Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am trying to find out more information on what I can and can't eat, when I can begin exercise, etc after I have my surgery. I am scheduled for July 26th. and have to be on a 10 day liquid diet before surgery however I am confused on what a normal day will be like after the surgury and post op. What will I be able to eat, not eat. What is better for you. I have never known what is "good" food or "bad" food, never been disciplined in learning the food groups. I did not have a weight problem as a child or teen it all started much later for me and I really just let it all happen. Now I'm having this surgery and I'm hearing different things. My doctor really has not told me what kind of diet there will be after other than I will only be able to eat very little and can not drink while eating. I realize everyone is different but if someone can tell me what they were allowed or not allowed to do after it certainly would help.

Thanks!

It really would be hard to answer this as post surgery is under your own doctors guidelines, i am sure they will inform u more when u have the surgery, most people have to go on liquids for an average period of 2 to 4 weeks after surgery, followed by the same time on mushies, then back to normal food, most are given clearance to start walking post op as soon as u can due to avoiding blood clots DVT etc and to get rid of gas pain that u may feel, this is due to gas they pump into you to expand your stomach while they fit the band. The time for healing is the post op around 6 weeks this time u use for getting used to having a band and learning to chew non stop, eating Protein first when u are on normal food and drinking your Water .. keeping hydrated throughout this process is essential.

Most nutritionists have their own take on what u should and shouldnt be eating, avoiding high calorie high carb foods seems pretty universal, and keeping processed foods to an absolute minimum are all really common sense stuff.

You may not even feel you have a band for some months after surgery untill the fills u will be getting start to kick in and give u some restriction, till then u will have to rely on your own willpower.

Are u required to do a pre-surgery diet some people are some arent. All your questions i would definitely write down and make sure u get them answered before u leave hospitaal :)

Wishing u a speedy recovery and good luck !

:)

My nutritionist said low fat low carb high Protein should be my focus daily get the protein first non starch vegis 2nd then my starch keep my daily calories around 1200 as far as what the band will ALLOWS me to eat that is individual kind of trial or error but general ruled are make sure its moist chew it VERY Well and take your time when eating and don't drink and eat at the same time

Hello:

Here's a link to my surgeon's website where he has all of the post surgery diet guidelines. Lots of helpful information here.

Good luck to you.

http://www.massweightloss.com/patients.php

Sue

seeing a nutritionist really helped me. she had me write out what i was going to eat in liquid, puree and soft food as homework and she helped me understand what i needed for everyday living pre & post surgery. our health network requires this.

I would definitely see a nutrionist before surgery because everyone who responds here is going to have different answers because we're all given different directions. I would also be sure to tell your doctor you need definite direction what to eat/not eat during the healing phase post op.

I eat around 1000 calories a day, at least 60g of Protein, no more than 125g of carbs, no more than 20% fat. (unlike many I don't do the extreme low carb thing)

Thank you all for the response, it does help :)

Sue, I have added the site to my favorites and just keep reading. Lots of good information!

Sue, I have added the site to my favorites and just keep reading. Lots of good information!

I added it to mine too! Thanks! :D