Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Surgery Wednesday And Feel Awful

Band June 14...had gas pains....took gas x strip...just one, and all pain gone...feel like myself again

The first day after surgery was the worst for me. My MD showed up and I told him there was no way I could go home that day. He said I could stay if I couldn't tolerate liquids. I managed fluids and felt better as the day went on. Now 11 days post op the only pain is right at the port. It is still swollen there and a bit bruised. Day 2 and 3 were a bit rough but it helped to be home. I should add that I have had 7 surgeries in the past 7 years so getting through surgery is a bit of a predictable path for me. If it is your first surgery it is hard to put it all into perspective but it does get better every day. Hang in there.

today was somewhat better with pain but tonight my nausea is back i think its due to me not having a BM since last Monday, any suggestions? i just feel like i can't put another thing in my mouth to drink without puking.

Yes walk walk walk like others have said. I didn't follow this and ended up getting blood clots. I was in pain so I didn't feel like walking then I regretted it. I used a hearing pad for my shoulder pain and it did wonders :-)

Donna, our issues are exactly the same. Probably because we were both banded on the same day. The back pain is horrible and my whole left side aches. I walk and yet no gas passes. I am drinking skim milk and so far have had only 2 very small BM's since day 2. (Day 2 I had diarrhea :-/). Anyways, I am just trying to live it out day by day waiting for it to get better. Keep in touch and let me know if it gets any better for you and any tips you may have, and I will vice versa!

Glad to hear things are getting better. My routine was: rest, pain meds, gas-x, walk multiple times throughout the day.

today was somewhat better with pain but tonight my nausea is back i think its due to me not having a BM since last Monday' date=' any suggestions? i just feel like i can't put another thing in my mouth to drink without puking.[/quote']

I had to take milk of magnesia (cherry flavored) now twice and it's made me feel SO much better! I've added Fiber chews and stool softener as well.

I was also banded on Wed. By day 3 I felt great, even took a trip out of the house for a change of walking scenery. I too have had the gas pains, and still have a little trapped in my shoulder area, but for the most part its gone, and what a relief that is! Im not having the typical Constipation Post op tho...My bosy has kinda gone the other way, and after ready all these posts Im now a lille concerned about what it might mean...

My Dr. said to take a mild laxative. I felt much better. Dox