just don't eat or drink after midnight the night before that's it!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Mine didnt require a pre op diet either. Actually, i could eat normally till midnight the night before surgery. Guess my liver was fine. He doesnt do that across the board, I guess just case by case. Personally if it were me, i wouldnt go on a liquid diet before. I was on a liquid diet for 4the lllooonnggg week following and it wasnt fun.

Plus i got to get my 'last supper" in the night before surgery. Had ribs at Outback. Topped it off with cheesecake.

Again, if it would help u keep on track after ur surgery, then go ahead. But personally I wouldnt be on the liquid diet a day longer than I had to.

Good luck

Marci

I did not have any type of pre op diet and could eat whatever till midnight too. No problems at all. My dr & dietitian must be pretty liberal cause I had one week of liquids including Tomato Soup and pudding post op then soft food (ie. no lettuce raw carrots , etc) till 07/05/12 (my surgery was 06/05). Now I can eat whatever but still nervous about lettuce so have shied away from salad. Now only 2 weeks till first fill ewwww!

My pre-op diet was 2 weeks of Atkins diet. At my consult my surgeon showed me pictures of a thick liver and a thin liver and explained the importance of having a thin liver during surgery. His explaination was enough to convince me to do the Atkins diet for 2 weeks. It worked out well and I didn't feel the "punishment" of those crazy liquid pre-op diets.

My dr asks for only Optifast and Water for 2 weeks prior to surger, but that includes the Soups and bars, and he said if you are hungry you can have "natural" foods, ie unprocessed, but with no carbs. As I have already lost more than 20kg on my own by eating sensibly he said I could do it for 1 week instead. He said he wants to make the surgery as safe as possible. I'm buying it.

I did a self imposed preop diet. Protein Shake for breakfast and one for dinner; had low cal/fat high Protein lunch (chicken breast no skin and or fatty sauces). I did add about 1/3 cup of frozen fruit to the shakes. If you do a similar food plan pre op I would just be careful to monitor what you are putting in a shake. A small amount of fruit would be okay just don't add a cup worth. If you are on a doctor's ordered liquid diet DO NOT ADD FRUIT. If you like Peanut Butter go online and get PB2; because regular PB is super high in fat and cals. It's protein amount is not worth the cals is has.

I'm tentatively scheduled for surgery Aug. 16 (awaiting ins. approval) and my dr. doesn't require the pre-op liquid diet either. However, I asked the dietician about it and she said I could do it for 1 week prior if it makes me feel better. I'm worried about a fatty liver and that's why i'm choosing to do it. I don't want any complications at all. Plus, kind of like a practice run since I'll have to be on liquids after anyhow.

Good luck!

I'm on a pre-op diet and boy am I always hungry!

It kinda freaks me out because I know that I have to do

my part with diet and exercise and the lap band is not a

magic bullet. I'm hoping it will become easier with the band.....