Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op, days 1-4 Clear Liquids after that , 2 weeks of full liquids but I had a small bake potato with sour dream I ate it slowly wondering if anything would happen I don't know what I expected obviously nothing happened but I pretty much skipped full liquids I weighted myself this morning I did not loose or gained stayed the same 20 lbs off since preop I'm finding this very hard to do plus no one knows I had this surgery I can only vent in this forum

I know this is hard. Super Super hard; and three weeks of liquids sounds excessive to me. Please follow your doctor's orders. At day six I was also on clears. I did only 1 week of full liquids before moving to soft mushies (yogurt) for a week. I would call you doctor and ask about moving to mushies in week 3 that might help you stick to liquids for the next 7 days. Also baked potato is not a mushie it is a solid.

I would stick to the rules. This is a time for your stomach to heal, it doesn't matter if you can eat it, it is the point that at this time you don't want your stomach working too hard because of the stitches that holds your band in place. If you pop those stitches it could be a slipped band. I know it is so hard but it is best to just stick to the diet.

hi mag, as the other posters said, please try to follow your dr orders, they are there for a reason. i dont know but i am guessing nothing will happen that you ate that potato, but what if it did? you went through alot to get this surgery. just a few more days and we can eat foods again.

hang in there :)

My nutritionist sucks she told me a potato is a mushie not a solid did not eat the skin just the inside and yes I should stay with liquids but I'm so sick of liquids 10 days before surgery and now is going on 3 weeks all together I'm glad I'm seeing my dr tomorrow it is very hard kudos for all of you that are doing it sometimes I'm double guessing my decision but thanks to all that reply , it really helps

Have you tried different types of liquids? Soups, broths, fat free popsicle or fat free Jello.

You can also have diet juices or add flavors to your Water.

Also Protein shakes, that does help so you are not so hungry.

You need to mix it up so you are not having the same thing everyday.

Believe me it was a very long two weeks for me also, but you can get thru it.

I asked my doctor if I could start mushies two days early and I was told,

"No, if you start cheating now you always will", so I waited.

Try to follow your doctors orders the best you can, it will pay in the end.

Good Luck

The above poster said it best " when you start to cheat it gets easier the next time. " Your stomache must heal.. Potatoes are like crack to bamders they slide down, they are easily accessible and they might have been a favorite food.

Down the road you will be able to have somethings and somethings will be part of your past..... your fat past. Hang in there do what they tell you.

Thin is better then anything you ever eat it will still be there tomorrow when the tempting food is flushed . You are on liquids to eat after surgery to heal and you also get an opportunity to break old habits. You can do that . Best of Luck.

The pre op and post op time was the most difficult time for me...and I had to be on a liquid diet for 4 entire weeks...2 weeks before the surgery, and 2 weeks after. This time taught me patience...and to take a day at a time. This will be a time to heal...

I wanted to share that white potatoes are not a good choice for cheating or mushies...they are a carb which quickly gets converted to sugar by the body. Those kinds of carbs often lead to craving more carbs...a poor eating pattern which caused many of us to gain weight in the past. My surgeon advised that a white potato may be a carb choice for meals, but only after 6 months post op.

Another valid point shared by others is that if you begin this journey by giving yourself permission to "cheat"...you create a poor mindset for diet compliance. Cheating on your diet will become easier, and before you may even be aware you may become one of the individuals who gets discouraged with their lack of weight loss.

Now is the time to redefine your relationship with food...understand that it is not your friend. And that there are foods which you will have to strictly limit or even eliminate from your diet entirely.

You success will be determined by your level of motivation to be compliant with your diet, and how much you want to loose your excess weight.

Best wishes...

One thing to consider is to call your surgeon's office if you feel like you need to move to the next phase. You might be surprised. When my husband was banded, he was getting tired of the liquids, so he called the office for permission to move ahead to mushies two days early. Permission granted!

Also, remember that each nutritionist, surgeon , etc. have different rules, recommendations, etc. It is always best to consult them before making any changes. This forum is wonderful for support, motivation, and advice; however.... YOUR lapband staff is the only one that knows your own personal situation. ;)

I agree to ask your doctor about advancing your diet. They let me advance to puréed 2 days early and said if that goes well, go ahead and try soft foods. I have been doing great on soft foods here and there and I'm 10 days out. Everybody is different. Call and ask!

You never know till you ask i was in the same boat my nutritionist allowd me to skip my soft food stage because i did so well on mushy pureed full liquid i was thrilled and iv found its not easier eating food like i thought lol but im doing good! Good luck

6 days post op, days 1-4 Clear liquids after that , 2 weeks of full liquids but I had a small bake potato with sour dream I ate it slowly wondering if anything would happen I don't know what I expected obviously nothing happened but I pretty much skipped full liquids I weighted myself this morning I did not loose or gained stayed the same 20 lbs off since preop I'm finding this very hard to do plus no one knows I had this surgery I can only vent in this forum

please dont eat any more baked potatoes... at least not for a while. i know what you are going through post op. its jolly well hard going. Just start back on your liquids again.

Can you add more spices to your Soups? if you can satisfy your taste buds with more flavour it will make things better for you. when i was on full liquids i put mild salsa in my Soups, garlic powder, you name it, i used it lol. when i took a mouthful the flavour stayed in my mouth long after i had swallowed. thats important i think. it enables you to savour your food even though your food intake is limited right now.

How sad that you dont have anyone at all to share the lapband experience with at home.... and, yes, you are right, this group is marvellous, and we do care about each other. Keep posting. you will always get support here

Only my husband knows ive had surgery... and i have three children, my mum still is alive, plus three grandchildren. My youngest daughter knows as well but she doesnt live here.

If i didnt have hubbie to share it all with and use as a sounding board, i would feel very lonely i think, so you are doing really well.

just dont do yourself any damage though... go back onto your liquids, and like i said, add more flavour if you really need to. Best of luck. judy

I cheated too. I'm 5 days post op and I had pureed clam chowder and a margarita yesterday! At least I didn't eat the bread that came with it!

Today is another day and a clean slate. Don't beat yourself up, just get back on track. No one is going to judge you here. We're all struggling together! :-)

I agree with everyone else - don't let yourself cheat. You probably went through a lot just to get here - you are strong enough to live the diet and you are strong enough to control yourself. Call you dr. and ask their opinion and then stick to it. Do what is best for you in the long run. You can do this.